3930K Advanced Overclocking

Discussion in 'Die-hard Overclocking & Case Modifications' started by BLEH!, Apr 2, 2014.

1. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    Hey Gurus

Been tryna get my 3930K to 4.4 GHz with HT on and I'm struggling.

With HT off, 4.2 requires 1.26 V, 4.3 needs 1.30 V and 4.4 needs 1.35 with a specific setting of PLL voltage (1.79 V, standard = 1.81).

I know my board isn't THE best for OCing my CPU, but that's not why I bought it, I'm just wandering if some other effect is starting to come into play here with regards to other voltages. For 4.2 and 4.3 I can get it stable with HT on at HT off Vcore + 0.015 V, but 4.4 is behaving rather weirdly.

I've tried 1.35 V, 1.36 V and 1.37 V with 4.4 and HT on at 1.79 V PLL and not stable, though it does last longer under OCCT with the higher voltages. Varying PLL up and/or down does not help stability.

Is there a chance that the two uncore voltages (IMC/the other one) need to be upped (they're both at 1.2 V atm, recommended max for air cooling) to get 4.4 HT on stable?

Cooling wise I'm hitting high 70s with 1.37 V and 4.4 GHz, so fine for regular use under those conditions.

Any thoughts?

2. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    You need more cpu voltage

3. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    Surely it shouldn't need 1.38+ V with HT on when it needs 1.35 with HT off?

4. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    Tried 4.4 with 1.4 V, temps are getting excessive. Doubt it needs anywhere near that much Vcore to be stable, problem has to lie elsewhere here.

5. Dragondale13

Dragondale13 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 AMP! • H75
    Are you using the latest beta bios? F5f?
    Turbo power limit at 250W?
    LLC at Turbo or higher?

May not be what you want to hear, but I think cowie's right.At 4.4/4.5 ghz as I mentioned in another thread.I have to set LLC to turbo or higher.At turbo, my voltage maxes out at 1.38v HT-on.So it could possibly put you at 1.4v.

6. weasel

weasel Guest

GPU:
    2080ti&1080Ti
    I need 1.34 for 4.3 with HT on 4.5 i need 1.4 could be you got a bad oc'er i leave mine @ 4.3 cause i don't see much benefits for a higher OC.With my X60 kraken i get max temps in prime in the mid 60 sixties with prime95 after 3 hours.My previous X79 board was a Asus X79 Pro and i needed more voltage for the same oc as with my Gigabyte board,also i only use LLC on Medium with my Gigabyte board.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2014
  7. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    I'm on F5a atm, this is the one where LLC actually started working. Turbo power limit is 250, current limit similar. LLC is on the one below max, that way it doesn't overvolt when loaded. Thing being I only need 1.35 for 4.4 HT off, so it shouldn't need 1.4 for stability.

This board is known as a fairly bad OCer but most reviewers manage to get 4.6 out of it with no issues. Like I said, I can't see it needing 1.38+ V for stability with HT on vs 1.35 with it off, gotta be something else at play here.

8. weasel

weasel Guest

GPU:
    2080ti&1080Ti
    1.4 with Ht for 4.4 could be possible if its stable why not aslong as its cooled enough then you are ok.But as i read your cooling is insufficient temps ramp up.Maybe invest in a nice custom loop or a good AIO setup.Have you tried the modded bios'es from the other forum wich i pm'ed you a while back?Soon i have my Asus board back think i'm going to build a second X79 system.

9. MaidenFred

MaidenFred Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080Ti Suprim X
    Hello,
    Mine is 24/7 stable @ 4.4GHz with 1.33V under load. (1.34V idle)

Here are my bios settings:
    CPU Vcore : Normal
    Dynamic Vcore: +0.030V
    CPU Vtt : 1.100V
    CPU PLL : 1.830V
    IMC : 0.960V (4*4Go 2133MHz)
    Temps with NH-D14: 80° max on cores with LinX

Check if Vdrop is not too high...

