AMD Catalyst (Modified Build)

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by TwL, May 29, 2010.

?

Should the Official INF be modified or not ?

Poll closed Jul 21, 2010.
  1. Yes (I want to go through registry and copy GUIDs to .reg file and add changes separately.)

5 vote(s)
    8.9%
  2. No (Functions should be editable as usual in CCC straight after install.)

25 vote(s)
    44.6%
  3. Both (I want to have official INF in install, separated modified INF & 'Functions.reg' as choice)

26 vote(s)
    46.4%
  1. TwL

TwL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x5850 2x6950 + 9800GTX
    @offtopic ?

I actually will be using Arctic Cooling MX-4 (GPU) + CoolingLiquid Pro Liquid Metal Badge (on VRM and memory) with Zalman cooler pushing and drawing the air through
    2 200mm fans to middle of the box. with help of couple 120mm fans.

-edit-

o fail to mention.. the VRM is gonna be easy to install with any thermal paste in general on these cards, but you should worry on memory as it has like 1mm
    hole below heat sink(exactly like NVIDIA cards) unless of course using 3rd party solutions which has their own cooling block to add to each memory block.

Damn, that's cool.. But I actually want an copper cooler on air. I have here water cooling units, but I am not willing to use them. I do believe in clean closed
    water cooling solutions like Corsair H50/70, but I will not go to water cooling other than closed solutions.

Beside it would not be fair to build against below normal conditions. :)

Actually you probably would want to have VF1000 it's none closed clean copper with very very tight area of close comparing to VF3000 series I was
    considering these dual fan monsters, but they are too noisy and the metal on top of the VF3000 blocks will on some point start to keep it's own noise.

as for thermalright well I ain't big fan of this company bought some of their CPU coolers and have 1 of their GPU coolers and 1 after another they suck in every sense of the word. ;P

@On Topic

This would be pretty common issue. Only drivers you could use to fix this are the v10.7 series of drivers or 10.9a. and only builds by me are v3.95(10.7a baseline) and v4.20 (10.9a baseline).

I will probably be building another set to fix the issue although there is an 3rd party reg fix or this, but still I think the 10.7a and 10.8 are twice as fast as baseline driver than anything new out of AMD/ATI and, if there's gonna be an patch unless AMD/ATI driver team will patch the 10.7a this year :3eyes: as preview or 10.10 WHQL I have nothing to work with unless I want clean profiling and application updates only.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2010
  2. VIPet

VIPet New Member

GPU:
    Sapphire HD4870-1024Mb
    Hi, TwL. you yet didn't lead operation on creation of a patch for switch-off of check by drivers, presence original ATI'adapter.

3. crushilista

crushilista Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 670
    I'm getting FPS in the 20s in Fallout: New Vegas. Going to switch over to main drivers until that gets fixed, no offense.

Nm, appears to be a common glitch.... sigh.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2010
  4. TwL

TwL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x5850 2x6950 + 9800GTX
    Actually, I did look at the batch style to drivers, but I haven't been able to build such hack to the current drivers. Problem is probably me being too stupid
    to build such, but I will try it later. Why didn't the author add it straight up I wonder. Perhaps same multiple checks as in turning these HD5 cards to FireGL
    etc, which is present on new drivers. Which will not allow the CCC again to be installed, if only 1 section of driver is patched.

Anything we see out, atm, 'new' is gonna be common glitch in a sense there's some odd policy since 10.2 on ATI/AMD driver team that what ain't on logs
    ain't gonna work. Now, as someone called my effort to cheap cooling solution 'sad' I'd say this is even worst. :)

What makes this even absolutely horrid situation is the idea that going back to drivers which actually still did work to every game even new are again so
    old that they are either incompatible or too slow to use with new games, but hell the idea of using such drivers would defeat any concept of error on any new game again.

5. Sevenz

Sevenz Active Member

GPU:
    ATI HD4870 512MB
    TwL,

I think you misunderstood the guy because English doesn't appear to be his first language.

