opinions needed for buying a car

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by anticupidon, Mar 11, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Hello gents !
    Don't know if the right place to ask or the right place for this thread, but here it goes.
    I need to replace my old dying '97 Passat.I will not buy a brand new car, i want a used one.
    I want a sedan with good mileage.I make aroud 15.000 km /year and 80% town 20% highway trips.
    Now, the budget is around 7000€ top.
    Had a debate with few knowlegde people with hand-on experience in car repair and received mixed opinions.
    Some said that diesel is not a option anymore(diesel gate just confirmed their theories) and go with a japanese petrol sedan, Mazda, Honda or Toyota.
    Some said that diesel is more economic and get a used VW, Skoda or KIA.
    For now, i am looking at Toyota Corolla, Honda Civic, Acord and some other models.
    Well, i would like some input here, maybe will get the whole picture laid out more easily, and decide what to buy.

2. nz3777

nz3777 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 980 Radeon 5500
    Honda and toyota is a no-brainer my friend they last 4 ever are very easy /cheep to work on. Having had both I would pick honda.Disel will net you better milage but as economic and afficent todays engines are you schould be good to go with a regular motor-dont even worry about it.

1)Honda accord 4 door
    2)Toyota corolla S 4 door- a little more sporty.
    3)Mazda 6 is also very nice and the brand in general has only gotten better in the last 10+years.

You cant go wrong with either one here.Good luck and enjoy the new ride.

3. N0sferatU

N0sferatU Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 Ultra
    Life is too short to drive boring cars. Go get something with excitement. With the terms you use it seems you're in Europe. I'm from the US so I'm not as familiar with all the various models in your part of the world.

Maybe look at some hot hatches if you're on a budget. Something like a VW GTI equivalent.

4. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    Life if too short to work, go jump off the cliff for adrenaline and see how it goes.
    Life is too short to care about tomorrow, spend whatever you have and life like there no tomorrow.
    Life is too short to do boring stuff, get some drugs to get yourself excited and party like beast.

Cars are nothing but a tool to get person from point A to point B.
    While someone needs to drive Porsche and fart some noise to make himself feel significant, other people do other things to make themselves happy.

Toyota Corolla is no brainier when it comes to car selection. Japanese car overall seems to last longer, and its also proved on Russian roads by Russian drivers.
    If you want to spice things a little, consider Subaru Legacy B4. It's a bit more powerful than Corolla with 2000-2500 cc engine, so might run better than Corolla if you load your car. Fuel efficiency, probably going to Corolla with standard 1500 cc engine.

Just make sure you buying not a broken car. No matter how well-built car might be, bad owner could ruin it. Engine issues are not visible to ordinary owners, better make sure to take it for inspection. If there nothing wrong with it, you can prolong life of a car by changing oil once in a year and some other basic things that affect older cars condition a lot more with age.

Good luck and have fun in choosing!

5. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8

Totally Agree^

6. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    No offense, but that's just your opinion. I would never buy a car based purely on how easily it gets me from point A to point B. I want something fun.

7. lexer98

lexer98 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1070 - WC
    Honda Civic ? I just searched on a used UK car web page and they cost arround 7k.
    The Honda VTEC engine is a bulletproof engine and with good gas millage

8. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    I'm guessing the OP is living within Europe.

Maybe a VW Golf or similar? That gets you the best of both worlds, reliable and fun/quick at the same time.

9. GREGIX

GREGIX Master Guru

GPU:
    Inno3d 4090 X3
    As my mechanic says, mazda 6 parts are more expensive than others. And my sis in law have mazda 6 2005 and does not like it. 2y owned car and brakes are failing now, something with brakes. Earlier door lock, and some other probs.

