ASUS Sabertooth 990FX (2.0) & FX 8350 (8 cores Black Edition)... OPINION ???

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by asimriz, Mar 18, 2013.

1. asimriz

asimriz Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX670 PE OC
    Hello Kind People,

I am putting together my first AMD system with the following components:

1) ASUS Sabertooth 990fx v2.0 mainboard
    2) AMD FX-8350 CPU (8 core Black Edition)

I do have some concerns though, please:

a) Are there any issues associated with the ASUS Sabertooth 990fx v2.0 mainboard ? (issues with IDE drives, software/BIOS issues, OC-ing issues etc)
    b) How well suited is the AMD FX-8350 CPU for the ASUS Sabertooth 990fx v2.0 mainboard ? (Any compatiblity issues etc ?)
    c) I want to purchase an 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz memory module for my system but do not know which one to purchase. Any help please ? (I understand the RAM timings must match the timings allowed by the mainboard. At least I hope that's the case :p)

For the GPU, I want to purchase either a GTX 660Ti or a GTX 670 (if I can find a good price).

Any thoughts please, do let me know people. Thank you !!!

2. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    a) no

b) no

c) These will work.

As for the video card, get whichever your budget allows.

3. asimriz

asimriz Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX670 PE OC
    Thank you so very much PhazeDelta1 ! I appreciate ur reply. However, for b) by NO do you mean that the ASUS Sabertooth 990fx v2.0 mainboard & AMD FX-8350 CPU are NOT compatible or that there are NO issues with using these 2 pieces of hardware together ? Sorry abt that :p Cheers !

Last edited: Mar 18, 2013
  4. YankeeDiver

YankeeDiver Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX790
    I have this exact setup. It rocks. I also have a GTX660Ti video card and have no problem with running any games. The video card is a personal choice so get either one. Dont overlook the 7950. Also a great video card.
    1. I have had no issues with drivers on the sabe mobo. Just make sure you use the recommended memory.
    2. The FX-8350 CPU works great with the saber Mobo.
    3. I called ASUS befor a purchased the mobo and told them what memory I wanted to buy to make sure it would work. Call them to make sure.

5. nikitash

nikitash Banned

GPU:
    MSI R6870 HAWK
    Buy GSKILL world record holder extreme OC freindly and yes made in taiwan not china.

6. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Check my specs.

Btw the Sabertooth is great but if you aren't going SLI/CF a 970/99X will be a lot cheaper.

7. asimriz

asimriz Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX670 PE OC
    Thank you EVERYONE for ur advice & support. However, I would like to say that the only reason I'm buying this particular mainboard is that it's the latest one & it's fking reliable. I DO NOT intend to use SLI or CF, just ONE GPU. So what kind of board would be similar to this one which is also compatible with the FX 8350 CPU ? I mean it would indeed be nice to spend less money for the same performance on a board where I can use only ONE card as I intend to do. ASUS would obviously be preferred but any other company is fine... I'll checkout the 970 & 99X... Cheers everyone !

Also one more question plz: I was considering buying G Skill memory. But since one of you has suggested it, could you plz advise me on which G Skill memory to buy ? Maybe I can get a 16GB module@1600MHz for the same price as a Corsair Vengeance 8GB module@1600MHz ?

8. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    M5A97-Evo or M5A99X are great.

9. Mr_ALLroy

Mr_ALLroy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3
    Check my specs. Loving my setup and no issues at all with it. You should be quite happy with it.

The only thing I would suggest is, STAY AWAY from the ASUS AI suite. I find it to be instable and more a hassle than it's worth. Any overclocking is best done in the BIOS. The biggest issue I had with it was the Thermal Radar. I would set my fans to 100% in the bios and the software and somehow they always got ramped down to around 30%. I fiddled around with many combinations of settings and never got it fixed.

