Quick temp question.

Discussion in 'Die-hard Overclocking & Case Modifications' started by serious1, Jun 25, 2006.

1. serious1

serious1 Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3070
    well i got my 144 on a thermaltake big typhoon and the temps suck compared to my venice(30/40). i was wondering if 39c idle and 55c load is ok. i undervolted it 1.375v to get the temps down but if these temps aren't safe i'm thinking of popping off the IHS. what should i do? ohh and leaving it at stock clocks the temps are the same.

now for the chipset. it idles at 41c and loads at 45c is that ok?

the reason for this sudden temp question is i just got a mobo with a working temp sensor and i never really cared about it before.

Ambient temp is 25c-27c

Last edited: Jun 25, 2006
  2. fastvfr

fastvfr Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GeForce 6800GT, OCed
    What sort of thermal paste did you use?

Are you ABSOLUTELY CERTAIN that nothing, not even an eyelash or a mote of dust, could have gotten on the grease before you applied the waterblock?

I have had that happen a few times...boot up, notice very high temps somewhere. Pull the HS/WB off, reseat the CPU,, redo the TIM, reinstall HS/WB, and BAM--normal temps.

It appears that a very tiny speck can make for a (functionally) very large gap between the chip and its heat solution. This allows either an airspace or an overly-thick coat of TIM to act as an insulator! :frown:

I'd try that first, myself.

3. momomo67890

momomo67890 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    285gtx/4750
    theres no way they could be that high reseat the block and make sure its clean try the cream one if you got and not as5 cream works much better at low temps :) but idk Cream all the way

4. serious1

serious1 Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3070
    well i just reseated it and i have the same temps:frown: . i think i need some better airflow in my case.
    is 55c safe though?

5. serious1

serious1 Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3070
    Is 55c safe?

6. serious1

serious1 Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3070
    I'll ask one more time:Is 40c idle and 55c load safe. it does this even at stock clocks and voltages.

7. x-speed69

x-speed69 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080 Ti Lightning
    i think 55c on load is still safe as i get 56c max on load with my cpu if i use my sonic tower without any fans and if u ask me then as long as it stays under 60c i wouldn't worry too much, it's not like u keep it under max load all the time :)

8. Kain

Kain Ancient Guru

55ºc for AMD should be considered the limit.

So, Why dont you try to overclock it? Just some minutes... Its not going to fry (It supports up to 60-70ºC before shuting down.

So, if you this we could check if temps increase. IOf they increase, then, youre having very bad temps, If it doesnt increase, then, it could be a thermal sensor fault.

9. Clements

Clements Master Guru

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 670
    Safe pretty much, normal no.

My X2 @ 2.4GHz idles at 33*C and 45*C under load on the stock heatpipe HSF and it is in the middle of Summer here, so 40*C idle and 55*C under load for a single core Opteron with the Big Typhoon seems excessive.

10. bernek

bernek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 7900XT
    55 is safe common ... 65 is the limit ... even 60 degrees won't hurt

but in your case you should get lower temps !!!

11. serious1

serious1 Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3070
    i know that is what is wierd. i think the IHS is making a bad contact so popping that off is my next project as soon as i find a shim for it as i don't want to crush the core with my giant heatsink. thank you for the replies guys. @Kain i can't oc it because the board doesn't like 2 stcicks of ram. the board won't go past 280MHZ but if i run 1 stick of ram i can get it up to 312MHZ. 2.25 is fine for me for daily use.