AMD Catalyst (Modified Build)

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by TwL, May 29, 2010.

?

Should the Official INF be modified or not ?

Poll closed Jul 21, 2010.
  1. Yes (I want to go through registry and copy GUIDs to .reg file and add changes separately.)

5 vote(s)
    8.9%
  2. No (Functions should be editable as usual in CCC straight after install.)

25 vote(s)
    44.6%
  3. Both (I want to have official INF in install, separated modified INF & 'Functions.reg' as choice)

26 vote(s)
    46.4%
  1. psychok9

psychok9 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980TI Gaming 6G
    Thank you.
    I have tried your mix because I've supposed to fix my 2d problem with 10.3 drivers :)
    I don't found any fix on google, can you send me a pm?
    No one modify found works like 10.4 profiles (memory still at very high clock).
    Thank you very much in advance.

Last edited: May 30, 2010
  2. TwL

TwL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x5850 2x6950 + 9800GTX
    Just check first page of ATI cards on techpowerup. Should find an answer, mainly there's people suggesting clean up installation before reinstallation > should do the trick. As this should be in any case before any driver install:

-basic uninstall all ati
    -remove any ATI registers under:
    HKCU\Software\ATI... & HKLM\Software\ATI.. HKLM\Software\Wow6432Node\ATI.
    -kill in task manager 'AMD External Event'-service & remove the service with 'Autoruns'.
    -remove on 'drivers' > atikmdag.sys, atikmpag.sys, atipmdag.sys in autoruns
    -remove files "%windir%\system\ati*.*", "%windir%\sysWOW64\ati*.*", "%windir%\system\drivers\ati*.*"
    -remove "%appdata%\ATI" folder.
    -reboot if you get BSOD you know you screwed up to follow steps. Do them again.
    -regedit > "HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Video" > CTRL-F > search for 'amdkmdap' > should find {something}/video/ 'services=amdkmdap'-string > delete the { } key where it's in.
    -reinstall drivers.

Now that all reading above should be done by ATI/AMD but they screw it up all in every single driver. Why it should be done? because ATI screws up overwriting files also.

Last edited: May 31, 2010
  3. psychok9

psychok9 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980TI Gaming 6G
    Thank you for your post! This is a perfect manual for deleting all tracks (I've saved it now).
    I've used always Driver Sweeper & Driver Cleaner, but isn't the problem.
    When Overdrive (and a little OC or Under-OC) it's enabled on 10.5 Catalyst, look different p-state on bios tables (for fix multi-display problems) and I've found it some hours ago a temporary solution.
    http://forums.guru3d.com/showpost.php?p=3591546&postcount=418

Thanks anyway! :cheers:

4. TwL

TwL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x5850 2x6950 + 9800GTX
    well, driver sweeper ain't perfect for example it will not clean 'video' section and if that exists after drivers has been removed = no new section is made = Windows still has the old section configurations = not clean.
    as for your 'BIOS'-mod sure I believe that "BIOS"-modding is answer for 'experienced'-users, however, it's not answer for clean end users. beside that clock is there for purpose as I see in your screenshot.

but anyway, this 'ATI Catalyst'-topic I created is clean for people with more than 1 GPU. As main purpose is to allow entire set of equipment use abilities like 'DirectCompute'/'OpenCL'/'all functional settings in general' and include, if wanted basic advanced user settings to improve quality.

5. TwL

TwL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x5850 2x6950 + 9800GTX
    Hmm, well since I did see someone posted something about crash in 'install'. I tryied to reproduce issue. Installed the drivers twice in badly patched windows 7 and Vista clean.

there was no issue on install and everything works just as it should, if there's a crash it's user fault. Either way gonna update the installer on when anything new actually arrives.

6. marcosamerio

marcosamerio Master Guru

GPU:
    ZOTA NVIDIA 1060
    Hi

You ll release a 32 bits version?

Bye

7. TwL

TwL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x5850 2x6950 + 9800GTX
    Well, ain't planning it basically x86 is a bit different in this case as base '%windir%\system32\' is a singled out folder there is no mix up like in x64 or at least I am not aware there would be such issues in 32-bit OS like there is in x64 which this pack correlates.

