Wireless for NTL.

Discussion in 'Network questions and troubleshooting' started by SniperDaws, Dec 10, 2005.

1. SniperDaws

SniperDaws Banned

GPU:
    XFX7600GTXXX Zalman Vf900
    Hello i need a bit of info if you dont mind, ive bought a Nintendo DS for my daughter for christmas and it has a built in wireless adapter that you can connect up to HotSpots all over the UK, but you can also connect it up to my bradband but ive only got the NTL Home 200 modem, can i buy a modem for my Cable bradband that has a wireless output, what i mean is as long as the modems turned on she will be able to connect to my cable Braodband wether my pc is turned on or off.

ive looked everywhere for a wireless cable modem, but all i can find is ADSL wireless modems.........please help.

2. Advis

Advis Guest

GPU:
    XFX GeForce 6600GT 128mb
    I've just setup a wireless network for my cousin that was on NTL and used a similar modem. I used a Buffalo router that I purchased from ebuyer.com : linky. This will alow her to use the DS on it regardless of wether your PC is on or off.

Hope that helps.

3. daveid

daveid Ancient Guru

GPU:
    8600GTS + 7300GT DDR3 / 7600GS
    you don't need a new modem, just a wireless access point.

4. SniperDaws

SniperDaws Banned

GPU:
    Cheers, is the Buffalo a stand alone or does it need to be connected to my original NTL 200 modem? you see what i want is to replace the modem with a Wireless one so ive just got the one modem box, i know you can get a access points but i dont want to have 2 boxes, all i want is like this http://actiontec.com/support/broadband/gt701-wg.html but for Cable not adsl.

5. Advis

Advis Guest

GPU:
    XFX GeForce 6600GT 128mb
    Unfortunatley, there are no Cable modem routers on the market (at least of any that I know). This or nothing I'm afraid. If you concerned about cables this Bufflao didn't look too bad when it was all setup as you get a flat RJ45 to connect modem to router which was coiled up and looked pretty neat.

6. SniperDaws

SniperDaws Banned

GPU:
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2005
  7. Advis

Advis Guest

GPU:
    XFX GeForce 6600GT 128mb
    You don't see them sold in retail because they are programmed specific to the cable provider I think.

The Buffalo one was simple enough to get working, 5 minutes at the most. All I did was plug it all in together (Modem to router with supplied cable, router to PC with a standard RJ45) and then log into the router's config via Internet Explorer, set the WAN connection type to 'direct connection', unplug the modem for 10 seconds (important you do this! otherwise the modem won't release the MAC address!) and then connect it all back up. Sorted.

8. SniperDaws

SniperDaws Banned

GPU:
    nice one mate, ill get one of those ordered, cheers problem solved!