SweetFX Shader Suite release and discussion thread

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by CeeJay.dk, Sep 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kaicooper

kaicooper Guest

GPU:
    GTX 780 SC ACX
  2. kaicooper

kaicooper Guest

GPU:
    GTX 780 SC ACX
    ok guys thanx for telling me about

Riddick and Prey..yea they r OpenLG
    i did use Sikmode ..its great for Prey

ok then my plan changed to these:

1 Bioshock
    2 X men Origins Wolvrine
    3 After Fall insanity

3. Marcel

Marcel Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 Gaming
    For Dead Space SMAA+ downsampling and for Deus EX in game FXAA+downsampling. You do not want to use downsampling? For games with problematic AA is downsampling + FXAA/SMAA best choice.

sexus

colors are finished maybe gamma must be tweaked. Simple add more gamma in tonemap settings if you want. I'm not a fan of dark games :)

4. Bobnar

Bobnar Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 XC2
    Here's some FC3 shots. Been working on different settings and tweaks lately that I haven't even played all that much =P

Beware - 15 pics are original size and rather large.

Let me know what ya think.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 27, 2012

5. kaicooper

kaicooper Guest

GPU:
    GTX 780 SC ACX
    seems that Downsampling fake resolution much better then Nvidia Inspector
    cus Nvidia Inspector dose take more heat for GPU Fan..i'll try that
    thanx bro..ur Deus Ex HR is finished? thats ur final?

6. ninjafada

ninjafada Guest

GPU:
    pny 670
    did you try the 2.0alpha with the fxaa injector to see if there is a dif ?

7. Marcel

Marcel Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 Gaming
    downsampling is not "fake" resolution. This is native resolution. If you take screenshot from downsampling image size will have a resolution of what your set and not your monitor resolution.

2560x1440@1920x1080

http://www.abload.de/img/dxhr2012-11-1320-41-51ujej.png

http://www.abload.de/img/dxhr2012-11-1320-48-3epk6m.png

8. zerowalker

zerowalker Guest

GPU:
    AMD R9 380
    Do you use SMAA + Downsampling?

Isn´t both the same thing, but downsampling is a more, forced way?

And how do you do with HUD and UI with Downsampling?

Cause it becomes blurry and messy for me when i use it.

9. Maken

Maken Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 980Ti 6GB
  10. Boulotaur2024

Boulotaur2024 Guest

GPU:
    AMD HD7950
    Blur Effect ?

Looks like you never bothered to adapt this code to sweetfw CeeJay.Dk... well I'm currently trying to, even though I have absolutely zero hlsl knowledge... So right now all I have created is a new ridiculously empty BlurShader.h :

Code:
       /*-----------------------------------------------------------.   
      /                          Blur                           /
      '-----------------------------------------------------------*/
    /*
      Version 1.0

Simple Blur Shader
    */

float4 BlurShaderPass( float4 colorInput, float2 tex )
    {
        float4 color = colorInput;
        color = color / 3;

return color;
    }
    I'd like to implement/adapt this code I quickly found on the web but it obviously crashes any game when I copy/paste that code untouched... probably the tex2D instruction is the culprit here (how could I debug that ? Visual Studio ?)

Could you or anyone else competent in that area help me out adapting that blur effect code ?

I can't believe I'm the only one that likes these old-school blurry CRT-TV kind of effects (specially useful in emulators - Dolphin, nulldc...) :eyes:

EDIT : besides I'm SICK of those overly sharpened pics all over this thread, blurriness is your friend, trust me :D

11. zerowalker

zerowalker Guest

GPU:
    AMD R9 380
    I don´t really understand the CRT effects, i mean. Was it really that "Liny" when you played on a CRT monitor/ TV?

Cause well, for me it just looks awesome on a CRT, though my eyes hurts thanks to how it works, but the response and picture is just brilliant.

Though an LCD/Plasma etc, got this, Sharp, Crispy Clear, look.

I can´t see how you can bring a CRT look into an LCD, i have tried SNES emulator scanline effect, but it just seem to me like it darkens every other line, which just looks, weird;S

12. jim2point0

jim2point0 Guest

GPU:
    Asus Strix 2080TI
    I think sharpening was originally used in the FXAA injector to try and offset the fact that FXAA blurs the whole scene. So you could get the AA and still have a clear picture.

With SweetFX, you don't have any blur at all from SMAA. In fact, using too much sharpening can completely undo SMAA.

