Aune T1?

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by IcE, Jul 30, 2014.

1. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    My Soundblaster Z seems to be on the fritz, so I want to replace it with an external DAC solution. Is there anything better than the T1 for the price? And what are some solid state equivalents? Also what's the best way to connect it to the PC?

2. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3070 TI 8GB
    What issues is your sound blaster Z is giving you? Does the optical output from the Z still works? If so you could use the Z optical and still get it software features and connect it to the Modni optical and a Magni or vali. Unless the whole card doesn't work correctly, Which then another good choice is the Audio-GD NFB11 or NFB15 depending on the sound signature that you are looking for. But they might be a tad too much for you. I haven't used the aune T1 but the one thing that it has is the option to go tube rolling if your see that as a benefit.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2014
  3. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    It was what was causing the freezes all this time. And it only has a 1 year crappy warranty so it's a paperweight.

4. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    ALO Audio have a sale on at the moment, I'd be all over a Pan AM right now if I lived in the US. Probably a bit out of your price range though, so the T1 is a great choice. Never met anyone that has been disappointed by it, you get the benefits of tube rolling and it sounds substantially better than the Z as far as I'm concerned. You've also the added benefit of it being driverless, you just plug it in via USB and the jobs done. You could also take a look at the Magni + Modi combo, although a lot of the people I've encountered that have heard both prefer the T1.

I'd recommend reading through the AMP/DAC sections here: http://www.head-fi.org/a/head-fi-buying-guide-introduction

Also check here for some more reasonable prices: http://www.headfonia.com/source-recommendations/

It'll give you a wider number of options in your price range.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2014

5. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    Hmm, very useful indeed, thanks

6. gridiron whirlw

gridiron whirlw Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070Ti
    Ahhh, heck.....just get the studio six :devil:

7. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    $3,900? No problem!

Hmm, the FiiO E10K just came out, and is apparently really good for the $75 it costs. Might go with that until I get some higher quality headphones. We shall see. The T1 doesn't seem to have any real competitors at that price though, except maybe the Audinst Hud MX1.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2014
  8. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    I'd sell my left nut for the Studio Six, it's an absolute work of art.

Honestly mate, jump on the T1 for now. By the time you go for a 'better set of headphones' you'll have something decent waiting for them. It'll run most of the kit you'd be looking at really well. That said, the E10K isn't a bad buy by any means.

...Besides, if we get a couple more T1 owners on the forum we could start an owners thread.

9. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    We both know you'd sell both nuts for one, lmao. Anyway, I agree with your logic. Might as well put down the dough now and be set for a while. T1 MK2 it is.

10. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    Be sure to post back when you have it, looking forward to your impressions. If you decide to upgrade the headphones at some point you know we're all here to help with advice.

Not a chance, wouldn't fancy having to take drugs in order to enjoy 'relations' so to say. Would consider my left nut and foreskin at a push.

11. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    Welp, I found a deal on an original T1 with two 6DJ8 Holland Amperex Orange Globes for $165 shipped. Should arrive next week. I'm quite excited, as a few of you know already :)

12. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Aune T1 is awesome. It still puts a massive smile on my face when I listen to Eagles' Hotel California. It's a great piece of kit. Like Darkest said, a lot of people prefer it to Magni + Modi. Make sure you post your impressions.

13. gridiron whirlw

GPU:
    RTX 3070Ti
    congrats....very nice, indeed.

14. elkosith

elkosith Maha Guru

GPU:
    PowerColor RX 6600
    I was going to buy Aune T1, but it was unavailable anywhere due to high exchange rate back then and importers were reluctant to import.

Nice choice indeed.

I bought a Topping D2 instead and I'm very happy with it.

15. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    EBay is the place to get one from, or head fi forum.

16. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    Yeah, I got mine on Head-Fi's forum.

17. gridiron whirlw

GPU:
    RTX 3070Ti
    Head-fi forum is a great place to buy 2nd hand audio gear

If you keep your eyes on the b/s/t/ forum....there are some great deals to be had at times.

18. elkosith

elkosith Maha Guru

GPU:
    PowerColor RX 6600
    Never use eBay. But I bought several headphones and stuffs from aliexpress.

I was looking the Aune T1 in local shops. At that time the exchange rate was high, so it would be much more expensive buying from overseas using USD

19. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    The Topping D2 is still a very nice bit of kit from all I've read, so it was all good in the end either way for you.

20. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    Well, it's here. And boy does it sound good. It's so SMOOTH. Rich without harshness in highs and mids that I didn't even know was there before. Really brings the best out of the Aurvana Live. And I fixed what was wrong with the Z, so I'll just leave it in for use with my speakers.