10. DarkReign

DarkReign Guest

GPU:
    780 Classy 1287/6200
    +1 for the Sabertooth. I came from an Asus M5A97. Poor comparison, I know, but the functionality of this board is just amazing.

11. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    No there are no issues with paring those 2 up.

12. asimriz

asimriz Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX670 PE OC
    Thank you everyone !!!!!!! Again... Also, for those people who're using G Skill memory@1600MHz w the sabertooth+8350 setup, what's that RAM called ? And since I don't wana use the stock cooler for the FX-8350, what would u guys suggest I use ? I don't wana go overboard with the cooling solution. Anything other than water-cooling plz. Thank you again, people !!!!!!

13. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    The big Noctuas are quite good. NH-D14 I used to use. 4.4 GHz from a 980X-Xeon on air is pretty good. Currently using a H100i with aftermarket fans but this is a £150 setup. Noctuas go for about £50, and should give you good overhead for overclocking. It is big though, and if you don't fancy OCing, go for one of the smaller ones. They're also really, really quiet, which helps.

14. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    My top 3 air coolers in no particular order:

Noctua NH-D14
    Thermalright Silver Arrow SB-E
    Prolimatech Megahelms

15. YankeeDiver

YankeeDiver Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX790
    I purchased the G.Skill Ripjaws X series 16 gig (4x4) DDR3 1866 models. this is from newegg model number F3-14900CL9Q-16GBXL and did not have any compatibility issues at all.

16. Mr_ALLroy

Mr_ALLroy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3
    Just a quick note for asimriz. With 4 sticks, some coolers can be too wide and will not be able to use the first DIMM slot due to reduced clearance.

17. asimriz

asimriz Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX670 PE OC
    Thank you everyone ! Yet again.... I thought the G Skill ram might be less expensive than Corsair Vengeance but now I realize that 8GB sticks @1600MHz both cost the same here in the UK. Therefore, which would be better Corsair Vengeance or G.Skill Ripjaws X series ?

I'm thinking I might go ahead with this RAM:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Corsair-CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9-1600MHz-Vengeance-Memory/dp/B004CRSM4I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1363719114&sr=8-1

Is it compatible with the Sabertooth 990fx v2.0 ???

EDIT: I just realized PhazeDelta posted the same corsair memory in his first reply. So cheers ! I'm getting this RAM...

One last thing, I've heard there's no HUGE difference in 1600MHz & 1866MHz memory. Only difference is the price...

Last edited: Mar 19, 2013
  18. asimriz

asimriz Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX670 PE OC
    I had one more question abt the FX-8350 CPU. Does it suffer from any heating issues ? How abt power consumption ? Intel fanboys simply murder this processor by talking abt the intense power consumption of this CPU. I'm an engineer in the field of power generation so, professionally, I can say that the Intel fanboys are idiots. How could a company manufacture hardware which is so inefficient & why would the public then buy that item, right ? I'm sure there's a slight difference in FX-8350 power consumption as compared to Intel CPUs & it might heat up a bit more but a cooler & some common sense could fix that... But still I'd love ur thoughts on this guys... Cheers !

19. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    I know the AMD chip uses a fair amount more power than it's intel equivalent, but not a huge amount more due to intel scimping in a few areas. The 8350 has a TDP of 125W, vs 77W for the 3570K/3770K, but intel will run into a thermal wall at 4.4 ish GHz due to the use of cheap thermal paste between the die and heat spreader, vs. AMD's solder approach. The 8350 will suck down a bit more juice if you overclock it, all CPUs do, but I don't think any more proportionally than the intel ones will.

20. asimriz

asimriz Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX670 PE OC
    Thanks BLEH ! So now only 3 items remain:

1) casing (just a sturdy case, nothing fancy)
    2) PSU (a good reliable supply with enough wattage for my rig, nothing extreme)
    3) fast & reliable HD (I don't wana get an SSD right now cuz of no money)

Any help plz ?

Last edited: Mar 19, 2013