My Opty 180 arrived...Can you convince me to keep it?

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by FlawleZ, Sep 12, 2007.

1. FlawleZ

FlawleZ Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080Ti SC2
    I recieved stepping CCBWE 0550XPMW. The CCBWE are generally not good overclockers with the occasional decent chip that does 3Ghz. Well naturally my luck landed me a trash chip. It does about 2.7Ghz max stable, I'm near the limit right now at 2.760. And that's at 1.475 Volts. With my Zalman 9700, I'm seeing as much as 64C at times under load. That's completely unacceptable. It just hits a wall around 2.7 and it doesn't matter how much voltage you run, it BSOD's and won't load Windows.

So, even being slightly pissed, discouraged, disheartened, etc. I ran some benchies to see just how sucky this CPU is. Well, so far I can only manage a 31.500 in SuperPi. I've pulled 7391 in NuclearMC. Haven't 3DMark06 as I don't have it installed but I'm sure it would be less than satisfactory.

Basically, I'm just trying to prod everyone else's opinions, ideas, comments, concerns, etc. I'm 90% leaning towards sending this turd back. I welcome anyone who can provide enough reasons for me to keep it, but as of now I want it out of my system ASAP.

2. FlawleZ

FlawleZ Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080Ti SC2
    Oh yeah, probably the most important thing I forgot entirely. I noticed 0 improvement in BioShock going from my 4000+ to this Opty. You'd think the dual core would help, but all I saw was BioShock sucking up two cores instead of one. I saw no measureable FPS increase whatsoever which only leads me to believe that most games would scale the same given the same setup. Who knows, I doubt I'll keep this thing long enough to find out.

3. ProfBP

ProfBP Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080GTX
    If you won't want it, send it back. I love the Opty in my system. I replaced a 3200+ Venice with it (also another very good chip), and ya know what I too saw ZIP when it came to increases in performance. At clock for clock there was just no big difference. At any one time I'm running 32-34 programs in the background, and that never really impacted the performance of my 3200+ much.

The issue is that I just don't much intensive things that require a dual core CPU, and ALL the games I currently run are single core apps! I'm not belittling how cool the Opty is, just stating that I, like you, never saw much of an increase.

Now where the Opty shines is its abili9ty to be easily clocked. I never took my 3200+ beyond 2.3GHZ, just didn't have the cooling to do it, and I know it sound nuts, but it was true. Now my Opty 170, took it up to 2.5GHZ and have been running it there ever since.

But for you Flaws since you have a decent Sandy chip, and you can't get the clock you want out of the Opty and you don't use multi threaded apps much I'd say go back to your Sandy. For me, and a hugely serious over clocker the Opty runs me just fine, but for you, this 180 you have just doesn't seem to be cutting it.

And not to get on a tangent, but what I like about the opty is that its OC friendly to an extent. I run my Opty 170 at 2.5GHZ, and I recently got a better cooling option in the Thermaltake V1 so I took it up to 2.6GHZ last night just to see the difference. I ran 260X10 with a ram divider of I think 333, or 266, the HT multi of 4X, and the voltage still at 1.3 stock and even at those settings I ran Orthos 10 for 45 minuets and ran heavy games benches with AM3 and IL2 '46, not one issue. It was late and I didn't want to leave my PC on, but in running Orthos the highest temp was 45C. I lowered the HT multi down to 3X after reading to do so after going beyond 250 on the FSB, and I ran about a hours worth of Orthos 10, and AM3 benching, no issues and max temp was 44C.

Now I have mu Opty running back down at 2.5GHZ, It likes to flux between 2500MHZ and 2499MHZ (ooo big diff!), and not to sure why that it there, but at 250X10, a ram divider of either 333 and 266, HT multi of 4X, and voltage at 1.3 my HT is at 1000.0, my Ram runs at 208MHZ and I get a rating of about 8749, or 87.49 FPS in AM3.

If I run my 2.6GHZ the HT freg is either 1024, or 789 and my ram runing either 224MHZ or 217MHZ depending if I'm running a 4X multi or a 3X multi. My AM3 ratings go to 8997, or 89.97 FPS. For just a two and a half frame increase its not worth it for me in the loss or over increase in HT. So I'm back down to 2.5GHZ.

If I tried to raise my Venice to 2.4GHZ, it would fail SP2004 (Orthos for single cores) like crazy unless I added in voltage, and I wasn't going to do that when the temps were already started to make me buggy.

So here is where I like my multi. The dual core option is more for bragging rights right now then actual use as none of the games I run are or will be multi threaded. I do have FSX (a dual core candidate, we hope), but it ran like sludge in large cities on my 3200+ at 2.3GHZ and I doubt that at 2.5GHZ I'll see much of a difference.

SO! To wrap over with winding post, I'd say if you want a 3.0GHZ chip, just use your Sandy, and RMA the Opty. Single core CPUs are still the predominate kind in hardware, and 97-99% of the software in use these days is designed to work with only a single core app. Unless you like running your Antivirus, spyware scanner, and playing a game all at the same time , which to me just sounds silly.

4. Finny

Finny Maha Guru

GPU:
    eVGA GTX260 core 216 soon
    You can always sell it to me.....:)

5. MoosePower

MoosePower Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    I have the 180 also, but my stepping is JH-E6. The max overclock I can get is around 2700MHz. Although I believe it's my motherboards fault... Does anyone have any experience with this stepping?

