What vid cards have UEFI GOP Support?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by CybrSage, Oct 30, 2012.

Tags:
  1. CybrSage

CybrSage Member Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 560Ti
    I want to use the Ultra Fast Boot feature of Win8, but I do not know which vid cards support UEFI GOP. Without it, one cannot use the Ultra Fast Boot feature.

I currently have a MSI 560TI Twin Frozr III, but it does not support this needed feature.

2. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    As far as I can tell, GOP is a UEFI feature, not a graphics card feature.
    Unless a graphics card doesnt support standard modes and a version is brought out to be GOP compliant, there is no need for GOP compliance in gfx cards.

http://embedded.communities.intel.c...adors/blog/2011/01/18/ask-a-bios-guy-uefi-gui

3. CybrSage

CybrSage Member Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 560Ti
    I can say that, unless the graphics card supports it, you cannot use the Ultra Fast Boot feature. The BIOS stops the boot process and says No. It does give you the option to continue anyway - but then you will get a black screen and have to reset your BIOS to default to do anything. I just did it. :)

Here is what ASRock says in their latest BIOS update:

Note: "Ultra Fast" is only supported by below conditions.
    1. OS is Windows 8.
    2. Graphics supports UEFI GOP.

4. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme

5. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
  6. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    None of the current GTX 500 series support UEFI GOP. The BIOS isn't large enough for the code. The GTX 600 series does have a UEFI capable BIOS but I'm not aware of any models that currently have this enabled.

7. CybrSage

CybrSage Member Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 560Ti
    Thanks all! Maybe I just need to wait until the next generation of vid cards to obtain it. I am like a kid in a candy store and they are all out of Reece's Peanut Butter Cups. :(

8. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    There is the MSI GTX670 PE, mentioned it earlier, they made a hybrid BIOS for it.
    Contact MSI and see if they can produce a hybrid BIOS for other cards if that one isnt what you want.

In my last post, there is a link where it says this:

9. CybrSage

CybrSage Member Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 560Ti
    Sweet, I will do that.

10. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    EVGA is also looking into this for their 600 series...

From Jacob EVGA Product manager:

There will be an update in the near future that you can apply if you want to use UEFI boot.

It was not added as default since there are many motherboards that do not support UEFI VGA BIOS (especially legacy)

http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.aspx?m=1767531

11. richkerk90

richkerk90 Guest

GPU:
    MSI RADEON RX480 8GB DDR5
    Can i ask if a MSI RADEON RX480 GAMING 8GB GPU supports UEFI GOP for Asrock's ULTRA FAST bios setting?

I went ahead and searched on Google and It seems there's nothing i can find that can tell me for definate

Can you help?

12. BuildeR2

BuildeR2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 4090 TUF OG OC
    For sure, 100%. I just recently built a new Skylake build for a close friend and that is the GPU he bought. He is running Windows 10 on an SSD and using all of the Ultra/Fast boot options. Power on to desktop in 14 seconds.

13. richkerk90

richkerk90 Guest

GPU:
    Thanks a bunch , it's booted! I've been asking around on a few forums and what not. Nobody replied or didn't know for definite until I just reed your comment on here. Also Earlier I've noticed I have got an unknown device with an exclamation mark next to it in device manager. I've heard it's something to do with the Windows 10 anniversary update. What should I do about this?

Device instance path: ROOT\USBKCXTRLER\0000
    Hardware IDs: ven_1934&dev_1205

Should i just delete this?

14. BuildeR2

BuildeR2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 4090 TUF OG OC
    No problem. Glad to help out. As for that unknown device, I'm not sure exactly what it is but it seems to be USB related. You could try downloading the motherboard drivers from the manufacturers website, extract them to a folder and try to manually install the correct driver. Or, if all of your USB ports seem to work you could disable, delete or just leave the device alone.

15. richkerk90

richkerk90 Guest

GPU:
    Unfortunately there appears to be no USB Drivers listed via the motherboard website available for my operating system but all my USB slots seem to be responding to a flash drive being inserted. I think I'll take your advice and disable it.

16. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
  17. Kevin Wagener

Kevin Wagener Guest

GPU:
    GeForce 8800 GTS
    Graphics Output Protocol - It's both. It's needed if you want to enable Secure Boot and Fast Boot modes in Windows 8/8.1/10/11 (Windows 11 requires these modes enabled or it won't install). To fully support these modes, GOP must be supported by the GPU, the UEFI BIOS on the motherboard and a TPM module must be installed, enabled and configured.

I'm trying to make my system compatible with Windows 11 which requires GOP, TPM and Secure Boot and I had the same issue. My UEFI BIOS supports things just far enough to say that it doesn't support the rest of it and I get the same message. If I select "continue anyway (f2)" the screen goes black, the same as yours but if I wait, it does arrive at the Windows lock screen, I just don't see the busy-spinner thing while it's booting. Presumably it has something to do with a non-GOP graphics card not being secure until a certified Windows driver is loaded, so in secure boot mode, the card is turned off until Windows is able to control its security. I'm guessing that in a fully compliant system, GOP and TPM work together to secure the graphics card from POST onwards, long before the OS starts to load.