I had a problem with it: if I manually set CPU voltage, Vdrop was huge, I had to set it at 1.39V to keep 1.32V under load.
    The only way to have less Vdrop was to leave CPU voltage on Normal and adjust the offset.
    Of course I tweaked the CPU Loadline Calibration (set to Extreme with both voltage settings) but only the second way worked for me.

I disabled all power saving states except C1E, it's stable with less heat (and noise)

10. MaidenFred

MaidenFred Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080Ti Suprim X
    For higher clocks I suggest the H220, now i run 4.5GHz with 1.38V under load (1.39 idle) and 78° max on cores with LinX

I have 4 fans push-pull at low speeds... it's quiet and my wife is happy now! LOL

11. Dragondale13

Dragondale13 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 AMP! • H75
    I guess you can try the offsets.I have not touched that so can't give in depth advice on it.Only other thing I can suggest is trying the new bios.Hope you get it sorted soon! :thumbup:

12. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    I had a H100i with 4 NF-F12s for a while on my old X58 rig, was noisy and died randomly one day. I'd rather avoid AIOs again, at least Corsair again.

I might be able to drop VTT and IMC down a bit from 1.2 V to 1.1 ish or maybe even less (IIRC these two are meant to be the same). Vdrop is about 0.01 V with my current LLC settings. I'm leaving my power savings on for idle low-power goodness.

If I can find a good enough AIO, I might consider it.

CHeers. Offsets work for 4.3 at about -0.04 V, standard Vid for 4.3 is 1.371 V give or take for my CPU.

13. weasel

weasel Guest

GPU:
    2080ti&1080Ti
    Then buy that AIO from coolermaster they give 5 years warranty i think.I believe Hilbert published it some time ago on the front page.I believe you on the H100I i have a H100 in my second system and it has the rattle...:3eyes:

14. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    I may well consider that. The rattle/dying was the reason I went back to the Noctua, that and the silence. I've also considered the Silverstone 240 mm one.

15. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Kraken X60, top

2nd Corsair H110 & CoolerMaster Nepton 280L

16. weasel

weasel Guest

GPU:
    2080ti&1080Ti
    I have the NZXT X60 almost a year now very nice set had custom loops also back in the days but got lazy:),i can recommend the NZXT X60 control,software is ok to :nerd:

17. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    I'll have a look at that one. Never touching Corsairs H series again, too unreliable. I'll check the Nepton out, too.

Is it low system usage software? Corsairs one absolutely eats resources.

18. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Actually that Nepton280L can be better then Kraken x60, but its probably a little noisier, for example custom LianLi fans were more effective and quieter.

quick link reviews from here http://geizhals.eu/cooler-master-nepton-280l-rl-n28l-20pk-r1-a1058967.html

http://www.tweakpc.de/hardware/tests/wasserkuehlung/cooler_master_nepton_280l/s04.php

*bellow

http://awardfabrik.de/enermax-vs-cooler-master/10/

EDIT: H110 is solid too, it doesnt have any monitoring sw. I own H90 and really happy with it, wish it was a little more powerful though :nerd:

Idk about Kraken x60 I only looked how it preformed, im not a fan of any controlling sw like that either.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2014
  19. Odellot

Odellot Guest

GPU:
    TUF RTX 4090 FO48U
    I use Kraken X60 with my 4930K @ 4.5ghz - 1.4v. Temps never go above 80 degrees.

I only use Two fans in Pull configuration. I use h100i before and X60 cools better. I like the sw on X60 much better than H100i. Can't say what sw eats more resources though.

20. weasel

weasel Guest

GPU:
    2080ti&1080Ti
    Yes the name is kraken control software,although early version we're a bit temperamental,i don't have any problems with the latest version you can monitor everything with it cause it installs openhardware monitor.Very user friendly.I use 4 fans from annother brand on my X60 radiator because the default ones from NZXT can get loud.

75mb ram usage for kraken control and openhardware monitor togheter ;)