6. wiskerbizkit

wiskerbizkit Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5850
    man i think your problem is the 7800, its prolly choking the 180 even at stock speed. especially in bioshock. 2.6+ on a dual core 939 is nothing to shake a stick at. i think you should keep the processer.

Did you install the amd driver/dual core optimizer?

7. Psychlone

Psychlone Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD5970 Engineering
    I personally wouldn't have even opened the package if I read CCBWE on the IHS, but again, that's me.
    If you're not happy with it, RMA it and chance another one, perhaps with a better stepping this time (I told you your chances of landing a good stepping the first time are low... ;) )
    The LCBQ's and LCB9's are running into the 3GHz+ range very nicely and are being warehoused from NJ to CA...newegg usually, and I mean that with a grain of salt, usually ships out decent steppings.

Good luck in whatever you do.

@ Moosepower: JH-E6 isn't really the stepping, per se. What we're all talking about here is the series/date/lot#, etc. of the chip the silicon actually came off...it's imprinted on the IHS right on the top for you to see. If you cleaned off your thermal paste and took a look, you'd see your stepping in all it's glory.

CCB1E and CCBBE are 2 of the best steppings out, but again, the LCBQE and LCB9E are newer but also hitting high overclocks (~ 3GHz+)

Psychlone

8. FlawleZ

FlawleZ Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080Ti SC2
    I was bidding on a 185 on Ebay a few days back and apparently I have recieved a second chance offer as the original buyer backed out. So, that means I'm offered a 185 with stepping LCB9E 0630BPMW for $125! Looks like they're hitting 3Ghz no problem, some having to run ~1.475, some a bit less. So, that basically means I'm definitely sending my 180 back to NewEgg for a refund and I'll be picking up the 185 instead. That pretty much made my day.

9. FlawleZ

FlawleZ Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080Ti SC2
    On a side note, I've noticed that this chip really is taking heed to the old CPU burn in that is always thrown around. I wasn't even able to POST at or around 2.8Ghz on this chip and I've booted into Windows now at ~2.9Ghz. It seems as if I spent enough time with this chip, it would actually fare as well so long as it keeps "breaking in" at the current rate. I would assume it would stop but I don't know where or what that would be. While it is starting to clock better, it still scales poorly with volts. I'm having to run 1.55 to get it to boot Windows at 2.9Ghz. Obviously not something I want to run 24/7. So its still a for sure thing that this chip is outta here as soon as my new one arrives.

10. FlawleZ

FlawleZ Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080Ti SC2
    I installed the AMD Dual Core Optimizer and it actually did absolutely nothing for my performance. I was already running both cores under multithreaded applications such as BioShock so I didn't really see how the optimizer would do much more.

And WTF are you talking about my 7800GTX "choking" this 180? Sure, an 8800GTX would give me more FPS, but with my clock speeds my 7800GTX performs right around 7900GTX performance. I'm maxing every game available at atleast 1280X1024, so I don't necessarily see how my card is "choking" the 180. FYI this 180 is just plain slow in FPU and ALU even when compared to my 4000+ @ 3.2Ghz.

11. wiskerbizkit

wiskerbizkit Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5850
    well dude you never mentioned your 4000 was @3.2ghz dont jump down my ****ing throat. and yeah even at 550/1700 a 7800gtx barely keeps up with a stock 7950gt. sell the opty and go buy a 320m 8800. i'd still rather a dual core@2.5 then a single @3.2.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2007
  12. wiskerbizkit

wiskerbizkit Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5850
    I'm pretty sure it is.

13. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    as i alway said "stepping is more important than commercial name"...

so now you got it what can you do to get descent OC lol

-Opty doesn't need massive overvolt to get high ;) in fact the heating from overvolt make it slower than it can do... (keep in mind that Opty are more quality manufactured due to more strick norm) ex: i have hit 3.0ghz in lower voltage than my 2.8ghz previous try...

-don't play too much with internal coef (it heat much more)

-try to cool it better (cooler it get better it is)

For bioshock it is normal... :D this game use more the GPU than the CPU

14. MoosePower

MoosePower Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    Yah, I didn't really think that was the stepping, but it's what everest told me it was. I just got a new motherboard off ebay, so I'll check it then. It would be a little tedious to take off my geninii and 120mm fans just to check on the stepping.

15. FlawleZ

FlawleZ Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080Ti SC2
    Well its only been in my profile since geez, IDK... since I've had this chip?

The 7800GTX is on average about 5% faster than the 7950GT. Which means its actually the other way around. But, so what? Your card is slower than a 7950GX2 half the time, but does it have anything to do with anything? Of course not.

Point is, I never made any reference to my system not running anything well. You just assumed that I was complaining about it running sluggish when in fact, all I was saying was I didn't see any excess improvement in my FPS going from my single core to a dual core. Basically, I'm still average 30-45 FPS in BioShock everything maxed 1280X1024.

16. ArCElM

ArCElM Banned

GPU:
    Gigabyte WF 680 x2 SLi
    This is all interesting to me because I am in the sae boat, I cannot afford a System overhaul, so I am looking at the Opty Dual Cores.

17. robotman

robotman Master Guru

GPU:
    HD7970 1150/6400(R9280X)
    my chip is also ccbwe and i get 2.8ghz on 1.6 vcore max temp 45c

18. Mannerheim

Mannerheim Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800XT
    NO. I didnt see any difference with Pentium D820 and E4400. both stock and difference is huge in many games. But not in BIOSHOCK.