Chipmaker Marvell Fined $1.169 billion in patent case

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Dec 27, 2012.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. Ven0m

Ven0m Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    But what are these patents about?

3. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    This really pisses me off, for several reasons. First of all, colleges and universities are supposed to welcome innovation and encourage the production of tomorrow's products, not stifle it. MIT does almost the exact opposite as CM where they seem to almost give away their stuff, or welcome people to a license. The next problem is this seemed very deliberate of CM. They probably knew about Marvell making these products for years but intentionally waited so the lawsuit fines could be higher. My last problem is why does CM care? They're not mass producing hardware manufacturers, and companies like WD are not going to drop Marvell. Seriously, the school is just pulling an Apple here. I lost all respect for them.

4. Alexraptor

Alexraptor Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080, 8192MB
    Patents are crap.
    Nothing good comes from patents, they only serve to line the pockets of a select few and stall the technological development and advancement of mankind.

Not to mention that many of these patents are technological inevitabilities.

One can but wonder where we would be today if patents did not exist.
    Or cartels for that matter.

I guess the big question really is, where would we be today if Greed didn't exist?
    And then I don't meen wants and ambitions but pure unadulterated greed.

5. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Ughh .. the P word again. Sick of it!

6. hallryu

hallryu Don Altobello

GPU:
    2x HD7970
    You lot take the biscuit! So if you lot invented something that had the potential to make loads of money for you and your shareholders you wouldn't defend that patent if someone stole your IP?

Patents protect property rights and are necessary to stop unscrupulous companies profiting off the hard work and innovation of others. From that has sprung a secondary industry of patent purchase and sale for profit, or to prevent another company extending their market share.

I see it all as just good business.

Universities are not in the business of groundbreaking innovation to give away. They do it to make money as well as further their reputation and prestige.

The universities in the UK working on graphene will not be giving away the technology. They will be patenting every damn thing they can and good luck to them.

7. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    MANCHESTER! I studied there :D

We do need to find a better balance over this whole patent thing though, yes people should be able to get something in return for their ideas, but not to satiate the needs to shareholders.

8. hallryu

hallryu Don Altobello

GPU:
    2x HD7970
    I'm not so sure. Patent blocking is a sure fire way to make others innovate to survive and produce new and exciting solutions and devices.

Depends of whether your glass is half empty or half full I think.

9. rta

rta Active Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX970
    Suddenly new volleyball courts outside the dorms

10. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Greed is the driving force behind all innovations and it is the thread that binds the world if you think greed in its purest form is a bad thing then you have a seriously screwed up world view.

11. volkov956

volkov956 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 12GB
    There was a time if someone could take something and improve it and profit it wasn't frowned on. Current IP is to stifle Innovationg and just sit on it and wait for someone to actually do something (or something similar) with it so you can just make money off them since you had no interest in working on actually creating or doing things with ones IP

If you create something and someone else can do it better and make money too bad is my view you can't have empty rules to have the government work for you.

I laugh at western countries these days there are like dog feces on the bottom of my shoe. The good days of innovation are dead thanks to this kind of madness.
    I just hope one day this can be fixed before it is too late but at current rate it will only get worse I have seen enough companies killed off from this garbage

12. hallryu

hallryu Don Altobello

GPU:
    2x HD7970
    Greed is simply not the driving force behind all innovation. Marie Curie, Edison, Tesla, Brunel, Da Vinci, Michelangelo......did not invent or innovate purely out of greed.

Florence Nightingale, the lady with the hammer, invented the pie chart! Not to make money from innovation in mathematics but to show how many soldiers were dying from septicaemia and to save lives.

I could go on but we we are in danger of sliding off topic. I just needed to reply.

13. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    Tesla, iirc died dirt poor and the people who invented road lanes didn't even earn a penny from it.

Not all inventors got large sums of money, laziness and need is the mother of all inventions.

deltatux

14. hallryu

hallryu Don Altobello

GPU:
    2x HD7970
    Tesla died in a hotel room busy inventing and refining a machine he was inventing to keep a pigeon alive that he had fallen in love with. However, we all enjoy his AC current everyday :)

15. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Your falling into the trap of thinking greed only pertains to money. In greeds purest form it is want and that's it. But your right this is getting off topic.

16. Alexraptor

Alexraptor Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080, 8192MB
    The definition of greed would seem to disagree with you.

"Definition of GREED

: a selfish and excessive desire for more of something (as money) than is needed "

17. CronoGraal

CronoGraal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 6900XT Merc 319
    That doesn't limit the definition to money...it's using money as an example.

18. Alexraptor

Alexraptor Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080, 8192MB
    And you clearly completely missed the point.

Which would be the part about "selfish and excessive deside for more of something than is needed"

Which definitely has NOT been the primary driving force of invention and innovation.... at least not prior to the 20th century.

19. macdaddy

macdaddy Guest

GPU:
    TITAN X
    seriously can i patent my hairstyle ?

20. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    As I said earlier greed is want not need so in a round about way you agree with my premiss. Next think about anyone that has invented or innovated anything they stood to gain something from the act, wether it be fame, capital, ego, or status they all wanted more than was needed. And for the record I have nothing against any of the afor mentioned reasons.

Btw I'm done with this as its getting to that point of ideology and I don't want to step on anyone's toes sorry if my opinion offended anyone I'm out.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2012