You said that you removed the plastic from your card and added only an inexpensive fan, which greatly improved performance.

He said "Will this mean the Stock Heatsink is actually freaking awesome?
    Why they didn't include a bigger fan or stronger fan to begin with? Sad."

What I think he's saying is that, 1) the stock heatsink must be great to begin with (since you only added a fan and nothing else), and so he wonders 2) why ATI doesn't just use better fans on their cards to begin with. And it's 3) sad that they don't.

That's the way I read it. :)

Much respect,

Sevenz

6. r0sWell

r0sWell Member

GPU:
    MSI Hawk 5770 @ 1015/1380

@ TwL :
    dual GFX is a good thing, but there's no mobility driver from ATI we can use, only MSI's ones :puke2:

the official ATI/AMD ones doesn't work, and it's clearly written at the DL page too.
    (i saw that after tried many times to install officials without success)

by chance the one from MSI seems not so old (i think) : v 8.733

[The real dream for our configs would be modded drivers each month that could be in fact installed & working on dual GFX laptops] :nerd:

i didn't tested so much after applying the "mobility patch", but on Borderlands & SC2 there's no problem at all (no crash, quite fast but i didn't benchmarked, what particular point should we look at ?).

by the way my laptop res. is 1366x768 (not sure if ATI thinks it's "HD" and works as it should)

thx again for the improved drivers & the time you work on them !

- EDIT -
    maybe you should separate your "desktop drivers" thread and "mobility drivers" thread for the future if you develop both of them ?

7. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    Offtopic
    Why? Afraid of leaks?
    The Corsair H50/70 is not much different, check out Swiftech, they got a solution with pump,res and rad in one unit, from 120 to 360 rad solutions I believe.
    And you can get their neoprene hoses for it too!
    I don't use the fancy hoses you can get from PC Shops, I trust more in armed fuel hoses, actually my hoses are only 8mm inside, but its more than enough to keep up the flow.
    Currently I'm trying to figure out how to mod my case so I can throw a big rad inside instead, might need to cut out above my PSU.

Ontopic
    Did you try to play around with 10.10 yet?
    I found an issue with the beta, but maybe you can stabilize it on long runs.
    But I guess a real release is more interesting, might even have the minor issues fixed.
    Until then I stick with a TwL version.

8. sprower

sprower Master Guru

GPU:
    TriFire5770 9800GT Physx
    That's pretty much why I went H50. Also for my first build I had enough to worry about without noobing around with custom watercooling. Even managed to squeeze it inside a mid case with a little modding. I was quite pleased in terms of performance and aesthetics.

@10.10 he mentions somewhere up there that it's not up to par with 10.7/.8

9. TwL

TwL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x5850 2x6950 + 9800GTX
    Nah, I simply dislike the whole idea of Water as cooling method. I do understand dry ice and perhaps some other extreme methods when needed and those are fun, but as an 'extreme 24/7' water just ain't my thing.

Actually I am pretty happy now that I got the Zalman Cooler it's 48-51c across the card on full load Furmark. I am using the stock metal pad below
    Zalman cooler as someone on store screwed up and left the VRM cooling unit out from the box which I also ordered. :(

But 51c on full load while overclocked to 925/1200 Mhz is damn good temps.

I did not haven't even started to check the new in full I mean on middle of hexacore/X58/DDR3 update here and coolers on GPUs and so on and this
    takes exactly as long as it takes. I will buy ideal marketing prices and nothing else so 2-4 weeks since couple weeks ago.

As for testing new drivers I will continue today/tomorrow now that I got my ATI Card back up and running been testing HD48XXx2 card and was
    benchmarking with HD3650 yesterday. Looks like older we go the older baseline we need to make them run ideal. As for 10.10b it's not really a fast
    driver to use, but it might be good baseline driver in itself. Just need to build a set and test it up.

10. crushilista

crushilista Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 670
    I found a fix posted in the games section for New Vegas. Turns out that it was a direct x 9 bug, and that inserting an old one that made it think it was an old nvidia card, then jacking up the eye candy gets me straight sixty fps.

