Samsung Galaxy S4 Thread

Discussion in 'Tablets and Smart Phones' started by jack_rudolph, Mar 14, 2013.

1. miffywiffy

miffywiffy Master Guru

GPU:
    750ti
    Yup that's what I thought I heard but then they seemed to blend their specs together only making the distinction of regional change. Like if the Exynos still doesn't support 4G then I wont buy it, like why would I buy a 3G only phone now?

Such a big disappointment if that is the case, all these phones though have been, the HTC one, no micro sd STILL, ****ty camera, I don't like LCD etc etc. Now we have this weird sku system from Samsung at a time where 4G is pretty much a given for most countries within the next year, why lock yourself into a two year contract with a 3G phone?

None of them really do anything amazing, the one pretty much is a one x and the GS4 is pretty much a GS3, no interesting changes.

Tbh the phone I'd buy is a Nokia 930 with a beefed up GPU, OLED screen, 41 mp cam and a Micro SD slot.

Give me that phone Nokia! I wouldn't even mind using Windows Phone, I'm not much of an app person.

2. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 on Laptop
    if this was apple, this topic would be full of hate posts about same design etc.

The Haters who keeps hating apples iphone design manifesto, check Samsung sht. they keep copy paste same sht all over the place. since s3 all samsung touch phones has same design and here S4 too.. Bravo.

Sign my name, if there will be iphone mini, most of the haters gonna post that: apple same design, gay apple sht apple.

Yeah. Sht Samsung. Boring gay samsung too.

i now, want to see Xperia Z and HTC ONE with their at least non pastic body designs. god damn even NEXUS 4 bets the design of Samsung.

And you know, you can buy and download apps that does what S3 does. i forgot the names of those stuff. u know., keep awake , dont rotate etc. i use on nexus 4 and they work.

edit: is the body plastic or what? im confused.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2013
  3. AndreasGuido

AndreasGuido Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    Im not too impressed. Sammy was taking a piss out of apple for the same design etc but they hardly changes theirs :(

Guess i am gonna send my phone to mazuma and get Nexus 4 for the time being.

Has naybody got Xperia Z? I like the look of it.

4. Lane

Lane Guest

GPU:
    2x HD7970 - EK Waterblock
    There's no point of dont put 4G on their phone, but the frequences used on USA are not the same, and Qualcomm have it included on the SOC.

The case, well i will like they put something more classy, metal on back, or with a soft grip. ( but i can understand weight allow to put bigger battery, bigger APN and still say really light. cost less ofc for them, but too they will never been able to keep the production rate and supply with metal case ( look all the problem have got other brand with that to maintain a good quality and supply ).

Specially if they made assemble it by Foxconn, i doubt they enough line of production for do it.

Now: the screen is just completely stunning. the 13MP camera look just excellent ( for have seen photo comparaison with the I5 and Xperia Z ).

5. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Galaxy 3S :)

Seriously, there is nothing here for the most part that can't be backported to the Galaxy S3 or that apps can't do for any modern android phone. The field is wide open for Motorola and Google with their "X-phone" and Apple to finally make a new modern interface and continue to take the lead. Absolutely no one I talked to was anymore excited for the S4 than they were for the S3.

That being said, props to Samsung for the replaceable battery and Micro-SD.

6. Lane

Lane Guest

GPU:
    2x HD7970 - EK Waterblock

I dont see anyone "continue" to take the lead.. Samsung is too much leading the marketshare on smartphones.

The problem with the back made "on plastic".. if they was use Magnesium, metal, they will need cut by themselves the production and so sold less smartphones.. Im not even sure Foxconn could supply them ( they dont arrive allready to supply Apple on production rate for the case of the I5 lol ).. And find another place will be surely too costly.

its not a question of quality, Its a question of line of production.. Foxconn cant extend thoses lines so much. And even if they was able to do it, or you supply less phones and you can make them with good quality, or you need keep an high production rates, and keep the same quality start to be really hard .. Adding Samsung production for this metal tainted by electrolyse, and they will never meet their production rates.

The problem of the I5 was not only the aluminium, but for a weight question they have make it extremely thin, and Foxconn have all the pain in the world to keep a good production rate, it's complicate the process of fabrication ( specially for the color ) and ofc they have not enough time for do it, they need meet the production rates want Apple .

Now i will like too they have make an effort on the design, but well i will pass on it only for the screen. ( i dont say i will buy one yet anyway lol ).

7. John

John Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970
    I don't know about this place, but if you look around other places on the Internet, Samsung seems to be receiving quite a bit of flak for the apparent laziness in regards to the S4 design.

