editing BIOS R290/290x to solve blackscreen

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by |ALE|, Aug 19, 2014.

1. |ALE|

|ALE| Guest

Blackscreen issue on R290/R290x is mostly a low voltage GPU when switching from 2d to 3d or changin pstate. To resolve this issue you can lower RAM frequencies or pur +25mv on your GPU.

It could be useful to edit video BIOS on r290 but actual tool like vbe doesn't work. I found that some skilled overclocker has edited BIOS to supporto more voltage for ln2 overclock or to mining... I tried to edit via hex editor but VGA refuse to start windows (BIOS digitally signed?).

Any idea?

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 19, 2014
  2. |ALE|

|ALE| Guest

..... lol

3. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900xtx Black
    My god I hate people like you.

4. |ALE|

|ALE| Guest

hate? take a chil pill... re-lol.

web is full of people with black screen, only bla bla no ones try to resolve the issue

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 19, 2014

5. mR Yellow

mR Yellow Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 Fury
    Unfortunately there is no tool to edit the new bioses and keep the digital signature.

6. |ALE|

|ALE| Guest

7. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    The reasons why this happens could be numerous reason is driver issues, inefficient power supply, etc. So Im not sure that editing the BIOS of the card will help.

8. |ALE|

|ALE| Guest

95% of user with black screen resolve raising voltage with +25mv... Check the web

9. pato9

pato9 Member

GPU:
    RTX 2060 S
    For me i installed CCC 14.7 RC3 and no more black screens at now!

10. Furious1

Furious1 New Member

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 290 Tri X OC
    There is obviously a way to edit the fan profile, clocks and voltages without losing the digital signature.

I don't have 10 posts, so links cant put embedded. :(

techpowerup. com/forums/threads/new-bios-update-available-for-asus-r9290-dc2oc-4gd5-not-double-post-for-reference-r9.198516/page-2#post-3132558

litecointalk.org/index. php?topic=12830.msg121827#msg121827

Now anyone have any luck finding out how they are doing it? Must just be in a hex editor??

11. |ALE|

|ALE| Guest

i have tried differents hex editors with no luck....

12. Furious1

Furious1 New Member

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 290 Tri X OC
    In the end to fix my issue, I went with the Gigabyte GV-R929OC-4GD F21 Hynix Mem bios and its been rock ROCK solid for my testing over the last few hours. Not giving the black screens that the Tri X OC default bios did.

Tri X OC Bios - 1000 / 1300
    GV-R929OC-4GD - 1040 / 1250

So the mem freq is slightly lower but I think the gigabyte bios has some voltage change too. Now I can run 2560x1440 @ 120hz without any issues.

gigabyte .com.au/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4884#bios

13. |ALE|

|ALE| Guest

i have an asus 290x dc2, can't use other bios because my card has a custom pcb... so the only way it's to edit the bios

14. yelsewshane

yelsewshane Banned

GPU:
    Sapphire VaporX 290
    I have already posted about fix for this blackscreen death. Simply lower the ram speed. With my amd 290 sapphire-vaporx I only needed to lower from 1400ram speed to 1375 and have not had any issues since. There is no need to raise voltage or mess with bios etc. Just use the ccc with the driver... enough said.

15. |ALE|

|ALE| Guest

yelsewshane is not a fix "lower ram speed" because i have random black screen in linux too. Sometimes artifacts loading pc out of windows and sometimes systems boot up but screen remains black.

raising voltage give me an assurance that my card will work with every S.O. and out the s.o. environment

my cards works perfectly at 1100/1500 with +50mv on the ram so isn't a bad card... only too much conservative voltage applied from default by amd/asus with elpida memory.

16. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    It maybe a fix on some cards but not on others this is where your fix comes in.

17. |ALE|

|ALE| Guest

not my fix...

http://www.overclock.net/t/1441349/290-290x-black-screen-poll

many other thread like this on the web.... many users fixed black screen with little overvolting...

the problem isn't if this fix works for everyone (+90% of users with black screen it works), the problem it's editing bios.