RX 480?? any good?

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by korennya, Feb 15, 2017.

1. MrCompillitrate

MrCompillitrate Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 1080ti/960m
    Just be wary of that FX6300. My 8320@4.5 held back my Gtx970 and made my 1070 feel like i never upgraded. A new CPU will probably net you a hefty performance increase as it is. +1 on a mobo/CPU upgrade first, you'll be happier that route.

2. freeman94

freeman94 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 ARMOR
  3. chris89

chris89 Master Guru

GPU:
    RADEON R5 M430 2GB
    Yeah RX 480 is a good get-er-done card, seems to perform near 290x/390x which is by the way near titan and 980 ti... within 20fps... I mean 20fps on the biggest big end with all the bars maxed All-The-Way out.. not Low at 720p or 640x480... If you want 4,000 frames per second at 1080p.. that's unrealistic. If you want to crank all the bars all-the-way out to the max at 1080p/ 1440p/ 2160p even the RX 480 8GB can do it at $179.99 refurb from Visiontek. If you want GTX 1080 performance for $360... that's 2x 8GB RX 480.

4. passenger

passenger Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX580 8GB

5. chris89

chris89 Master Guru

GPU:
    RADEON R5 M430 2GB
    I actually think it's a great idea to pickup the rx 480 8gb reference. They won't be going any cheaper than 179 dollars... I mean seriously 179 dollars for 8GB RX 480. I received my 8GB 390X reference for 225 dollars when I could have just bought the RX 480 and saved a lot of power and money...

Plus if your CPU bound on a Quad-Core, even the RX 460 at 1080p maxed out ran no slower than the 290X/390X, maybe even faster possibly...

Watching videos with all that osd stuff onscreen causes like about 100-500ms mouse/ feel delay and a good 5-10fps. Turn all of it off and just enjoy the game. I feel like it's a sickness to paying more attention to fps than how it feels. Like your brain tells you the OSD says 30fps and then you think it's lagging when it's running fine. Check this out... 4k Ultra RX 480.. 35-40+ fps... that's 390X performance and many other cards like Pascal titan x might hit 100fps at 4k ultra but only when not cpu-bound ie way more than a quad-core.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YnCiF-EEYJU

Last edited: Mar 7, 2017
  6. passenger

passenger Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX580 8GB
    It can go either way. But again it's better to wait for a few weaks, when you can still buy that 8gb 480 ref, and compare it to RX 580.

7. waltc3

waltc3 Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 50th Ann 5700XT
    Finally the RX 480 came down to its original MSRP and so I picked one up through Amazon Prime-one-day shipping (amazing, really, I ordered the card at ~10:00 pm on Friday night and a mere 12 hours later it came from out of state(!) to my door!--and on a Saturday, too!) Most Prime stuff is two-day, non-Saturday/Sunday delivery, but a lot of stuff through Prime is now 1-day...and clearly marked! (Including Saturday deliveries at no extra cost--sometimes, too you can upgrade from two-day to one-day for ~$6, depending on the package, of course.) Anyway didn't mean to hawk Amazon Prime, here, but it's well worth it.

The card is lovely, in a plain light-gray or silver top shroud, completely non-gaudy/non-childish appearance, and simple to a fault to operate. You need do nothing to it at all in the way of settings as it comes pretty much maxed out for performance ROOB. I got the Asus RX480 Dual 8GB for $215 or thereabouts, gave my MSI R9 380 4GB (I bought that on sale new for ~$250 some time ago) to the wife. So far, in additional to having 2x the ram of the R9 380, clocked significantly higher than the R9 standard ram clock, too (500Mhz as opposed to the R9's 4.25GHz ram clock), the card simply runs everything I have at a faster frame-rate (My native res is 1920x1200, running VSR modes of up to 3840x2400), and seems a bit better in terms of gamma and color ramps, too, though the differences are subtle. There's a new monitor in my future at some point!

Caveats: However, this card seems a bear to overclock, for some reason. It's nowhere near as straightforward as I've been used to, even with the R9 380. I suspect it may simply be my GPU (luck of the draw)--either that, or I just don't know what I'm doing yet with the RX-480 in terms of mV increases and power targets. It seems sensitive in a way that the R9 was not. For instance, in testing, I'll set a target of, say, 1.34 GHz from stock Asus clock of 1.305 GHz, which seems as though it should be a modest, easily obtainable overclock, eh? Bear in mind I set this up through the Crimson 17.3.1 driver's Global Wattman--without using any third party program like AB, GPUTweakII, Trixx, etc.

It gets sort of weird, here: using GPU-Z for testing, I'll set the clock for 1.34GHz and run the test for single GPUs inside GPU-Z, which I have done a thousand times with the R9 380 4G without difficulty. But what happens with my new card is that 1.34 GHz won't work, the test freezes for a couple of seconds, and then the default clock of 1.305GHz resumes--which the card can handle all day long. The initial setting of 1.34GHz vanishes completely from all of the card settings, as though I had never set it. I ramped up the allowable power target to the full 50%, too, but it made no difference. Bear in mind, as well, that I have yet to learn this architecture in terms of third-party software control for settings, so it may be that everything I've said is easily overcome with the *proper* tweaking...;)

I confess I should have bought the MSI variant of the RX-480, maybe, but I couldn't get that delivered in a day and on Saturday without paying extra, so I went with the Asus. I have no idea if the MSI might be better or worse than the dual, though. I do know that I don't care at all for the latest GPUTweakII--ugh! Interface nowhere near as nice as Afterburner 4.3, for instance. AB's fan control is hard to beat--GPUTweakII certainly is inferior in that regard. I can run ti with AB 4.3 without a problem, but still the card seems to have a mind of its own relative to overclocking.

