CPU For Programming

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by biggi_, Jul 21, 2013.

1. biggi_

biggi_ Guest

GPU:
    GTX770 4GB SLI
    I have recently started a new job where I will be using a Freescale Development IDE in order to do my programming for work. The computer they have there now is an old gaming laptop with an i5 in it. They have given me a budget of ~$1,000 for a build and they already have an IPS monitor for me. So all I need is tower. I was wondering, would AMD or Intel be better for this situation?

2. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    If ya wanna be forward thinking and go with the mad parallelism, go AMD, 8 cores for £150 ain't bad.

3. biggi_

biggi_ Guest

GPU:
    GTX770 4GB SLI
    But will the AMD be able to hold up with say a Haswell i7 that is hyperthreaded? I have always used Intel. The main thing that I dont' know is is the Freescale Code Warrior only single core performace or will it allow the use of more than one core? And will it use all 8 or is it limited to 4 where the Haswell is then hyperthreaded? Here is a link to the software I will be using: http://www.freescale.com/webapp/sps/site/prod_summary.jsp?code=CW-SUITE-BASIC

4. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    I would go with a haswell cpu. If that software supports ht get the 4770k if not 4670k. You prob need to oc a vishera pretty heavily to get good performance out of it. The intel will have excellent performance out of the box. I dont think you will be oc?

5. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Depends on the application.

At stock clocks Vishera can easily take on i5 and at times the i7 in rendering and modelling benchmarks....any multithread stuff really.
    I looked at some 3D modelling tests yesterday where the 8350 actually beat i7. Sadly this is not across the board and very app specific.

Gaming benchmarks and everything else yeah def need to be overclocked.....

Anyway I think the OP wants a CPU for compiling C+ or whatever..... I doubt he's looking to overclock so what can he get for $1000 USD?

Just checked out some compiling benchmarks, the 8350 wasn't bad but the IB i5 did do a bit better.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 21, 2013
  6. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    The 8350 was beat by a 3.3ghz 2nd gen 4 thread 2500k at 3.3ghz. If the software supports hyperthreading think how much better a 4th gen i7 4770k would be compared to the 2500k and 8350 in that bench

7. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Yep true, I can't argue with that......

8. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    Just get an Intel rig unless you choose to use Linux as your OS. Seems like Linux compilers are properly optimized for the FX processors.

deltatux

9. biggi_

biggi_ Guest

GPU:
    GTX770 4GB SLI
    The Code Warrior software package is Windows only from what I understand (haven't looked too far into the issue) but I'm thinking Intel would be the best as well. Anyone piece me a good rig together for around $1,000? Around $900 would even be better. Just need the whole tower setup, so no monitor/keyboard/etc