Is Steam good or bad for the gaming consumer?

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by DSparil, Oct 2, 2013.

?

Is Steam good or bad for the gaming consumer?

1. It's good for the consumer

86 vote(s)
    64.2%
  2. It's bad for the consumer

11 vote(s)
    8.2%
  3. It's both good and bad, I'm not sure which to choose

27 vote(s)
    20.1%
  4. I don't really think about it much / don't care

10 vote(s)
    7.5%
  1. ESlik

ESlik Guest

GPU:
    EVGA x2 1080 Ti SC Black
    I agree. It also updates DLC etc. for you.

2. chanw4

chanw4 Guest

GPU:
    NITRO+ RX6800XT SE
    If they sell you the game after the THQ goes bankrupt or server shutdown, then it is their fault, otherwise, they should not be held responsible. Having steamwork means the game utilize steam services only, it does not mean Valve have control over the server or the services of a bankrupted company.

3. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    I'm not saying Valve are to blame, but when things like this happened they are the only ones left to blame as they also profited from the sale of the game.

Steamworks should guarantee a certain standard and customer service if your forced to use it.

I disagree with taking the cash and credit when things go well, but washing your hands of it when things go wrong.

4. DSparil

DSparil Guest

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3080
    You're someone who isn't seeing the big picture. Servers being down has nothing to do with it and is not the point. No servers are required to play bot matches or go LAN, but because of THQ's fallout, the game is not launchable from Steam, period. If this was a game I installed from a DVD-ROM, I could still play it to some extent. Digital distribution has ushered in an era of us no longer having control over our own purchases. I guarantee you if Steam locked your account for whatever reason and you suddenly no longer had access to "your" games, you would feel very differently.

Yes, exactly! Well said.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2013

5. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    Steam is great, runs good, great accesability, good sales, not to mention it's the best DRM out there. I still prefer to get retail version of games if they are cheaper or are collector's edition BUT I do look for them to be steamworks, or at least redeemable on Origin. I like having all my games in one place (well 2, for EA Origin exclusives...).

6. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3090 FE
    Can't even get the store working on origin in English or my own damn language for that matter. According to EA, everyone in Belgium speaks french...

7. Megabiv

Megabiv Guest

GPU:
    GTX980Ti SLI (h²o)
    I like Steam but my wallet doesn't...

I agree with some of the issues discussed here but its not only the THQ incident, this is what happens when games require "activation" servers or any form of hosted multiplayer.

A while back Codemasters downed all the remaining Grid servers for multiplayer so that side of the game is totally useless, so a game I payed for I can only get access to the single player so its a bit like having a pirated copy to be honest :/. More games will do this as time goes on.

If you think back to game companies that existed in the 90's that are now no longer here and the limbo of game ownership over years what happens to the always online DRM, activation servers or periodic "check-ins" caused by the pirating paranoia? Will you end up with short cuts that you can never again play or will they be patched to work offline?

Something that put this into perspective for me and also a reason I refuse to pay more than £20 for anything digital, was on my Xbox 360. I owned the Arcade version of Streets of Rage 2 and since I replaced my "orginal" 360 I had to download it again and was required to use my Live profile as authentication to download and use it on my new console. Well that was all well and good untill Capcom decided that they would pull that game from the store and repackage it into a Streets of rage bundle leaving me with a game I've payed and have achievements listed against my account as a trial version. The game is no longer for sale and I cannot download it or play it again.

That sucked but it only cost less than a fiver so not a great loss, but that could easily be a game I payed £30 for.

The way I see digital games is as something that I can afford to lose. I'll ALWAYS buy a boxed version over digital if I can, at least I have something for my money at the end.

8. SLI-756

SLI-756 Guest

GPU:
    760 SLI 4gb 1215/ 6800
    Steam is great for the gamer.

[​IMG]

9. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Is it impossible to hack steam versions of games to establish ownership?

10. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Establish ownership in what way?

You simply mean something like using a No-CD crack?

11. Megabiv

Megabiv Guest

GPU:
    GTX980Ti SLI (h²o)

I just bought FF7 and Baldurs Gate :p Plus I can't wait for the new Xcom expack.

12. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    I like steam but there customer support regarding broken unfinished games sucks bigtime. They dont refund you even when the customer is right regarding games that do not play as advertised hence MK9 and its broken lobby BS.

13. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    There needs to be a clear and consumer friendly policy for this to prevent garbage like Rome 2 from releasing. The only defense we have is to not pre-purchase in the first place as prices tank quickly anyway.

14. k1net1cs

k1net1cs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD 5650m (550/800)
    Most of the pirated games these days are Steam copies with its Steam DRM circumvented, or a repacked non-DRM GOG version.

In any case, 'establishing ownership' on Steam games by cracking its DRM would do nothing but a false impression of total control.
    Because your money will still be in Valve's hands regardless; they won't care if you're able to 'establish ownership' over it, and they can just simply ban your account over such actions if you somehow decide to tell people about it.

Might as well just pirate the game from the start.

Not that I condone piracy, but trying to get idealistic when you're already throwing money Valve's way is a bit...off-putting, to say the least.

15. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    While ownership of digital goods is a point worthy of detailed discussion (in courts), I do not think it is likely that they will attempt to impose restrictions or anything that negatively affects the status quo. Things like iTunes and Steam have been around for so long (with the former having removed drm) that people have certain expectations and bad models will fail hard. Look at Ubi, their DRM got neutered to what is Uplay today and Securom on the PC is as good as dead and is around only for older titles. GFWL is on its way out too.

Say what you will of Valve, they're innovative in DD. Trading cards in particular was genius, deep discounts, family sharing, and the F2P model they helped popularize with TF2.

16. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    I don't get the trading cards.

17. k1net1cs

k1net1cs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD 5650m (550/800)
    To be honest, GamersGate's blue coin thing is a bit more innovative (and involving) than Valve's way (trading cards) to induce community activities, because the result of your contributions in their community has real rewards.
    Those coins can be used to buy games, so if you're active in making guides or helping people out you can get games for free for as long as you stay active apart from the initial 'investment' of your first few games there.

Personally, I don't see what's so genius about the trading cards in Steam. =b
    It's an old concept that's been around for years being tucked into Steam, mainly to get people to buy games more than anything.
    The badges thing as well.

Care to elaborate?

18. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    If game is hacked you can copy it and play without Steam.
    More complicated scenario is possible where Steam service + server are impersonated by another app, so unchanged games can launch.

It is challenge. It may be not a full control, but...

But that all is from development/hacking point of view. From gamer point of view I don`t care about limitations in Steam.

19. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    I use to hate it, but now i think its good.

They only REAL downside is you cant sell your games anymore.

20. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3090 FE