how does GPU memory clock speed work

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by ninelives, Dec 1, 2007.

1. ninelives

ninelives Guest

hi guys, my HD 3850 suppose to run at 1660 memory clock speed, but when i play advance war fighter 2 and rf online, it only runs at 830.

how to GPU memory clock speed work? is it game depandent?

2. Wendig0

Wendig0 Master Guru

GPU:
    PowerColor PCS+ AXR9 290X
    well the are 2d clocks and 3d clocks. Download riva tuner and run some background graphs or w/e and it will show you what clocks they're at.

3. ninelives

ninelives Guest

yes, i was doing that, i have a G15 keyboard and i'm using it to monitor my tempetature and GPU clock speed. i know that when running 2D application, the GPU and memory clock speed will run at 300/830.

but why when playing 3D game, it runs at 600/830 , i thought it suppose to run at 600/1630 ?

4. Wendig0

Wendig0 Master Guru

GPU:
    PowerColor PCS+ AXR9 290X
    Hmm, download driver cleaner pro from guru and follow the instructions. Then reinstall the latest drivers.

5. ElementalDragon

ElementalDragon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVidia RTX 4090 FE
    uuh... are you sure it's not just doing the traditional thing? halving the memory speed.... since it's DDR. 830x2=1660

6. Nymphetamine876

Nymphetamine876 Member Guru

GPU:
    2x Sapphire HD3870's
    the memory is called DDR for a reason. It stands for Double Data Rate. so the actual clock of the memory is 830, but since its doubles, its 1660.

7. ninelives

ninelives Guest

so it's normal that it wont show me running at 1660?

8. ninelives

ninelives Guest

have you tried that ? run CCC, click on ATI overdrive, run 3d program/game on windows mode, then look at you gpu/memory clock. the memory clock wont show it is running double rate.

9. keenan

keenan Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 980Ti Hydro Copper
    in Rivatuner, go to the overclocking tab, down the bottom click on more. On that new page tick the box at the bottom that says "show effective memory clock frequency" Click ok.

10. ninelives

ninelives Guest

thanks mang.