Sandy bridge i5 2500 (not k)

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by keasy, May 4, 2013.

1. keasy

keasy Banned

GPU:
    d1cK
    Hi guys,
    I have sandy bridge i5 2500 but its not a k version meaning that it is locked.
    So I was wondering if there was any tech wizardry that can unlock it ?

If not i assume I am stuck running it at stock unless I oc everything ?

Thanks.

2. XBEAST

XBEAST Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 770 Gaming
    You can OC it, but not by much. 3.7 GHz on all cores +100 MHz for every inactive core. One guy said it can do 4 GHz on all cores, but AFAIK this is only available on ASRock motherboards, called No-K OC.

BCLK OC, which can give 3-7% clock boost isn't worth it, IMO.

3. ricardonuno1980

ricardonuno1980 Banned

GPU:
    GTX 780Ti Classified :D
    I recommend CPU K-serie because multiplier unlocked (K or extreme edition only) is much easier than FSB speed for OC and the multiplier doesn't affect HDD, devices... while high or medium FSB speed may affect its. :)

But stock speed and OC by multiplier get up to ~90 to 100 ºC temperature while OC by FSB speed should get more (much) cooler.

But... WARNING: if multiplier is more number than stock then do NOT increase FSB speed. OC uses both multiplier and FSB speed to may avoid warranty.

Last edited: May 4, 2013
  4. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    What a load of rubbish ricardo.
    However you overclock (via Bclk or multiplier), for the same speed the CPU will use almost exactly the same power so therefore will produce the same heat.
    Also, he already has a 2500 non K, so preaching to him wont help.
    Overclocking doesnt void the warranty unless negligence can be proved, like if using too high a voltage.

Op, as mentioned by XBeast, you can get a small overclock using Bclk.
    It can be dangerous though as you are also overclocking other buses which can cause other hardware to fail, like hard drives.
    Go to 103MHz max on Bclk to be safe.
    You have no other options to overclock it.

Last edited: May 4, 2013

5. keasy

keasy Banned

GPU:
    d1cK
    Ok guys.
    Thanks very much for the advice.
    I may as well just leave it at stock for all the gain I would get.
    I'm saving for a an ivy i7 in January so no point taking the risk on the i5 as I plan to hand it down to my son.

Thanks again for the advice.

6. kiya

kiya Guest

GPU:
    GTX 660 Twin Frozr III
    sorry .. i didn't see the third post.. mods delete this post plzz..

7. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    You're off by a little bit. Intel allows 4 bins above the turbo clock, which gives you a maximum turbo clock of 4.1ghz. With all 4 cores loaded, the turbo clock would be 3.8ghz.

There is actually no risk involved at all unless you're using the Intel provided CPU cooler. You're simply increasing the Turbo Frequency of the processor. The 400mhz increase that Intel allows on locked processors is very modest and doesn't require any voltage adjustment.

8. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    Some asrock boards allow a 4.1 turbo on all cores not really relevant to op as he has a different b4and

9. flow

flow Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus TUF RTX3080 oc
    I usually overclock my gear, but when I hand it to one of my sons, I set it at default.
    They don't realise when you overclock things for them, they simply take it for granted and let it run hot all day long lol.

well keasy, you can't unlock it no, but you can't really harm it either.
    If you up the bclk, then you up the pcie port also, and as mentioned, the rest of the lanes on your motherboard. Set it too high and you experience crashes due to videocard failing.
    103 for the bclk is what most motherboards will set if you use the oc button in bios. You can set it a bit higher though, but not as we could in the past through fsb.

Anyway, set it too high and you crash, most components are protected against such things and wont break down at once, unless you would set an unrealistic value ofcourse.
    I recently forgot to connect the cpu fan to the power connector and fired up prime95 for testing purposes of my replacement motherboard. I thought, geez what are the cpu cores getting hot, then I realised my mistake and quickly shut down the system. But temps were still below 90°C.
    A temperature I saw the first time I installed the stock intel cooler with a mild overclock.

Anyway, if you hand it down to your son then it's best not to overclock it for that purpose.
    He can find out by himself, and by that way he will be more aware of possible hazzards.

10. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Hard drive crashes through high Bclk can cause corruption of data on the hard drive.
    I've hosed many an OS over the years like this.

If you push Bclk, make a hard drive back up first, or use a spare windows install to test the overclocks stability for a few days.