Starcraft 2 best cpu?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by jetbruceli, Aug 4, 2014.

1. jetbruceli

jetbruceli Active Member

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super
    Hey all, I am currently in the process of changing out my dated x6 1055t AMD and thinking of moving to the i7 4790k.
    I know this is a big step because I will need to change the mobo too.
    I have a Gigabyte 270x Factory OC and I have noticed my CPU tends to be the one bringing my framerates down.
    After researching and noticing that AMD CPU's dont do as great as Intel I decided to change.
    My biggest question is mainly for Starcraft. I play it not so much but watch alot of replays. The game is CPU dependent but only at most dualcore.
    On the AMD X6 1055t OC'd to 3.5 I am hitting super lows during big battles and its quite annoying. Like going from 80fps to 20 sometimes lower. And it stays there till most of the units disappear.
    Will the i7 4790k do the job? Does anyone know which systems ESL or Intel Extreme Masters use?
    I see streams too and they dont seem to hit the lows I get.
    Also do you think that getting a z97 board will be good for future use as in maybe getting an i5 now and then a 5th Gen i7 later?

Thanks and also I wish this site would post per cpu when reviewing a GPU.
    plus SC2 sometimes! haha!

2. scoter man1

scoter man1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070ti
    Get a 4690K. If it only relies on 2 cores, the 4790K will have no benefit over the 4690K speed wise. I know getting a Z97 board guarantees you the ability to upgrade to broadwell cpus. I'm not sure if the Z87's will.

3. jetbruceli

jetbruceli Active Member

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super
    Well I am definitely not going to pass up paying only 100 more for an i7, maybe if anything go for the i7 4770k but still those are only a few dollars difference at newegg.
    Only thing I know for sure is that AMD has to step up its game. I had the fx 60 chip back in the day and it was awesome. Since then they havent done anything that takes on Intel as a whole. Maybe if they did then we would have better prices.
    Oh well, cant wait to get the CPU.

4. scoter man1

scoter man1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070ti
    Nah, if you're gonna go i7, get the 4790K. Especially if you're going to overclock. If you aren't 4770K is fine.

5. moab600

moab600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY 4090 XLR8 24GB
    4690 should be more than enough. amd cpu perform very bad at sc2, but then again as someone who plays good amount of hots, when u play team games and everyone reach cap game will be slow, no matter what you have. the engine is poorly optimized ever since.

6. Sir Galahad

Sir Galahad Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 Ti ssc
    Frankly if all you're going to be doing is play SC2 then save yourself a small fortune and buy a Pentium g3258 and overclock the hell out of it!

If you're going to be playing other games as well get a i5 4690K.

There are cheaper ways of getting high frame rates in SC2.

If you already have a decent 775 motherboard getting an old E8500 or E8600 and getting it above 4.0GHz is probably the cheapest.

As good 775 motherboards are so expensive if you don't already have one, then a dual core Westmere like the i3 550 will be just the thing. Even on budget and midrange boards you can get 4.2Ghz out of them.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2014
  7. saberwolf

saberwolf Member Guru

GPU:
    Vapor-X R9 290x x2
    I agree!

Really!!! :):)

8. jetbruceli

jetbruceli Active Member

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super
    Thanks all! I ordered the i5 4690k. I play a lot of sc2 but I also play others like titanfall and bf4.
    My AmD CPU now just can't work with modern games and older single threaded. I did some research and they all suggest that the i7 4790 won't be that much benefit over the i5.
    But still thanks

9. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
  10. jetbruceli

jetbruceli Active Member

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super
    I still have the hyper 212 plus. Will it work on LGA 1150? Or do I need the evo version?

11. scoter man1

scoter man1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070ti
  12. jetbruceli

jetbruceli Active Member

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super
    Yes thats it, how is your i7 4790? what did you come from and was it a decent difference in performance

13. scoter man1

scoter man1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070ti
    I came from a Q6600 @3Ghz. I haven't had time to play with the clocks/memory timings on my rig yet but it's like a rocket compared to the old rig. I'm sure the SSD makes that even more apparent. Last thing on my to do list is an 870 or I might go red if they don't impress.

14. jetbruceli

jetbruceli Active Member

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super
    I have a 270x gigabyte OC version and its amazing coming from a gtx 470. Its the reason I am upgrading the cpu too. I find the cpu holding back the GPU which I never thought could be possible with a 6 core.
    I have been reading and reading. The Interl chips straight dominate AMD in everything. Buck for buck too.
    I was looking at the FX 9590 for 300 and its performing in 98% of test at the level of the i5 4670k.
    OH well, have fun and enjoy!

15. MOAB

MOAB Guest

GPU:
    Galax GTX 950 Sniper OC
    wow you just got an overkill system for that game

16. Sir Galahad

Sir Galahad Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 Ti ssc
    When it comes to loading programmes, I really haven't noticed any change in speed from my old rig, which was a Q9650 @ 4.0GHz with an SSD on sata 2.

I'm sure even if you paired a Pentium 4 with an SSD you'd still have pretty snappy desktop performance.

17. scoter man1

scoter man1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070ti
    Might be true, but it was struggling even having a 1080p youtube video up. I have no idea why, but it was actually topping out. Still, it's faster in many ways than my old rig. There's no denying it.

18. Sir Galahad

Sir Galahad Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 Ti ssc

Up until 2 years ago I was using a Pentium 4 661 in my 3rd PC, and that ran everyday things just as fast as my I5 does now.

Games are another matter entirely but web browsers and word documents just don't need that much CPU power. If your old PC was running youtube slowly then the fault was somewhere else in your hardware or software.

Anyway, if you're pleased with your new build that's all that matters.

19. scoter man1

scoter man1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070ti
    The rig turned out really nice, I was gonna post pictures but my previous hard drive died when I was changing out rigs so I never got around to doing before and after (lazy as hell this summer :D)

20. jetbruceli

jetbruceli Active Member

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super
    Hey all,
    Finally got it and man, this i7 is awesome. I might be overreacting getting an i7 over the previous x6 but damn, this thing just rockets when it needs to!
    In SC2 it wont go below 44 FPS. Like wow! Coming from going down to 15 FPS.
    Second, in Cinebench 15, the x6 1055t OC'd to 3.5 would get at most 610 and this i7 4790k at stock gets 790.
    So all this for SC2? Yeah maybe at the heart but atleast I know that I wont have anymore issues.
    The AMD would always have these wierd frame drops and so far the intel doesnt!