Windows 8 #2

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by hallryu, Jan 31, 2013.

1. kitch9

kitch9 Guest

GPU:
    XFX 7990 3GB
    Dude, you are in a thread which is discussing Windows 8, an OS which by your own admission you haven't used and it is not your daily OS. In said thread you are trying to tell guys who use the OS daily what is wrong with the OS the you haven't even used and you are wrong and you have no way of knowing it because YOU DO NOT USE THE OS!

Tard is not the word for your situation which you seem incapable of just leaving alone like some OCD mentalist....

2. kitch9

kitch9 Guest

GPU:
    XFX 7990 3GB
    Yeah, some of the codecs it has to support to be an actual Media Centre require royalties to be paid everytime it is installed on a new PC now, therefore just including it in EVERY copy of the OS will be hugely expensive, especially when only a fraction of users will actually use it....

3. dsbig

dsbig Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070
    yeah the stupid playready drm crap needed to watch tv..

I dont even like using media center as it takes longer to setup tv tuners then wintv software.

media center takes too long to scan channels.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2013
  4. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    You can watch most stuff directly on a website these days, so needing a TV tuner is a thing of the past.

5. Legendary_Agent

Legendary_Agent Guest

GPU:
    Asus HD7970 DirectCU II
    I see what you mean, i tested it myself and the entire window failed to refresh resulting in beying black, i had to take it over the screen edges and back, and it returned to normal, im not sure this is a OS issue, im more inclined into thinking this is something faulty with the software itself but in any case its annoying indeed.

6. Legendary_Agent

Legendary_Agent Guest

GPU:
    Asus HD7970 DirectCU II
    Yep, thats pretty much the number 1 excuse for any windows 8 fanboy, you dont like it? its cause u didnt use it!
    News flash, i dont have to like it to be able to use it, i have used it a couple of times and didnt like it, its not my problem you cant cope with that.

7. IPlayNaked

IPlayNaked Banned

GPU:
    XFire 7950 1200/1850
    No one cares, go away.

8. Keitosha

Keitosha Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX6800 / Vega56
    Optimizing SSD's in W8 means running a TRIM command. Optimizing with HDD's means defragging. :)
    But it does what it needs to do, most TRIM commands are done via the hardware itself.

9. Legendary_Agent

Legendary_Agent Guest

GPU:
    Asus HD7970 DirectCU II
    What do you mean the trim commands are done via the hardware itself? are you saying that the ssd chooses when to run the windows trim command or that the ssd has its internal software that deals with it internally?

10. Keitosha

Keitosha Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX6800 / Vega56
    Some controllers have TRIM built in. Some older Sandforce controllers for example have not. In case for the latter, you can optimize your drive manually in Windows or set a schedule.

I tried "optimizing" myself a few manually and i see no difference in available sizes or performance. I suppose it is working like it should.

You are correct that hardware TRIM devices are issuing a TRIM command by itself.

11. dsbig

dsbig Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070
    Windows 8 can be a dick when you want to enter recovery. The stupid shift f8 key don't always work. And then it wants to do it own repair or checks with no way to cancel so you get stuck staring at attempting repair screen and all you wanted to do was enter safe mode or something would of taking 5 second to do.

Why the hell did the have to chang that part so stupid

12. IPlayNaked

IPlayNaked Banned

GPU:
    XFire 7950 1200/1850
    That part is definitely a stupid one, no doubt. I feel they probably wanted to cut down as much of the boot time as possible, but I think they could have left a 1-2s window where F8 would work in there.

If you can't boot, currently the best way to get into safe mode is to simply fail to boot a few times, then it will give you the option. It's not ideal, but it's not impossible to do either.

13. Legendary_Agent

Legendary_Agent Guest

GPU:
    Asus HD7970 DirectCU II
    Thank you for the information, i wasnt aware of that system at all.

14. kitch9

kitch9 Guest

GPU:
    XFX 7990 3GB
    I'm not one to get on the tard-go-round when it's moving and there's no stopping you it appears.

15. kitch9

kitch9 Guest

GPU:
    XFX 7990 3GB
    Or, just make a recovery disc in the recovery menu in control panel... Takes like 2 minutes.

16. pimp_gimp

pimp_gimp Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super SLI
    I don't remember either, not that it's bad as I got a key when they're were giving them away. But I also understand the cost to cover the licensing fees, as it makes sense.

17. dsbig

dsbig Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070
    manual flash player update

just in case people are not aware that even though microsoft said they update flash, it isnt updated.

this thread from neowin tells you how to update it from 11.3 to 11.5 and I tested and it work.

I didnt have to do the permissions part. I have a shell extension that I use to mark the file as owned.( google it to find it)

http://www.neowin.net/forum/topic/1133138-howto-force-update-flash-player-for-ie10-on-windows-8/

edit: micrsoft put an update for it out today and it still show 11.3:bang:

Last edited: Feb 8, 2013
  18. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    There has been an Update to flash player today.. or yesterday?

Via Windows Update.

19. dsbig

dsbig Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070
    released today.

microsoft seems to be only patching 11.3 and not updating it to newer version tough as it is even confirmed on adobe site showing 11.3 and right clicking on flash videos shows it being 11.3

other browser, if you left flash player to auto update. its already updated.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2013
  20. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    It's the same way with Adobe Reader.... Can't update it from Adobe...