New System

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by evilkiller650, Apr 17, 2013.

1. Deathchild

Deathchild Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Yeah I might get a P280 or 300R as next case. Though my Antec 300 is still doing a good job, after that cable management and new fans installed, everything is working top notch with good airflow and really really low temps. I won't be changing for a while now.. no need. (Got Aegir installed now. :D Don't know if you guys want a picture or not)

Anyways, improvements:

case: Corsair 300R http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...8&isNodeId=1&Description=corsair+300r&x=0&y=0 if you want full tower then Corsair P280, can't go wrong there
    cooling: Xigmatek Dark Knight II http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835233029
    As for psu, something with Corsair, Enermax.. Seasonic, whatever.

Other than that, everything else looks good. Should be ok.

Last edited: May 3, 2013
  2. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    yeah, the cpu is what matters. look at my sh1tty board and my oc. not sure how the LX2 is different from the LX though, any thoughts?

3. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    Not a clue, the Asus naming system boggles the mind.

4. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    You might worry when the 4+1 phase vrm's shlt themselves, might be OK foe a mild OC though.

@eclap the motherboard is just as important as the CPU, I wouldn't be overclocking on your board........short lifetime.

And the difference between the LX & LX2 is vrm heatsinks.

5. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    With Intel Chips/Boards the issue just isn't there mate, trust me. Unless you're aiming for a high OC and really upping the voltage - which just isn't required for 4.4 or so. I know people with budget Z68's that have been running for years with no issues. I'm running 4.4 with my current setup and my motherboard cost £80, good temps and rock-solid stable for almost a year now. Not a single problem. I don't think you need to juice Intel up quite as much to get good results compared to AMD.

6. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    Ivys are pretty low-power chips. 77W TDP for the whole package at stock. That includes GPU as well. I've seen a friend stress test his 3770K with LinPack and it reached 60.5W power consumption.

Any moderate OCs at 4.2GHz - 4.4GHz that are stable at stock voltage (don't know what they OC to generally on stock) would draw ~73-76W, not much really, considering the board should easily run this maxed out at 77W. The iGPU is inactive in this case.

7. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    Yup. There just isn't enough power draw for it to become an issue tbh.

8. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    dunno man, I've been running 4.5ghz from day one at really low voltage and I've not had a single hiccup. It's been something like 2 years now.

9. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    TBH, it just isn't an issue with Intel. You're not drawing enough power for there to be an issue. You could overclock like mad on almost any entry level Z77 just as well as you could on mid-high range unless you're going for benchmark records. The dominant factor with Intel (Ivy, at least) is heat from the CPU. Unless you're aiming for 4.7 + just about anything will do.

Last edited: May 4, 2013
  10. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Why not wait another month and get a nice Haswell cpu?

It will OC better and be more up to date..

If you must go with IB then get a HT model, you will thank me in 1year :p

11. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Even a 3570k draws more than 77w when overclocked....

[​IMG]

TDP is the amount of power/heat a stock cooler is required to dissipate at stock CPU speeds under an average workload.....not the actual power draw.

It doesn't really mean anything when it comes to overclocking.....

12. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    But why not oc when I can run the thing at 4.5ghz at stockish 1.2v?

13. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    Not quite what I meant, with Ivy heat takes a massive jump when you up voltage enough. To the point it makes a huge difference. That's simply not a problem for most enthusiasts in the respect of hitting medium to large oc's. You need at best a true spirit 120 or eve 212 to hit 4.4, and the good chips can do that on stock. Once you start upping the voltage things can go wild, but 4.4ghz for any Ivy is faster than is needed for any single card set up. I'd wager it's enough for most multi gpu setups at that.

14. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    Agreed. The *only* limitation you run into unless you want to venture into the realm of delidding is the fact that the mating between the die and the IHS is not very good. You'll hit a heat transfer wall well before the power draw becomes a problem. The 22nm chips are very efficient, that's for sure.

And honestly, 4+1 needs to not be looked at as "bad" or "cheap" by default. Quality of phases matters more than quantity, and unless you're trying to buy an ECS or Jetway board, you're most likely getting something decent. I ran an overclocked Phenom 2 on a 4+1 phase board for years, and those chips are known to be power hungry. FX 8 cores are the only processor that I feel really benefits from a higher phase count because it's by far the most power hungry chip ever released. It pulls like 180W at *stock* fully loaded. That's ridiculous, really and in that case I understand suggesting a board with a better phase design. But for something that barely hits 100W on average with a modest to high level overclock, it's just not necessary. The volts that you put through Intel chips are lower even, which is another factor. I run at 1.05V fully loaded, at 4GHz. A decent chip can do 4.4-4.6 on no more than 1.2V.

Basically, the OP need not worry about not getting a super expensive board.

15. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    No reason really......

To me it's like being in a race - either push the accelerator to the floor or don't bother racing. lol

Of course not everyone thinks that way.....halfway down is perfectly acceptable.

I have managed to destroy 2 or 3 motherboards though.

16. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    It's about time you got into an Intel car, then. Hey, I feel you - AMD are fantastic. You know my opinion, and it's not a bad one.

17. evilkiller650

evilkiller650 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 980ti AMP! Extreme
    Everything is planned to be delivered today!!! Cant wait, been 5-6 years since my last build!!

18. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    I don't know if you guys remember OP but he's a long time member and maybe hated by some for being a little too outspoken for their liking. I always respected this guy for being super blunt though. evil let us know how the build goes. we want to know how it turned out

19. evilkiller650

evilkiller650 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 980ti AMP! Extreme
    lol. I can't remember what it was that made me leave this place but it was something to do with what I said.
    Build is going good. I found it impossible to fit the arctic cooling heatsink so threw the intel heatsink on which means no overclocking for me :( not to bothered i'm just glad i'm up and running, get some gaming done!

20. kiya

kiya Guest

GPU:
    GTX 660 Twin Frozr III