Games Business

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by TirolokoRD, Sep 1, 2014.

1. TirolokoRD

TirolokoRD Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 980TI ACX 2
    I was wondering how is this business set up?
    I know there are the developer, then the publisher?.

2. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    all your games belong to me!

3. TirolokoRD

TirolokoRD Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 980TI ACX 2
    Lol, why!, :p

4. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    lol dunno sounded funny :D

OT
    Well developers have also various programers, designers - visual artists, level designers, animators, music artists for effects/sounds., then there are testers and then publishers?

I see publishers as record label companies, that promote and make the game go boom, well depends if its a good marketing strategy.

I remember Homefront, this was everywhere but end result ****ty game, guess they had to promote it to the max so people buy it more, because they knew it was kinda bad so it would at least sell some..

5. TirolokoRD

TirolokoRD Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 980TI ACX 2
    So, If I do a game....I will need a publisher to market the game? Who gets to have the rights?, the publisher or the developer?

I was wondering, since I see games that has 3 companies behind them.... GTA5 for ex. Rockstar is the developer?, or TakeTwo?, and Activision the publisher?

6. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Well its your baby, publisher is only your babysitter, I think :)

7. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Depends entirely on the contract, they usually handle the marketing but if they put in some of their money too they often negotiate for ownership of the IP.

No you don't really *need* a publisher anymore. Having a publisher makes it easy to get on steam and XBL/PSN but you can always self-publish.

Rockstar is the dev, 2K (legally Take-Two) are the pubs. Not sure about acti being involved.

8. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    Due to things like Steam Early Access, Steam Green Light and other such platforms it's easier to get a game out there yourself then it's ever been before.

In most cases, with larger developers and games, the Publisher handles all manners of marketing. They arrange the advertisements and trailers, arrange interviews and previews.
    Setup a game's showing at conventions and special occasions. They will also handle release.

The publisher will also supply funding for the game's development. Money for staff salary, equipment and licensing fees.
    In a lot of cases the publisher does, as lucidus said, negotiate for ownership or partial ownership of an IP. And in times, even ownership of the developer themselves.
    But there are times when the publisher only acts as a publisher. Handling marketing and a game's release. In cases of the developer self funding a game's development, leaving only the media and release details up to the publisher.
    In these cases the publisher will get involved because they can make a good profit off the game's release. Even without owning the IP.

But, in a lot of cases... a publisher can be a huge negative.
    An example would be Serious Sam 2. Now, while I really like the game, Croteam were not happy with their experience.

2K expressed a strong interest to publish Serious Sam 2 after seeing how well The First and Second Encounters sold.
    They offered to fund development, media marketing and release. And so Croteam signed and really thought they would be able to deliver the Sam game they always intended to make.

But, 2K stepped in and took over. Micro-managing every detail of the game and forcing drastic changes to the game's gameplay and visual style.
    Smaller fights, more cartoonish enemies, smaller levels... less violence... and Xbox as lead platform.
    Croteam have said on several occasions that Sam 2 is not the game they intended to make... and are not happy with it. It's one they'd love to do an "HD" remake of, but since it was published by 2K it requires a bit more legalities.

9. Ouzo

Ouzo Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1080Ti Gaming X
    One of the most important aspect is the investors.

Most companies nowadays, especially mobile gaming, are built with seed money for relatively quick exit plan. Without capital some sort, you cannot start up a gaming company.

Structure of game team: you usually have producer/project manager(manager role), couple of programmers, designer, couple of graphic artists. QA is very much needed in production.

Depending on the size of the company, they might have multiple of those teams, and added layers of management.

Then outside of the company are publishers. But companies also nowadays work as their own publisher.

10. TirolokoRD

TirolokoRD Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 980TI ACX 2
    Mmmm got it.... It's like movie or music business