I wonder if the screen will be any better than the earlier AMOLED iterations, which were quite frankly poor in terms of colour accuracy from what I could see. But of course, I suppose people are happy as long as it has the same level of over saturation as their store-calibrated Samsung TV sets. :D I'm not too fuzzed about the whole resolution/PPI crap, I really don't think 1080p is gonna make a noticeable difference at such a tiny size.

8. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    I think the phone looks great. exactly what I hoped it would be like. larger, thinner, less round than the s3. why change it too much if it works? they won't ever please everyone, anyway.

9. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 on Laptop
    what about battery life..i wonder if it will be good. i hope it is...

if i didnt hear wrong, it has close size measures of S3? thats not bad. i thought it will be bigger. but the screen is big.

so a S3 size but screen big? not bad.

10. John

John Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970
    It's actually physically smaller:

- S4 / S3
    - 5" 1080p Super AMOLED / 4,8" 720p Super AMOLED
    - 13mpix camera / 8mpix camera
    - 130g / 137g
    - 7.9mm / 8,6 mm
    - 69,8mm / 70,6mm
    - 2600mAh battery / 2100mAh battery
    - Gorilla glass 3 / Gorilla glass 2

I'm glad they didn't decide to make it larger (and fit an even bigger screen!) though. 5" has got to be the limit of how large a "normal" phone can be before it's just too big. Do I need to start buying baggy jeans just to have somewhere to put my phone? Haha.

/Actually, I'm not sure if I could fit even this thing in my jeans. Hmm!

Edit: side by side comparison:

[​IMG]

11. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 on Laptop
    smaler? nice. now i have my eyes on this one :). thanx for the information.

12. N0sferatU

N0sferatU Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 Ultra
    the iPhone is a "mini" lol :)

13. dshramek

dshramek Guest

Well, I don't wear baggy jeans, I wear Levi 501 or corduroy jeans, which are not baggy or loose & I have no problem with my Note 2. The whole "pocketable" thing is so tired & over-blown. Seriously. Unless you are wearing jeggings or tights, the phone will fit in your pocket.

14. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Here is the first official benchmark of the Exynos 5 version:

http://youtu.be/zPaIA16VqQI

Numbers are decent, but it looks like the Snapdragon 600 will blow past this easily. I wonder how the Adreno 320 stacks up to the 544MP3.

15. John

John Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970
    How good for you and your loose pants. A Note 2 might fit in my somewhat slim jeans, but I don't feel like walking around feeling like I have a constant boner all the time. Personal thing, of course.

16. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    I agree with you 100%.

My Nexus 4 + case looks like I'm walking around with a brick of gold bulging out of my jeans pocket all the time.

17. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 on Laptop
    Lol. Constant boner. :nerd:

This is where iphone5 amazes. Fits good. Well, bb z10 is not bad either.

18. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    OK, I decided to run the same tests on the Nexus 4 (stock firmware, latest update) as this guy ran on the Galaxy S4. Here are the results:

Quadrant:
    Nexus 4: 4927
    Galaxy S4: 11782

CPU:10416
    CPU:39190

Memory: 7419
    Memory: 9662

IO: 4156
    IO: 7338

2D: 340
    2D: 500

3D: 2303
    3D: 2220 (What the heck!?)

===========

Antatu:

Nexus 4: 16635
    Galaxy S4: 20105

CPU: 5384
    CPU: 6497

GPU: 8127
    GPU: 8574

RAM: 2327
    RAM: 4131

IO: 797
    IO: 903

========

Vellamo:
    Nexus 4 HTML5: 1372
    Galaxy S4 HTML5: 2076

Nexus 4 Metal: 618
    Galaxy S4 Metal: 824

19. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Here is a definite Snapdragon 600 Galaxy S4. Here's how it compares to the Galaxy S3 and Nexus 4 in Antutu:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here is my own run vs. the Samsung Galaxy S4 (not sure what version anymore):

[​IMG]

20. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    I have to say that 1080p display seems like waste for phones, true it's pentile in this case but the 1280x768 4.5" screen already feels like overkill on my Lumia. About S4 design, I don't really like it. Looks rather cheap and probably feels like it too. My S1 already felt really cheap and fragile (and it is fragile, there's a crack on the back plate even though I've never dropped it - I could use Lumia 920 to destroy it). It's too tall, Lumia 920 size is absolute maximum for me. I'd actually rather have phone that would be close 1cm thick than thinner than that, handling reasons.