What online game distributor do you like most?

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by LadiesMan32, Mar 4, 2013.

?

What online game distributor do you like most?

1. steam

76 vote(s)
    95.0%
  2. origin

3 vote(s)
    3.8%
  3. impulse

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Uplay

1 vote(s)
    1.3%
  1. LadiesMan32

LadiesMan32 Guest

GPU:
    R9 Fury Nitro Crossfire
    What the title says, and say why. I seem to like origin most. Yea steam has more sales but i think origin's interface is easier to navigate and is alot faster. I seem to have many more problems with steam. Unless im blind ive seen on origin that you can repair games instead of deleting and re downloading the entire thing again which ive had to do with steam many times. Ive even had steam mess up where i had to re install it which means deleting and re downloading two dozen games, which has never happened with origin. I seem to have quicker download speeds too with origin.

EDIT: Impulse is GameStop. forgot it changed sorry

Last edited: Mar 5, 2013
  2. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Steam.

3. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Considering Origin and Uplay are barebones and unfinished compared with Steam then it is an easy win for Valve. I've never heard of Impulse.

That said, Steam does annoy me at times as since they added support for Linux I've found that it has a tendency to 'forget' a number of my games are installed so I have to do the file rediscovery/install thing again so I can play them. I lost 150 games from my library over two weeks ago then another 15 or so last week and 50 over the weekend. The only thing I can think that is causing this is that I've had a few system freezes while trying to get my PC stable over the past few weeks and when I've rebooted my PC I've seen the Steam Updater window followed by a number of games becoming uninstalled in my library.

However, I've had system freezes before over the eight years I've been using Steam and they never caused games to become uninstalled. So if this is a bug caused by system freezes then it wants fixing quickly because crashes invariably happen from time to time even on supposedly stable systems.

4. rievhardt

rievhardt Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire 7870
    what on earth is impulse? on the list... STEAM definitely!

5. must_kill_ati

must_kill_ati Maha Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
  6. XBEAST

XBEAST Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 770 Gaming
    5) none of the above

7. KingDazza

KingDazza Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti Strix
    Steam generally. Though I wish it didn't have to be always on. Which isn't the case for some Origin titles. So where possible, I've added steam keys to origin, downloaded and installed via origin and then run with no client at all. I'd also like the option to choose which patch number to install a given game to. I've had a few games get patched for the worse and then had no way to revert/roll back.

Btw, I believe Impulse is stardocks offering?

8. AbjectBlitz

AbjectBlitz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    R390 1200/1720
    Steam has won me over the years, before that I was strictly keep games hidden and launch from directory old school style.

Everything else is an unwanted nuisance, I definitely don't want multiple programs to launch my games. I believe this is doing the PC gaming more bad than good. Steam at least did and does provide a standardised platform of some sort to compete with consoles, shame important big titles are hitting the likes of Origin :bang:

9. AllTech

AllTech Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 680
    Steam.

10. Major Melchett

Major Melchett Ancient Guru

GPU:
    R9 280X @ 1100/1500
    Origin hands down, for how I use them it's a lot faster at booting up (like 2 seconds) and to me has a much nicer interface. As time goes on I like Origin more and Steam less - with every Steam update it gets slower and with every Origin update it gets faster.

Also, deep down I'll always have a bit of hate for Steam as it popularised the "have to run our store client to play your games" system and there support is terrible.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2013

11. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    Steam and Origin both, granted Steam is the better one by far. I'm keeping Origin (that improved quite a lot actually) strictly for exclusive EA games like ME and BF series.

12. UnrealGaming

UnrealGaming Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    I don't care too much about any of them, but I've had OK experience with Origin and Steam. So, maybe those two.
    Tho I'd rather have an option for something like GoG or simply a physical disc, where you can have your installer without requiring to have some sort of DRM in order to install and play your game. Of course if its a purely online game, then it really doesn't matter.

13. teleguy

teleguy Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070/Vega 56
    You can do that with Steam as well.
    Rightclick on game>Local Files>Check files for errors

14. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti
    Steam, cause all my friends use it, and i use it as a messenger.

Sinds steam i've also stopped using Xfire.

15. BigBlockTowncar

BigBlockTowncar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Evga GTX970 SC
    I like Steam. The only games I have installed right now are BF3, Max Payne 3, and DayZ--None of which launch from Steam.

I am not sure what happened, but in my library, it doesn't list anything that I have. I am not aching to play HL2 again, but I don't know why some of the titles are missing.

16. scrapser

scrapser Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 Ti
    I didn't vote since there is no option for none of the above. I like buying the physical discs (as long as that lasts). But I will say I read an article a few weeks ago that stated Steam enjoys 70% of the gaming market. They have been around for quite some time now compared to some of the others.

17. BigBlockTowncar

BigBlockTowncar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Evga GTX970 SC
    I also like owning the physical disc. I like physical property even if out-dated. I also like getting a physical instruction manual (although sometimes they just say go online for the manual).

18. Nichtswisser

Nichtswisser Guest

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 670 DC2 4GB
    Why isn't GoG part of the list? It's the only one without DRM and therefore the best by far.

19. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    Was the 1 vote for Uplay a joke?

20. blesner

blesner Guest

GPU:
    MSI Nvidia GTX 690
    Who voted Uplay? :D:D:D