This mod was never about performance, but functionality fix / correcting the v10.x mess up by combining right versions to work in everything end user would want working. As I see it we have more power in, atm, equipment on market than on small village and drivers blocking to use the power. As what goes to gaming we have no games to play which would utilize the power and this "xx% improvement to game X" is just some new idioticy. What I mean they are not fixing 'drivers' anymore they fix unique patches to software which is incredibly stupid.

8. Hans Dampf

Hans Dampf Master Guru

GPU:
    2x 5970 H2O + GTX470 H2O
    Hi Twl,

I was so happy when I saw your post.
    I know this has been a lot of work for you to test all of the stuff and bring it together! You did a great job!

I am running Quadfire 5970 + Eyefinity + 9600GT
    Thought I get it fixed now.
    Same problem for me as you described: The 9600GT will be display 1 after reboot. So it crashes the Eyefinity -> just 3 black screen or loss of icons (after adding the extended blacked out display) - first works - after reboot crashes

So I tried your Installation now several times. Followed your steps for deinstallation and reinstall. All is fine. I just done get PhysX enabled with the 257.15. - just no option for it and GPU-Z and Fluidmark and Vantage tell me: No Physx!
    With the PhysX modded 196.21 it worked just fine - but causes crashes after reboots.
    Don't know why I don't find the Physx-Option in NVidia-Control Panel - neither the NPT will give a result.
    NVidia control panel shows Physx correctly installed in the drivers section and CCC works fine.
    What can I do?
    Here is a screeny:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 1, 2010
  9. TwL

TwL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x5850 2x6950 + 9800GTX
    HD5970:
    Well the problem with the 'HD5970' is that the last functional driver level is so old here. AMD/ATI fixed a lot on these cards specifically on versions
    10.4->10.5. So, ain't gonna be easy setup in any case, if you get it working clean 1 time it will work on everything after.

When you install this card, before you start open up 'run...' > 'devmgmt.msc' > disable the NVIDIA card > then install > after you get all the ATI stuff in
    straight line > enable the NVIDIA side and progress below.

(I honestly don't think there is an fully functional solution, if the Catalyst v10.3b can't display correctly. As any v10.4-v10.5 will break the OpenCL
    functionality leaving only one choice and that's to have newest v10.5(v8.732) driver for HD5970 which this package doesn't have. :biggun: )

PhysX you probably will get working:
    As for PhysX (Turn off NVIDIA control panels & Tweakers & Fluidmark windows completely) use the 'Tweaker' there is disable the PhysX > reenable
    it. on Forceware '257.15'(to not extend display you still need GenL v1.03 Hybrid mod "1.03 was made to make 'fake display' so might bug") this should
    work. With '196.21'(you want to have v1.02, but v1.03 mod will work also.) you have to have display/fake display adapter attached while installing.
    Important:
    Do not switch an display cable from ATI device to NVIDIA device for this purpose, if you absolutely don't have an other display cable/fake adapter to
    attach leave it empty and use 1.03 patch in this case.
    Prefer these instead of 196.21:
    Forceware v196.34 Beta

(make sure after you've install there's no 'NVxxxxx.exe' files running while running an physX patch/hack and that you install in correct order + never
    run an PhysX application before final reboot and you cannot change physX settings while application using it is running. ATI(this package) > NVIDIA >
    PhysX(v9.10.0222) > patch/hack > reboot)

(In absolutely extreme issue on screen. hell, disable the NVIDIA card temporary on device manager > check for 'NVxxxxx.exe' > then install & patch
    "not suggested, but" works if everything else fails.) :pc1:

-edit-

As for display:
    Do this as I do, if you use an fake display adapter OR Display attached on NVIDIA side (drag-n-drop the NVIDIA display to least used corner):
    [​IMG]

It's a dirty trick(from catalyst v10.2 and below), but works for 'flickering' if such and if there's an 'real' or 'fake' display attached.

10. TwL

TwL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x5850 2x6950 + 9800GTX
    ^
    @Hans Dampf

hope that helps.

