Bulldozer or nehalem?

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by Elysianarcane, Jul 29, 2011.

1. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    right now it's like asking which is faster:
    AMD Northern Islands or NVIDIA Kepler ... no one knows.

deltatux

2. tyRant.594

tyRant.594 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI R9 280x
    I highly doubt its going to "RAPE" the BD. I dont know what your definition of rape is.. but dont think that is going to apply in this case. The i72600k should be beating the current gen Phenoms.. those have been on the same socket and still a great cpu! This new architecture change I am sure will be a great leap forward. Plus the way AMD always gives the price/performance gains, I am thinking it will rock in that category as well. Intel can keep making this 1k cpus and all this for that 1-2% of cpu buyers.. but If AMD puts together something that keeps up or beats it by 10-15% and is alot less, well that my friend is another WAR!

3. bonob

bonob Master Guru

GPU:
    radeon hd 6970 2 go
    If you look at benchmark with recent game or last graphic benchmark tools the difference of fps between phenom2 and i7 cpu is around 10% at 1080p, without being a fanboy its clear that with bulldozer cpu you will get at least same pref or hopefully better perf.

4. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    DUDE...Phenom II can't even keep up with core2 Architecture...
    Core 2 QX9775, QX9770, QX9650
    Core 2 Quad Q9650

5. The Chubu

The Chubu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSi GTX560 TwinFrozrII OC
    Stay there for a moment while i grab my Bulldozer engineering sample, run a few benchies and... oh wait... :wanker:

Long story short, only AMD knows the answer of that question.

6. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    My low end Phenom II quad core beats my cousin's Core 2 Quad Q6600 with both on stock clock lol.

deltatux

7. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    IN what, synthetic benches?

Anyways, most games prefer intel archictecture muuch more than amd

8. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    In Handbrake conversions, couple games like Starcraft II and just stuff we usually use.

I'm not a fan of synthetic benches so I never use it.

Honestly, games tend to run just as well between AMD and Intel rigs, it's only when you use CPU intensive tasks when Intel really wins. AMD's K10.5 microarchitecture can really only compete with Intel's Core 2... though Intel fanboys will never see that since they usually never actually use AMD hardware to test it for themselves.

deltatux

Last edited: Aug 13, 2011
  9. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    These so called intel "fanboys" do not need to use AMD for themselves. Reason is, no need to. Thats why there are reviews and benchmarks out there. Why would someone blow money to "test" out AMD to find it was as they expected, slower than the intel counterpart?

AMD needs to step it up, Intel has zero competition right now.

10. tyRant.594

tyRant.594 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI R9 280x
    I would say maybe 0 competition for the elite "gamers" or the tip top shoppers that just want the fastest because benches say it is. The high end desktop cpu market is small and getting smaller.. competition for laptops is heating up alot! A series from AMD is rocking and gives an amazing deal. Wait untill Bulldozer and trinity come out.. Then we will see whats going on. AMD is making its way for the future and doing a great job now. I expect them to take another 5-10% of marketshare by December. I am no fanboy for either company really, but I have owned both Intel and AMD.

11. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    Does your cousin have a HD 6870 and 4x2GB Ram like you???

12. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    MSi N570GTX TFIII [OC|PE]
  13. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    We tested this before I got those =P. When we tested it, he had a 8800GT and I had a Radeon HD 4850 and we both had only 4 GBs of RAM. We now both have 8 GB of RAM but he has the 6850 while one upped him and got the 6870.

Ye, I know, I never claimed it to be better than the Q9000 series. Do note that my Phenom II 810 by itself isn't better than Phenom II 900 series either. My point was, it still can compete with the Core 2. iirc, the Phenom II 900 series competed just fine with the Q9000 series.

deltatux

14. bonob

bonob Master Guru

GPU:
    radeon hd 6970 2 go
    and how about the phenom2 980 faster than any qx9xxx and only 125w but this thread is about bulldozer not deneb.

15. Artas1984

Artas1984 Guest

Sorry, but i really had to reply here! Just recently i have done some massive testing on processors clocked at the same 4 GHz speed: Nehalem, Sandy Bridge E, Bulldozer. This week i am getting the Piledriver to complete the 2 VS 2 battle.

For now i can tell you this: Nehalem totally demolishes the Bulldozer, it is not even close!!! Many here spoke out of speculation, but i have done 20 game benchmarks and 5 real world time benchmarks to back-up my mouth.

Just wait till i fill in the Piledriver this week and you will have a treat!!!

16. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

It depends on what you are using for testing. For encoding (done properly) and heavy threaded applications the processors are considerably closer, so it depends on what you want to do with it.

The disadvantage of going Intel regardless of looking into how they perform is that without competition the consumer suffers. TIM of the IHS on Ivy Bridge for example, as well as the possibility that Broadwell (or successor) will be soldered to the boards; something which would be very very bad for consumers.

Back when the Pentium 4 came out, people would buy Intel regardless of the fact that AMD was superior then. If they had better sales maybe we would have better competition now (more money for R&D, therefore better CPU's). Instead of getting a mainstream AMD, people usually spent the same money on the then Intel Celerons, which were so abysmally poor performance wise it makes the comparison between Bulldozer and Ivy Bridge seem moot.

A brand name is the most powerful tool a company has, followed by marketting and thirdly, how good the product actually is. Intel have always had the first two down, which is why they are where they are today.

17. mohiuddin

mohiuddin Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX670 4gb ll RX480 8gb
    egarly waiting for your results.
    Please don't just provide ur opinions .
    It will be better if u give some scores/numbers like fps,seconds etcetc.
    Oh, wait , u have a fx6300. Please include that also in your benches.

18. DSparil

DSparil Guest

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3080
    Neither! Get Vishera.

19. chilly willy

chilly willy Guest

GPU:
    1080ti
    old thread is old