[Build Log] Xaser-Cosmos2

Discussion in 'Die-hard Overclocking & Case Modifications' started by Cartman372, Nov 20, 2012.

1. Cartman372

Cartman372 Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1660Ti
    This is my second personal build, my old build has run its course and it's now being retired to better duties.

For reference, Xaser is what I call my current desktop, Cosmos is going to be the name of the new desktop.

My current desktop (specs on the side) has served me well over the past 4 years, but I'm in need of a server. So instead of building a new machine just to host 10TB+ of data and a couple game matches, I've decided to rebuild my current desktop for that duty and build myself a brand new powerhouse.

So the idea is, use Xaser until Cosmos is built, convert Xaser into server, setup the Drobo and finish it with new a new switch and wireless router.

Cosmos specs:
    Case: Cooler Master Cosmos II
    PSU: Corsair AX1200
    Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth X79
    CPU: Intel i7-3820
    RAM: Mushkin Blackline 32GB DDR3-1600
    Video Card: (2) Sapphire HD7870 GHz Edition
    Hard Drives: Intel 330 series 120GB SSD // WD VelociRaptor 600GB // WD Caviar Black 2TB
    Misc: ASUS Bluray burner // Windows 7 Pro x64

Once that build is done, Xaser is getting the following
    Case: LianLi PC-9F
    RAM: Kingston HyperX 8GB DDR2-800
    Hard Drive: (5) Seagate Constellation ES.2 3TB
    Misc: ASUS Bluray burner // Windows 7 Pro x64 // Drobo

There's still a few things I'm considering. I'm thinking I might go the water cooling route for Cosmos (always wanted to try it) but I need the case for measurements before I decide what I'm doing for that.

Then there's the monitors, of which I'm currently running dual 19", one centered and one on the left. Not really set on monitors yet, but I've been looking at two or three 24" Dell U2412M. We'll see what happens

There's other misc stuff in this build too, network stuff, drobo setup, new speakers, new peripherals, etc

Could only budget out $300 at the moment so I decided to order the Intel SSD and Mushkin RAM.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2012
  2. Cartman372

Cartman372 Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1660Ti
    RAM & SSD arrived

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Cartman372

Cartman372 Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1660Ti
    Decided to throw the SSD in my Dads laptop, maybe I'll convince him to get an SSD for himself.

Just about to install Win7, I'll report back with how it runs.

4. Cartman372

Cartman372 Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1660Ti
    Whelp, got the SSD installed in my dads laptop. It's freakin fast to say the least.

Specs:
    Ignore the high temps
    [​IMG]

SSD benchmark
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]