New Upcoming ATI/AMD GPU's Thread: Leaks, Hopes & Aftermarket GPU's

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by OnnA, Jul 9, 2016.

1. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    $$$$$$

2. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    Samsung has 3.5-inch 120Hz OLED: next-gen VR panels

Samsung has been teasing its new 1.96-inch 4K LCD, but its next-gen 3.5-inch OLED sounds much more appealing because it's closer than the super-small 1.96-inch LCDs.

The new 3.5-inch display comes in at 858 PPI, and has been "optimized for VR devices, 120Hz for wearable and tablet OLED products are displayed for smooth picture quality". Samsung is making the new 120Hz display with an OLED panel and HDR support, with Samsung also touting low power consumption on the 3.5-inch OLED.

The wording here could indicate that these new panels are not 120Hz for VR, as Samsung says: "3.5-inch size, 858ppi optimized for VR devices, 120Hz for wearable and tablet OLED products are displayed for smooth picture quality". It is a translation, so we could expect VR at a different refresh rate - but I really doubt that.
    The next jump for VR from 90Hz will be 120Hz, at least.

3. Evildead666

Evildead666 Guest

GPU:
    Vega64/EKWB/Noctua
    The way i see it, 2048bit interface for HBM, up to 512bit for GDDRxx.
    You'd have to allocate more pins and die for something that may not be used ever.
    The smaller Vega might be GDDRxx, akin to the GP100/102.

Have we had any info on small Vega yet ?

4. Maddness

Maddness Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080 Aorus Xtreme
    Not a lot of info really. Just pretty much rumors at this stage.

5. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    I'm pretty sure AMD is dual sourcing from SK Hynix/Samsung. Raja mentioned both companies as suppliers during the AMA. I know Nvidia definitely sources from both and doesn't seem to have any problems in terms of supply. So either Nvidia is buying all the HBM2 up or Vega isn't effected by HBM supply.

Last edited: May 23, 2017
  6. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Mi25/IGP
    It should be noted nvidia is using 4 stacks and lower binned memory(only 720gb/s despite double the bus width), the quadro gp100 cards which are the closest equivalent also cost 5000$+ and are considerably lower volume products.

Consumer vega by contrast requires higher binned memory, much higher volume and will sell for much less.

hbm2 I think is the weakest link in the supply chain since it has had numerous delays and yield issues hynix still only lists hbm2 1.6gbps 4gb available in their q2 databook http://www.skhynix.com/static/filedata/fileDownload.do?seq=421

I would not be suprised if hbm2 not being ready is the main reason vega hasn't launched yet

7. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    For consumer vega, yeah - but why wouldn't AMD already be shipping/activating MI25 cards at similar price points if HBM was the only thing holding it back?

Liquidsky for example was supposed to get them several months ago.

https://community.liquidsky.tv/t/if...d-aswell-or-only-the-elite-plan-would/29696/9

This came up a few weeks ago and on the AMD subreddit half the people basically said they have the MI25 cards but can't use them until Vega ships (which makes no sense to me) the other half say Liquidsky hasn't received them yet.

Like architecturally AMD definitely has the better chip in terms of compute workloads vs Pascal. They could charge the same $5K for their HBM2 cards and bang out awesome margins. But they aren't and yet Nvidia utilizing HBM2 is. So obviously it's not the HBM, or it's not just the HBM holding it back.

And yeah, SK just removed the 2.0 gbps chips off their site when they announced the GDDR6 stuff.

8. Romulus_ut3

Romulus_ut3 Master Guru

GPU:
    NITRO+ RX5700 XT 8G
    By the time VEGA hits the market, nvidia will have Volta cards out in the market with a distinct advantage that'll likely push GTX 1080 Ti to take up the position currently occupied by GTX 980 Ti/Fury X/GTX 1070. And again, AMD will be competing for mid-upper mid range market.

I'd very much like for AMD to prove me wrong. We need competition in this segment like we had back in the GTX 200/400/500/600/700 VS HD 4000/5000/6000/7000/R9 200 cycle.

Last edited: May 24, 2017
  9. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    Most likely due to money constraints.
    I don't see them catching up anytime soon.

10. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    If they bring Volta with GDDR6 we will see them 2018. Expecting Vega to be out then?

11. RexOmnipotentus

RexOmnipotentus Guest

GPU:
    Vega 64
    Always wait and see for yourself before you buy into someone else's bull****. What the OP of that thread posted wasn't true and the thread is already deleted.

In this thread https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/6cpb3g/rx_vega_to_be_released_shortly_after_vega_fe_not/ you'll find a link to an audio file in which SU talks about the launch of VEGA. The frontier editon will be first (latter half of June) the rest will follow very soon thereafter.

12. millibyte

millibyte Maha Guru

GPU:
    Smoothbore125mm gun
    For anyone tired of waiting for Vega, I'll be putting up my MSI Gaming X 1070 for sale in the buying/trading subforum for a really nice price, probably this weekend. I've been really pleased with the card and wouldn't be selling it for another couple of years if I hadn't stumbled upon a stupidly good deal for a 1080. It feels good to stick it to Huang, lol.

13. Corbus

Corbus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Moist 6900 XT
    glad i returned my Vive, nothing wrong with 90 hz but that ppi... Horrible, think it's under 350, 850 ppi seems like a big jump, which is awesome.

14. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    For me PPI is not an issue, I mind huge black gaps in between pixels. That's why AMOLED are quite acceptable for me in Samsung's Gear VR.

And I would even managed to live with those huge black gaps in between pixels if HTC Vive was Adaptive sync based.

My main issue is that in VR there are very few games. While on 3D screen, you can enhance your experience in like 90% of existing games.

Even platformers like Giana Sisters or Trine are awesome on 3D, while on VR it is quite pointless...

There should have been many strategy games with VR support already, that would not be hard to implement and enjoyable to play.

15. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    IMO it will launch 24-29 VI :)

16. Tuga

Tuga Guest

GPU:
    nvidia 670 gtx
    It's nice that VR is getting competition, so it wont be Oculus and Valve only.

17. Humanoid_1

Humanoid_1 Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080 X Trio
    Yup, waiting for the next generation of VR gear to. Too many failings atm...

For me perhaps I will enjoy it in racing games and am also looking forward to seeing how well Star Citizen ends up implementing it. Perhaps around the time the Persistent Universe goes live the next gen VR units will also start being produced :)

I am glad so many businesses are still pushing VR and did not give up on it easily as some thought they would. It will be Good at some point Soon™

18. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    Unless there is one VR SDK, VR will never even leave the gimmick stage.

19. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Microsoft is getting ready to make their mark in VR history, it is 2 months since they shipped their "VR" thing to some chosen people around globe.

And I guess they are working on DirectX SDK for VR.

20. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    E3 in a few weeks. We already know pretty much everything about Scorpio so there's got to be something to energize the "fanbase".