13. Keepcool

Keepcool Guest

GPU:
    4870 512mb CFx
    The game doesn't star and I get this error in the log.log file

redirecting CreateDevice
    D3DXCreateEffectFromFile failed
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\Mass Effect 3\binaries\Win32\shader.fx(11,27): error X3004: undeclared identifier 'fxaa_Subpix'

SweetFX 2.0 has shader.fx and shader.hlsl
    SweetFX doesn't

I think the presets aren't compatible or we have to rewrite/change presets for SweetFX 2.0

also I think nvidia drivers are awful to deal with this kind of effect relative to AMD drivers

14. ninjafada

ninjafada Guest

GPU:
    pny 670
    you need to edit the setting file packed in the 2.0a archives
    try the default one to see if it works or not

other thing
    i just got batman AA and AC from steam \o/
    so played a little of AC got somes bugs when using 1920-1080 not using the full width of the screen , nvm i put the 2560*1440 and it's ok
    i also disable AA just in case.
    but sweetfx doesnt kick in , i have extracted the 2.0a in E:\steam\steamapps\common\Batman Arkham City GOTY\Binaries\Win32
    the log.log is ok like others working games
    if i use the scroll lock key the game switch to windowed mode oO hm ok
    pause doesn't do anything
    i looked in the keybinding , pause is opening a menu in game
    so i tryed to switch the keys in the injector.ini but can't find what key to use

dx11 not loading the dll, dx9 black screen frozen

if some batman AC players can help me here please :)

ps: i hate game for windows live !

15. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 on Laptop
    Any sweetFX for NFS Most Wanted pls?

16. Keepcool

Keepcool Guest

GPU:
    4870 512mb CFx
    You are right sweetFX 2.0 doesn't kick in... that's why the toggle "scroll lock"
    doesn't work either here (Origin-ME3) also I took some pic with/without it and it doesn't change is not like SweetFX.

Even if I edited the settings file with the settings provide by "sidspyker" in his mod except to FXAA thing...

For now I'll play ME3 in the HD4870CFx with sweetFX
    and in the GTX660m without it to avoid this FPS micro stuttering annoyance.

17. ninjafada

ninjafada Guest

GPU:
    pny 670
  18. rgot

rgot Guest

GPU:
    GTX 580
  19. Boulotaur2024

Boulotaur2024 Guest

GPU:
    AMD HD7950
    Actually CRT emulation has become quite convincing these days :

[​IMG]
    I don't know about you but I really like the effect over plain unfiltered sprites :)

But I'm getting off topic already as right now I just need a simple blur filter included in SweetFX. I've been toying all day with Shenmue on Demul emulator, getting great results with curves/dpx/bloom... I just wish I could apply a blur layer on top of everything, like I simulated in the following screen (7x7 kernel gaussian blur applied twice in Xnview) :

[​IMG]
    It helps hiding the very low res textures and provides a more coherent look to the whole scene (as the polygons are supersampled and textures are not)

EDIT : ok nevermind, I got it ! I modified the sharpen code (as blur is pretty much inverted sharpen) and got the effect right. Quality of the blur isn't too great compared to photoshop (or gimp) blur though, I don't know why for the moment

Last edited: Dec 28, 2012
  20. qliphoth

qliphoth Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580 1.5GB
    A quick suggestion for CeeJay.dk regarding further color grading options, as well as some suggestions for other effects in general.

I find myself wanting two additions or replacements for Vibrance quite often. A "Saturation Contrast" effect, which would work like Vibrance but DESATURATE already desaturated colors and saturate already saturated ones with positive values, and the opposite (bringing down color contrast in the scene) with negative values. Vibrance does not and cannot provide this effect without modification, and the same is true of all the effects -- no combination can do this.
    And a LiftGammaGain effect but controlling the vibrance and/or saturation curves of various light levels -- if I want bright lights to desaturate the scene and dim lighting to bring out the color, for example. You could even have vibrance OR saturation curves with a kind of toggle for each light level.

I think these two effects would be extremely useful as your vibrance has already proven to be in my various self-made presets for SweetFX. (I need these new effects, in fact, to complete my SweetFX for Pathologic preset!)

I also think there should be some way of customizing the order in which effects are applied where possible, because I often find myself disappointed with how, say, HDR clashes with vibrance in some games. And Curves doesn't seem to have any effect on brightened shadows from Cineon DPX.

As far as new effects I think would be cool, a peripheral blur would be neat. Something like Vignette but with blurring instead of blackness, perhaps even a toggle on vignette.

And lastly... I also find myself wanting a stronger bloom. Some older games without bloom at all (such as Pathologic) just can't get sufficient bloom flares with the current effect, no matter how I tweak the settings. (That, or the bloom is getting eaten by the other effects.) Instead, I find bloom tends to brighten the objects that emit light while having no effect at all on their immediate surroundings.

An excellent illustration of this is to go to an area in Dead Space 2 with candles and try every bloom setting from highest to lowest, any width -- it doesn't matter. The brighter parts of the scene (such as the white candles) will get brighter still, and the darker parts will not be affected unless you force the whole scene to ridiculous levels of bloom power -- I had to try 36, which made the game something like fullbright in the old quake games. More importantly, it appears to be impossible to get Isaac's RIG gauges to have any kind of actual blooming into their surroundings, only into themselves. This seems to be very weird behavior.

Just some suggestions, hope you can see fit to include some of them!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.