Core i7 "Haswell-E" Engineering Sample Surfaces

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Dec 13, 2013.

1. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
  2. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
  3. scoter man1

scoter man1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070ti
    So, will this be in the affordable consumer range or will this just be another untouchable (for me) in the $1000 range?

I could joking say I was waiting for a 6/8 core to upgrade, but that wouldn't be true :nerd:

4. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    I think it will be 3 models, 4core kinda like 4820K, 6core and 8core.

5. k3vst3r

k3vst3r Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KP3090
    Intel said no 4 core on HW-E

you want 4 core be broadwell only

6. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black

When did they say that? If there is none then i dont mind either..

Also Im not interested in another 4core anymore, ie that Broadwell well unless it will somehow be compatible with my mobo..

I will stick with this Haswell for 2-3years for sure.. Haswell-E is dead to me now, per core performance wont be any better then what I have atm, so only extra cores... But to be honest 8 threads looks more then enough even for encoding.. Maybe I'll get something after Haswell-E. :nerd:

7. k3vst3r

k3vst3r Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KP3090
    http://www.guru3d.com/news_story/intel_haswell_e_has_8_coresx99_chipsetddr4_memory.html

8. dragomirc

dragomirc Guest

GPU:
    eVGA GTX580 965/1930/4400
    Intel is still 1 execution per core same as AMD
    HT is only a scheduler.

It allows 2 threads to be scheduled at the same time, but the cores themselves are still just processing 1 thread at a time.
    When a thread is scheduled, it's done so with a set time limit for the core. If it finishes early, then the core will sit idle till the next thread is scheduled. With HT, the next thread is already available and can start immediately without needing to sit idle.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2013
  9. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    I think most people will want a 6 or 8 core, the reality is for gaming there is no difference at all regarding quad or 6 or 8 core. I cant even see that changing for the new consoles tbh as most people in the world have dual or quad cores and there not going to forget about those people.

10. peshkohacka

peshkohacka Member Guru

GPU:
    ***8962;

Last edited: Jun 22, 2014

11. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    Yep, I really hope that the fact that both consoles have 8 cores will lead to PC ports beeing optimized for at least 6 cores in the future. It's a shame to get beastly CPUs and just have most of the cores sit arround and not get utilized in games and not just benchmarks. That's why I didn't go for SB/IB-E but I really want to go HW-E or BW-E when they are out and the extra cors will be worth it.

12. JulesCools

JulesCools Guest

GPU:
    Titan Black SLI
    I disagree, Battlefield 3 and now 4 as well as many other AAA games have been taking advantage of 6 to 8 cores for several years. The 8350 is only relevant because of this fact, if game engines weren't taking advantage then it would be useless.
    It's also clear that the best way to squeeze performance out of the new consoles is for game engines to take advantage of 8 threads.
    Intel is just following AMD's lead, I will buy this processor when it comes out it's going to be fantastic!

13. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    What im saying is that if Nvidia expect the masses of PC gamers to go out and buy 6 or 8 cores then its not going to happen. I speak for the masses (common sense tbh) and not for myself.

Its not down to Intel its down to the Devs and i cant see that many devs making games fully utilize 6,8,10 or 12 cores for a good while yet because its a very small percentage of users that actually want them.

14. LadiesMan32

LadiesMan32 Guest

GPU:
    R9 Fury Nitro Crossfire
    Will this be having hyperthreading or...?

15. peshkohacka

peshkohacka Member Guru

GPU:
    ***8962;

Last edited: Jun 22, 2014

16. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Do you really think the devs are going to make games to take FULL advantage of a cpu that use 6, 8 or 12 cores. I doubt it very much. They could do alot if they wanted too but they wont because the people that own one will be the minority. I will be part of that Minority.

If i wanted too i could buy a 12 core Xeon right now! Infact i could buy 2 and i wouldn't lose any sleep over it but its pointless as what i have now is able to max everything out. at 2560*1440 at 120hz give or take abit. I Guess we will see wont we whether the devs will embrace this opportunity, i bet they dont.

What happenend to TXAA? I thought it was supposed to be the next big AA alternative? Ive only seen one game use it in over 12 months.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2013
  17. Robbo9999

Robbo9999 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    Yeah, I agree, we barely need the current memory bandwidth that high end DDR3 kits give us (beyond 1600Mhz), so will be interesting to see if DDR4 really makes much of a difference. My bet is that the main CPU will become less important with gaming going forward, with Maxwell incorporating an ARM CPU on their boards, I think the GPUs are going to become a more separate and independent entity from now on - less dependant on the specs of the rest of the system. (Which might mean the likes of these high-end CPUs becoming more redundant in future years - just a hunch). (Combined with the fact that console CPUs aren't particularly powerful (clock speed), but 8 threads nonetheless - 8 thread capable = good).

Last edited: Dec 14, 2013
  18. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    Think by the time i actual upgrade my PC the tech I get at that time we be able to run circles around my current system whilst have its legs tied behind its back hah.

I will be more impressed with all those new cores, when PC world finds a universal way to get ALL programs to use ALL cores correctly, As it is it is painfully obvious most Devs dont even wana to program proper multi core with what we have, what good are all those extra cores if most programs and games barely use them correctly.

We will see much better performance boost once DEV's get off there asses and program proper multi core support, Over get more cores that still do nothing half the time.

No that it uses ALL cores EVENLY at current Almost no program/games does cause most have terrible support of multi core cpu hell there alot out there that dont even support multi core still.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2013
  19. JulesCools

JulesCools Guest

GPU:
    Titan Black SLI
    It's easy to forget that even if a game only takes advantage of say... 2 threads- There is an OS running behind that game. It might be indexing, checking for updates, or you might enjoy using Skype while gaming, or playing music. Point being that 8 threads is a fantastic number. Years from now people will laugh at 8 threads, when there are 1,024 core home computers. Who knows, but for now 8 threads covers the game as well as whatever background stuff you have going on.. and it really promotes a smooth experience.

20. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nice .. I hope there are good ATX motherboards for this as I don't want a full tower.