Sorry had to edit it a lot to explain the idea behind some things on installation progress to hopefully give you better picture where we are at and maybe you could just reinstall PhysX & disable enable correctly according to that without reinstall even, if you find where it went wrong.

11. Hans Dampf

Hans Dampf Master Guru

GPU:
    2x 5970 H2O + GTX470 H2O
    Hi TWL ! Meanwhile I tried and have some success with 257.15+Physx and no fake adapter.
    Nvidia shows now Physx enabled but Fluidmark runs on two ATI GPU's!! Weird stuff.
    See here:
    [​IMG]

You give me great support man! I will try your other proposals next.
    Strange thing: Fluidmark on CPU: 28FPS but on GPU 19FPS
    Checked Vantage PhysX and this one pushed PhysX as normal!

12. TwL

TwL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x5850 2x6950 + 9800GTX
    yeah, but in progress you lost ATI side. you see the 'DirectCompute' missing on NVIDIA side that's the ATI side over writing the correct order installed drivers there :(

use this guide I wrote to some other fellow yesterday to clean the ATI crap out (Although since you already got the correct driver hopefully haven't tested anything else shouldn't need full clean-up.):
    http://forums.guru3d.com/showpost.php?p=3591673&postcount=22
    (and don't forget that ATI Stream tools still have to be uninstalled as usually.)

It's a bit:
    [​IMG]

but with the above advice followed exactly you should get it functional flawless as I see the ATI Display driver is working correctly which is really good news.

(please use Fluidmark v1.1.1 to test. The new v1.2.0 uses Multithreaded PhysX which is always CPU in first core even while there would be NVIDIA it won't tell you it's there. v1.1.1 will tell you either 2 choises 'software' = CPU or 'Hardware' = NVIDIA card)

-edit-

Yeah, that's CPU alright.. You should be getting near 200FPS and around 20-60SPS GPU.

13. Hans Dampf

Hans Dampf Master Guru

GPU:
    2x 5970 H2O + GTX470 H2O
    I wil give it at try!
    So clean up again completely and start from the beginning, right?
    After years of searching I finally found the god of bits and bytes, who can make my system work!
    Glad to meet you here! I am very much impressed!
    :)

14. TwL

TwL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x5850 2x6950 + 9800GTX
    clean-base is half the job, but not absolute most, if you haven't installed v10.4 or v10.5 drivers. (problem is, if you have ATI installers are so crap they don't always overwrite newer files with older which you need).

yeah, do it once well and according to advice I started on and it'll be great setup. Just need to follow that word by word:
    http://forums.guru3d.com/showpost.php?p=3592764&postcount=29

-edit-

Perhaps on more advice on NVIDIA side (you can correct this after all ATI stuff etc etc if you want it won't mess anything to update/modify NVIDIA
    side when ATI is working and inside
    ):
    any v197.xx or v257.xx drivers you will lose ability to view NVIDIA GPU Usage on 3rd party tools and if NO display of
    any kind is attached you will also lose Memory Usage on tools like MSI Afterburner. Drivers although works just fine hardware physX.

Last driver you get GPU usage is the suggested 196.34 beta, but even on that you need 'some' adapter attached to see memory usage as it's readed
    from display. PhysX performance is the same no matter do you install 196.xx, 197.xx or 257.xx.

15. TwL

TwL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x5850 2x6950 + 9800GTX
    Just tested exact adviced setup here took an picture:
    [​IMG]

FluidMark v1.2.0:
    [​IMG]

Using 196.34 beta + PhysX patch v1.02 there with basic display setup added HDMI to ATI card & DVI from same display to NVIDIA. Also tested on fake adapter. Took this to demostrate the concept 'having' GPU/Memory utilization rocks ;P

NVIDIA control panel has 'PhysX section' so you don't need the 'tweaker'.

16. Hans Dampf

Hans Dampf Master Guru

GPU:
    2x 5970 H2O + GTX470 H2O
    Using 196.34 beta + PhysX patch v1.02 there with basic display setup added HDMI to ATI card & DVI from same display to NVIDIA. Also tested on fake adapter. Took this to demostrate the concept 'having' GPU/Memory utilization rocks ;P

Hi again TwL ! :)
    Do you think that this will work with 3 screens under Eyefinity??
    I could only attach one cable to the GT9600 - maybe two.
    The point is the extended display on three screen but Geforce only attached to one of them.
    For that reason I guess, the fake display with 196.34 + Patch 1.02 should work better - because I can extend the fake display to all three screens.
    -> Or just skip the fake display and do as I learned yesterday with the 257.15?

