AMD Catalyst 14.7 RC1 (14.200.1004.0 July 9)

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by asder00, Jul 10, 2014.

Tags:
  1. DrunkenDonkey

DrunkenDonkey Master Guru

GPU:
    2xPC 290 PCS+
    I have not seen an increase either, or at least not noticeable to make me an impression. Usually driver with temps increase is a good one, meaning card gets used more = more fps and/or smoother play in the games. If you have played a specific game and now you see it runs hotter then congrats - they might have optimized the drivers for it :)

2. RzrTrek

RzrTrek Guest

GPU:
    -
    I'm afraid I might leave the AMD-bandwagon (donkey) for Nvidia in a few months, had enough of lousy drivers, zero optimizations, stutter, lack of drivers and Mantle support for older +32nm cards.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2014
  3. sapo_joe

sapo_joe Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF RTX4090 OC
    Downloading.... Let's test these! :)

Thanks for sharing!

4. sapo_joe

sapo_joe Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF RTX4090 OC
    I left nVidia a few months ago for the same reason dude... Couldn't enable HW acceleration on browsers or I had system crashes, etc...

What now? LOL

5. RzrTrek

RzrTrek Guest

GPU:
    -
    Intel Graphics? :D

6. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Ive said many times, if you don't want driver problems, get yerselves a console, as both AMD and Nvidia have them.

7. kcuestag

kcuestag Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX980Ti G1
    Pretty much this. I had the following cards in the last years:

5850, 5970, 2x 6970, 3x 580, 2x 680, 2x 7970, 2x 780, R9 290X, and now 2x R9 290.

And to be honest, neither companies are perfect, I get annoyed at both from time to time and just do the switch. :)

8. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    New drivers maek me feel seexy

*downloaDingggggg*

9. windrunnerxj

windrunnerxj Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4060
    That's quite an expensive thing to do :)

10. DesGaizu

DesGaizu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AORUS 3060TI
    No problems here with any of amd drivers tbh since I got this msi gaming 290 (less said about the 2 stock 290x's I owned the better :s)

But you are right both company's have issues. I had months of bad drivers for bf3 when I had my 680 disco textures and broken msaa for 3 months plus :/

11. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    5-10c HOTTER!??

WTF? Not noticed that at all with any 14.x drivers. All clean installed using DDU and not a single issue with any of them. I maybe noticed around a 1-3c increase in temps over the past couple weeks mainly due to the hot weather.

12. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    A much as people moan and complain each side has issues. I remember for 5 straight months of drivers on my old 4870x2 it had the 2D clock bug where in any 3D game the 2nd GPU would stay at 2D clocks and not work at all. Not even disabling ULPS helped. I had to use TwL's drivers which improved performance in crossfire MASSIVELY compared to AMD's drivers and crossfire actually worked!

13. lorikano

lorikano Master Guru

GPU:
    2x Sapphire 7950@1150
    Any wach dogs fps improvement and stuttering ? What about crossfire?
    Share your experience please.

14. sapo_joe

sapo_joe Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF RTX4090 OC
    Same here... I checked the file versions, it's all OK, but, CCC says 14.6.

15. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    Yep same here, I think this is just going to become a WHQL driver soon. Basically with all the 14.x improvements so far just with WHQL stamp and a few new crossfire profiles.

16. yelsewshane

yelsewshane Banned

GPU:
    Sapphire VaporX 290
    I have never had any issues with AMD or NVIDIA drivers. I honestly think most issues are user error. Regardless could also be I use superior versions of graphics card and never reference ones. Like for example I currently run a amd sapphire vapor-x 290 and heat is no issue.

17. Slikar

Slikar Guest

GPU:
    GTX970 WF3
    There is lack of mantle support for newer card as well, its there but it doesn't really help with anything. They only really support 290/x , BF4 still stutters and overloads vram with mantle on my system. And fps difference is almost zero.

18. Espionage724

Espionage724 Guest

I'm pretty convinced most issues are user-related too, but who knows. At the very least, if it isn't direct-user-related, then it could be plenty of other factors not even related to the driver (using custom renderer dlls, modified VBIOS, Afterburner having improperly-stuck OC, your GPU being bumped slightly and thus not being completely seated in the slot, etc).

I recall some guy with my exact GPU having BSoD when playing media I believe in Chrome, meanwhile, myself with the same driver, had no such issue. I know how to troubleshoot and maintain my system, but I can't speak for the other guy...

Last I checked, Mantle worked just fine with early drivers on my 7850 with both Thief and Star Swarm. I (still) can't speak for how BF4 would work since I never tried it, but if it was broken, I'd find it pretty silly to claim that Mantle "didn't work". Last I checked, EA/DICE were pretty known for terrible programming, but somehow that seems to be overlooked pretty quickly... In-short, I'd trust AMD's coding over EA/DICE's.

Huh, wasn't aware my GPU that I monitor temps on regularly was running 5-10C hotter with 14.6, but you must know my environment and GPU better than me :p

Ah, yeah I guess AMD just likes to type up a long list of lies about their optimizations in driver changelogs. Guess I must also be ignoring all this stuttering I'm supposedly getting too. Oh, and there's an obvious shortage of drivers too that I'm being affected by.

I can't think of anything else to say other than see ya.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 11, 2014
  19. RzrTrek

RzrTrek Guest

GPU:
    -
    I don't like forced updates, DRM, controllers designed specifically for kids with small hands, low resolution textures, FOV values below 90 and the lack of options for software/hardware upgrades and mods.

20. heroxoot

heroxoot Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC2
    I have noticed 5c hotter temps since the original 14.6. 14.4 idles a little lower but performance is way better in 14.6. Have to take it as it is. I pushed a ticket with AMD a long while back but they never returned to me. I assume the performance increase just causes the card to do more. As if it used to be locked.