Sapphire Radeon HD 4870X2 should perform better?

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by Tee_k, Dec 3, 2012.

1. Strykaar

Strykaar Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire 4870x2 2GB
    It seems Grid 2 was doing better on the newer, but crappier, 13.1 drivers. I'm wondering if there's a certain ati driver file that I can drop into the Grid 2 folder and get acceptable performance again.

Max Payne 3 also nosedived. 7-8fps at the title screen, 1% gpu usage, graphics settings menu shows 0MB VRAM

Last edited: Sep 6, 2013
  2. dellon132

dellon132 Guest

GPU:
    HD 5570 1 GB DDR3
    Some drivers you may want to try would be ATI Catalyst 10.11, ATI Catalyst 10.12, ATI Catalyst 10.10e.......the file you should make use of would be the atidxx32.dll instead of doing a re-install of another driver place the atidxx32.dll in the folder of the game main.exe then attempt to play it.

3. Strykaar

Strykaar Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire 4870x2 2GB
    Ok, that was the file I was looking for. Gonna play around a little. I guess I'm starting to see the woes of legacy crossfire... either old drivers to play old games with alot of tweaking or just no hope of playing newer titles, or newer buggy drivers to play new games with crappy performance in older titles. Sheesh...

4. Strykaar

Strykaar Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire 4870x2 2GB
    Expanded atidxx32.dll and atidxx64.dll from the 13.1 drivers and dropped them into the Grid 2 folder. Got all my performance back, running 50-60 fps again.

Tried the same with Max Payne 3, no dice, still seeing 0mb and not utilizing gpus at all. Not sure what the issue is here but MP3 isn't really a deal-breaker for me as I've already played the game through. On to more testing!

5. Strykaar

Strykaar Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire 4870x2 2GB
    Forgot to mention that in MSI Kombustor, I went from ~110 FPS @ 1280x720 to 135 FPS. If you've got a 4870, 4890 or 4870x2 and you want pure performance in older games, TwL's drivers are the way to go. For newer games you might need to make your own modifications. TwL's modded legacy driver version 5.10, HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.

Strykaar out.