Another point: Yesterday night I did some benches with the setup I came so far. (Thought before I delete the drivers again clean, I can play with it until I go to bed) Vantage was running like overclocked :) Very nice framerates!
    - so I think: why not overclock it as always. Made a profile in CCC with my commonly stable 950 /1150mem @ 1.250V and got BSOD's, GSOD's and other crashes. So I clocked down - whatever clocks and voltage I tried .. crash.

My Point: Is it possible to overclock based on your setup or is overclocking screwed with it?
    Maybe to mention: Since I am commonly setting the voltage in the CCC Profile I uninstalled Afterburner to avoid crashes. Is this the wrong way?

Thanks again man for helping me out with your great knowledge! :)
    Wanna get this setup perfect and will not give up until!

17. marcosamerio

marcosamerio Master Guru

GPU:
    ZOTA NVIDIA 1060
    TWL im using your "extra_functions_catalyst.reg" to enable
    * Full DVXA encoding / decoding with GPU(s) (MPEG2 & AYUV0 included)
    * Temporal AA (Doubles AA effect on "every second frame?")
    * High Quality Anisotropic Filtering (Supposed to improve quality)
    * Hardware Geometry Instancing

can u put please a tweak reg to enable in CCC the function to change the Flip Queue size, i dont use ATT because i dont like it, and a last thing the option called "Optimize Pixel Shader Code" is on by default on the drivers or must be tweaked or enabled?

Bye and tanks

Last edited: Jun 2, 2010
  18. MerolaC

MerolaC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AsRock RX 6700XT
    +1 on this request, that would be awesome!

19. TwL

TwL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x5850 2x6950 + 9800GTX

To 9600GT cable question:
    No, basically if you do not want to attach cable and run with lets say PhysX patch 1.03 you would want to add the cable from same display (not in use,
    but as long it detects it's attached it's ok) until end of NVIDIA side install. You can then disable the NVIDIA adapter on device manager > remove the
    cable > reenable NVIDIA and there would be an Fake display (from PhysX hack 1.03) working without memory loss. memory loss occures when there is
    an display attached.
    NOTE: you will lose the monitoring capabilities of 9600GT in this case.

Attaching an real display to 9600GT is pointless as it is near 20 times weaker than your setup on ATI side would only harm the performance as NVIDIA
    card would drag down the ATI cards by too slow rendering.

Overclocking:
    No problem with overclocking. The CCC 10.5 has an bug in Overdrive so 3rd party tools like MSI Afterburner(if volterra chip in card) or AMD GPU Clock
    tool(if no volterra chip) would be ideal as CCC will come up with 2D bug of setting clocks always to 400/1200 etc.

However, none of that should 'crash' as you say your setup did. Unsure if this is Catalyst 10.3b specific bug(this does not happen on single ATI+NVIDIA) or just system not capable handling it. I
    cannot replicate this in here. So I am sorry to say you are on your own on this one.

The problem is ATT enabled 'FlipQueueSize' = ineffective through catalyst 10.2->10.5 command. In other words the registry entries doesn't do anything
    on ATT when you set flip queue size. I know the flip queue is there somewhere, but in, atm, drivers I can't find any way to enable it (I mean
    REAL effective enable it or lower it).

I could enable a lot of none sense registry entries hell I could even paste them here, but the point is to have 'functional' tweaks not myths that
    doesn't work.

20. marcosamerio

marcosamerio Master Guru

GPU:
    ZOTA NVIDIA 1060
    Im using 10.3b 32 bits too and when i enable "Geometry Instancing" i get a boost around 3 - 5 fps in assasing creed 2 and dow 2, how other registry tweaks can be enabled to perform or personalize the suit dirvers and a last thing the option called "Optimize Pixel Shader Code" is on by default on the drivers or must be tweaked or enabled?

Bye and thanks for reply