11. MerolaC

MerolaC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AsRock RX 6700XT
    Yes, in New Vegas there is a new DirectX release used solely for the game.
    So, a bug makes sense.

12. Von Dach

Von Dach Master Guru

GPU:
    NV560Ti @900/2394 ATI4890
    From http://forums.amd.com/game/messageview.cfm?catid=262&threadid=112302&enterthread=y

I removed my second bridge, now with only one connection I can play L4D2 with v4.24b CFX without random crash/issues. So for CFX people, only one bridge increase stability, performance is the same.

Edit: Oh and ATI Catalyst 10.10 driver is out! http://sites.amd.com/us/game/downloads/Pages/downloads.aspx

ATI Catalyst 10.10a Hotfix: http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/GPU84AMDCatalyst1010aHotfix.aspx

Last edited: Oct 22, 2010
  13. DarkSilver

DarkSilver Active Member

GPU:
    Palit GeForce™ GTX 670 JS
    TwL, you should try the AMD CCC 10.10 and CCC 10.10a hotfix out.

Personally, I tested the CCC 10.10a hotfix and it works flawlessly on my PC.
    It even surpass your TwL Genetix 4.20(at least for me).

Maybe it's time for you to tinker around it! YEAH!! I hope you can produce a better Genetix driver out of it. High hope on you. Hehehe.

14. TwL

TwL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x5850 2x6950 + 9800GTX
    @DarkSilver

Well, if there's nothing to fix why even try ?

I am not competing with anyone here to make ultimate drivers to people. I started this thread to fix none functional issues there was on features and functionality not to even consider building against speed of the driver.

Although, I think I said that AMD will release the same branch as 10.7a build soon enough and we just got it. This build is extremely good and it will be better than any of my sets as they delayed this driver since 10.9 and, if they managed to fix the DX9.

@commonly

Either way, I will make an attempt on some point to build new set against old or new drivers. We now got the driver I was waiting for see did AMD actually did better job on
    core driver as well which would be really good news otherwise we'll have to stick on 10.7a or 10.8 max.

15. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    Sorry but ATI's 10.8 baseline is still a piece of sh*t
    Performance and stability is better with the other baselines on a reference clocked single card.

Now, there is Morph AA.
    Conceptually, this method promises results similar to super-sampling, but with performance comparable to edge-detect AA.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2010

16. Von Dach

Von Dach Master Guru

GPU:
    Here 10.10 CFX BF:BC2 = lot of fps drops like 10.6 to 10.9, long map loading time.

10.10 single card is ok but gameplay become slugggish under heavy action (Explosions, smoke, etc)

v1.08 still better for HD4xxx CFX
    v4.24b still better for single card HDXanything

17. offmarsboy

offmarsboy Member

GPU:
    HD5850 @ 850/1200mhz
    are you using 10.10 a + 10.10caps?

18. Von Dach

Von Dach Master Guru

GPU:
    I'm using ATI Catalyst 10.10 + Profiles 10.10.

I don't understand why a fork for HD6xxx (10.10a Hotfix) can benefit my good old HD4xxxs, but I'll try it too today.

19. Eastcoasthandle

Eastcoasthandle Guest

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    Can anyone explain why hue and brightness sliders don't save any more? Yes, you can move the slider to the number of your choice but one you hit the apply button it goes back to 0.

Edit:
    TWL, your crap cleaner seems to have fixed it (in safe mode). Here's the interesting bit (Cat 10.9) when I click on CCC the calibrated profile disables (as the screen turns a bit washed out) I go ahead and make the changes to hue and it stays when I hit the apply button. I then go over to color management & uncheck "Use my settings for this device" then recheck it and my calibrated profile re-activates.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2010
  20. Von Dach

Von Dach Master Guru

GPU:
    10.10a Hotfix BF:BC2

CFX: fps drops like 10.6 to 10.10
    Single card: better than 10.10, no slow down, not sluggish under heavy explosions & smoke. Map loading time is fast.