Pick Toyota or Mitshubishi

Personally I had mercedes benz, good car 1992y, then bmw 525 91, good but...more expensive parts and less reliable than merc, then passat diesel 2000y, shiet. never ever passat. Last I had nissan almera 2003, but crap engine failure with chain healed me from love to this brand. And was not comfy.
    Now I have Mitsubishi lancer 2008 and cannot complain. Well, engine could be bigger, but then here, in Ireland, my insurance would go insanely up, same as road tax...so 1.5l must be enough.

7grands are enough I think to aim in 2009+ range. Look with cars with service history.

And aim in petrol, diesels may be more economic, less fuel eaten, but...when crap like particulate diesel filter is broken you got very expensive part to fix. Or turbo.
    No diesel man.

10. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    My wife loves her Corolla but it's the US version.

11. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    I would agree and disagree as well, I know few friends who are have Honda Civic with K20 engine and they see would say same, bulletproof engine, but when I'm looking at our Honda Civic Type R with K20 engine, we are went through 3 engines, seems like on our car, Honda forgotten how to do it bulletproof :)

Personally I would go with Subaru, they're great cars with very nice engine and if you choose non turbo engines they're will go and go, over here people use these engines with LPG as they seems are better suited to that as turbo engines, just stay away from 2.5L engines, these engines are prone to headgasket failure

Other car options, get Japanese car, it will be better on longer run, they're build better and last longer

Diesel car are option if you do lots of miles per year and if you do 15k then I would say in yours case is not worth it to have plus as right now most companies trying to not make diesel car or engines because scandal over emissions plus on longer run not sure if EU or even some countries will put extra tax ob diesel as they pollute more than petrol cars

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura

12. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    Practicality is more important than driving a fancy car unless you have enough money for both. My last car was a manual transmission that I bought when I was 18 because it was "cool". The first Fast and the Furious had just come out and everyone was getting into stupid rice mobiles. Worst decision I ever made. Traffic in my area is so ridiculous that a manual trans is practically useless. Plus you can never really go faster than 55mph with all the traffic anyway so why bother buying something with 9000+ horsepower to use none of it.

Had the car for 12 years, sold it and bought an automatic AWD sedan for snowy weather.

13. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3090 FE
    So would I, but last time I checked when I took a dump, it wasn't money that I dropped in the toilet.

With that in mind, I've stopped caring about my car and while everyone else is driving their fancy German cars, I have a lot more cash to spend on ... well just the overall quality of my life.

As much as I would obviously love a fun and exciting car, it's also one of the biggest places where one can save a lot of money with minimum impact on how your everyday life goes.

Also, in Belgium, Diesel prices are slowly but surely creeping up. In a few years I expect it to be pretty much equal to normal gas.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2017
  14. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    [​IMG]

j/k...:D

Lex Luthor likes this.
  15. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    You're making the assertion that it's one or the other.

A well thought out purchase can result in both without spending much money. Not everyone buys cars based on poor movies, the fact you did is entirely on you.

PS: The entire "manual trans" nonsense is just that. A chunk of the rest of the world finds it hilarious that certain people in the US never learn to drive properly. I'd be far happier if people were forced to learn stick from the get go.

16. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    Yep^...hand eye coordination is key to control of anything...anyone/everyone would be better off learning a stick first....

17. lexer98

lexer98 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1070 - WC
    My neighbor has Subaru Impresa RX 2.0 N/A with over 350.000KM engine never opened. Still running like a champ :wanker:

18. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    I daily a manual in the US with no problems, lol. I enjoy it. Even traffic isn't really a big deal. You just have to get out of the mindset of having to ride the bumper of the car in front you like you do in an automatic. I mean, I get it, I really do. Most people don't care and just want to get from A to B. I'm just saying it's an opinion at the end of the day. You don't even need a lot of power to have a fun car. Hot hatches are a great balance of fun and practicality.

19. dd4000

dd4000 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1050Ti 4GB
    What country are we talking about?

20. PinguX

PinguX Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX580 8GB
    Honda Civic or Toyota Avensis petrol (diesel is too pollutant)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.