Bottom line from is that if you don't give a plugged nickle for overclocking then this Asus Dual RX-480 is indeed a very sweet product ROOB! It's also X-fireable (unlike the nV 1060, I've heard.) I'm still learning it, so keep that in mind...;)

EDIT: OK, not sure what I've done differently this time, but using AB 4.3 I am now at 1.355 GHz and climbing, rock solid...with 60mV+ and a 25%+ power draw (out of 50%.) This isn't the limit, I've just stopped testing for now. Not really sure *what* was going on earlier...;)

Last edited: Mar 8, 2017
  8. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    It sounds that the card is hitting a power/thermal limit. Increase the power limit to +50% and it will probably be fine.

9. chris89

chris89 Master Guru

GPU:
    RADEON R5 M430 2GB
    Yeah I notice the same thing on Polaris. But when it comes down to it, its a good card as it is. It performs really good just the way it comes. It's the bios that is tricky, unlike Tonga or Hawaii. It won't run at the specified voltage/ fan speed/ etc.

Yeah, I can say the power limit is what limits Polaris. If the VRM doesn't overheat and you crank the Limit, the FPS doubles. That's up until the VRM overheats. So if the VRM was 50C we could effectively double the fps of the rx 480.

So really if there was a better accurate bios utility other than Polaris BIOS editor, that actually worked. Overclocking Polaris would be more enjoyable.

From Visiontek the Reburbished Rx 480 8GB is 179.99 and next day air is literally like $10 so it's well worth it. It comes the following afternoon if ordered in the afternoon. So for $190 roughly shipped next-day, it's a great card to upgrade from any current AMD GPU. Even 390X.

10. waltc3

waltc3 Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 50th Ann 5700XT
    Yes, thanks...;) Seems to be cooperating nicely under AB 4.3 now. Not really sure what was going on earlier...! Operator Error, no doubt...;) All is well, 1.355 and climbing with modest mV and power draw increases...! Sweet little card!

11. waltc3

waltc3 Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 50th Ann 5700XT
    Yes, I suspect that the bios is a bit sensitive for some reason...;) But it is a sweet card!

12. chris89

chris89 Master Guru

GPU:
    RADEON R5 M430 2GB
    Yeah I am testing the Visiontek 480 8gb, it's barely any slower than 390x at max speed.

I set bios to delimited power and its a lot faster and very comparable to delimited 390x.

Up to 1433-1466Mhz stock voltage... No need to touch voltage on RX 480... It auto scales voltage and clock according to temperature. As long as you line up the BIOS. It's set to hit 105C by stock. Setting 80-84C, gives way cooler running card and plenty fast enough.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Supertribble

Supertribble Master Guru

GPU:
    Noctua 3070/3080 FE
    Bought a RX 480 after I had to return a 470 due to a HDMI problem. I went for the cheapest possible card on Amazon.uk and got the Powercolor Red Devil. The card is absolutely huge and seems pretty high-end build wise. It has a backplate and the shroud is metal. Things get a bit pear shaped when I started running benchmark though. For its size the card has pretty poor cooling with it hitting 80C at 66% fan. Anything above 66% and the card gets really noisy but the card stays locked at 1330 on the core. It doesn't fluctuate and start throttling whatsoever.

Oh, I went for a smoke outside and when I came back the screen was flickering then just went to static, l unplugged the HDMI cable and plugged it back in and it seems ok now.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2017
  14. chris89

chris89 Master Guru

GPU:
    RADEON R5 M430 2GB
    Nice. they will hold 1330Mhz while non-monitorable temps are hovering well past 105C... if you saw that once you will again and by then possibly bad card...

Send me the bios .rom here and ill make it so it doesnt run so hot so it can run stable for a long time. thanks

15. Atazoth

Atazoth Guest

GPU:
    Trident Z RGB 32GB
    I'd wait for Vega

16. Lowki

Lowki Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 7800 Xt
    I think the sapphire nitro oc cards are great. I have one running in my sons rig at 1400mhz no throttling. Constant 65c no noticeable noise. This is while running benchmarks as well. Really good looking card as well. I dig the cooling reminds me of my 980 classified about the same size. Nice looking back plate as well. It's nice to see Good 1080p gaming cards coming out in the 200ish price.

17. oli3

oli3 Member Guru

GPU:
    2080 Ti
    It is now that it can be flashed to an rx580

18. DanEVO7

DanEVO7 Member Guru

GPU:
    Duke 2080 Ti
    Gigabyte RX 480 G1 Gaming 8Gb

My scores compared at default and OC
    http://www.3dmark.com/compare/fs/12404241/fs/12345664#

Also no problems with the games i play. Fallout4, Assetto Corsa, Project Cars, Mad Max and some more.

Temps at default are around 60° and some times with too high fps goes to 64°.
    OC temps are 70°~75°.
    Power consumption at default is around 100w and some times peaks at 140w.
    OC 150w~180w.

Happy with this card. Bug free and OC needed only for Benchmark purposes :thumbup:

19. chris89

chris89 Master Guru

GPU:
    RADEON R5 M430 2GB
  20. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Chris you are actually getting performance regression with a higher overclock. But why?