Palit GeForce GTX 680 4GB Jetstream review [Guru3D.com]

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Guru3D News, May 8, 2012.

1. TechFreaK

TechFreaK Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GTX570 Custom OC
    Well default build In FXAA aint much better either >> blur fest. I rather use traditional AA or SMAA injector.

2. Spets

Spets Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    I'm finding FXAA alright through Nv's Cpanel, Only noticing blur if I use a low resolution.
    As a 460 owner it helps a lot performance wise :p

3. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    For at least half the cases FXAA actually ended up being the better solution than SMAA (out of the things I've tried it on). But I know what you mean, SMAA for some edges is the ultimate solution, too bad there is only a 1x injector for it.

For example Street Fighter X Tekken, SMAA is pretty crappy in that. Between AMD's MLAA 2.0, FXAA (with its new tool) and SMAA it was clear that FXAA stood above the rest. In that case I also actually NEED blur as the shadow textures are atrocious, true console quality, just blobs of pixels. Blurring it by setting FXAA to maximum blur is the best I can do to make the shadows look tolerable.

I would use SSAA and inject FXAA over it for the best result I can get but like most things these days I can't force SSAA, the AMD drivers have not been updated to support it and there is no CAP out for it either.

4. dchalf10

dchalf10 Banned

GPU:
    GTX670 1293/6800
    There are plenty of games that have terrible in game AA where MSAA override does not work, or in games like Mass Effect 2 where there are a lot of transparent textures and MSAA does not get rid of the jaggies.

The Witcher 2 and Dead Space/Dead Space 2 for example, FXAA looks a lot better than the in game AA.

The fact that FXAA also eliminates aliasing on transparent textures makes it superior to MSAA in some games where transparency aliasing is high ( Bioshock 2 ).

Also many game engines cannot have both ambient occlusion forced and AA. FXAA means you can have AA and AO.

Open them in separate tabs, geralts armour is notiveably less blurred with FXAA as is the whole scene

In game AA ( MLAA? )
    http://img513.imageshack.us/img513/3497/ingameaamlaa.png
    FXAA through NVCP
    http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/5442/forcedfxaathroughnvcp.png

5. TechFreaK

TechFreaK Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GTX570 Custom OC
    ok..

And my point was FXAA ain't nothing better compared to MLAA, yes it is less blurred but still not good enough.

That's why i rather use 3rd party post AA injectors or MSAA where i can. But yeah each has its own preferences..

Greets,

Last edited: May 8, 2012
  6. IPlayNaked

IPlayNaked Banned

GPU:
    XFire 7950 1200/1850
    There should be an extra test for these "extra RAM" kind of cards. They should be reviewed in the manner in which they will most likely be used.

A texture modded Skyrim would be an ideal candidate.

7. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    It's a why a 4GB Model makes sense for me to upgrade from a 1.5GB GTX 580 :)

Already hitting 1512 MB with just the Official HD Pack at 1680 x 1050 with 4x MSAA, 2x SuperSampling and 16x AA.

A Heavy Modded Skyrim will use over 2GB VRam.

8. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Agreed - it should probably show minimum FPS numbers as well, as that's what lack of memory is going to effect the most. Minimum FPS graph over time would be awesome.

But how much of an effect does it actually make? I mean when I was playing it on my 480, I ran like a billion texture mods at 1920x1200. I never actually checked my memory usage because I didn't care, the game ran fine until I started screwing with the ultra lush grass mods.

I'm really curious to see how much the extra ram effects minimum framerate. I bet it's not as nearly as important as people are making it out to be.

9. Elder III

Elder III Guest

GPU:
    6900 XT Nitro+ 16GB
    It does affect framerate, stability, and "stuttering" - Skyrim may be the single exception, but if it's a game that you put hundreds of hours into *raises hand* the extra VRAM is worth it. If you don't play a modded Skyrim, then you might as well save your cash. ;)

10. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    Thank you :)

11. iancook221188

iancook221188 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 670 SLI / GTX 460 SLI
    could you show how much memory these game are using it would help to know if more than 2gb was needed in some of the title, it mite be that one of the games is using near 2gb

12. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    Unmodded non of the games will be using more than 2GB.

Currently only a heavy modded Skyrim is pushing VRam beyond 2GB.

I thought i had enough with 1.5GB for the future, but i clearly havn't. And to upgrade from 1.5GB to 2GB isn't worth it. It's why i want a 4GB Model and be 100% Future Proof, even it that means for just 1 or 2 games.

13. TechFreaK

TechFreaK Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GTX570 Custom OC
    idk if you know, but there is a handy tool that checks all files and corrects/compresses any lose files. Meaning less vram usage with overdone HQ textures.

Optimizer Textures by AdPipino
    http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/downloads/file.php?id=12801

14. VultureX

VultureX Banned

GPU:
    MSI GTX970 SLI
    This^

What does this review do? Disable MSAA in Metro2033 and test almost all games with 4xAA :\ No wonder the extra 2GB doesn't make a difference.

Hell, I'm playing most games on my setup at those settings. It's once the texture mods, 16xAA and other modifications come in when vRAM starts to matter.

15. Elder III

Elder III Guest

GPU:
    6900 XT Nitro+ 16GB
    I can post a screenshot of Skyrim and GPUZ showing it hitting ~1900 mb with occasional peaks up to 2000, but it would be easier if you just took my word for it. :) Crysis 1 & S.T.A.L.K.E.R. use over 1 GB but I don't think I have any other games that really make my system stretch it's legs so to speak. Maybe someone with BF3 could comment on how much VRAM it uses....

16. chrisfam

chrisfam New Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 460
    Still waiting for a review for a GTX 680 4gb SLI or Tri-SLI using the resolutions 5760 x 1200 and 7680 x 1600 on games BF3, Crysis 2 with high textures, and Skyrim with all the texture mods. Then I will be sold that 2gb is enough.

17. Frohman0905

Frohman0905 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX680 2GB OC @ 1202/7000
    Using the following settings: 1920x1080, ultra, 4xmsaa I get around 1500mb usage in a 64 player game.