Computer Problem

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Trilogy94, Jan 7, 2014.

1. Trilogy94

Trilogy94 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 285 SLI
    Hello everyone, I'm having an issue with my computer and I'm struggling to find the solution, I will try to explain as clearly as I can.

My specs are:
    Asus p6T Deluxe v2
    Core i7 920 @ Stock
    Corsair XMS3 6GB DDR3 (2x3)
    2x BFG GTX285 OC
    Creative X-fi Titanium Fatal1ty Champ
    2x WD Caviar Blue 500GB
    Corsair HX1000

So... My computer was shutting off randomly, it could take 30 minutes or even 2 hours until the first power off happened, but after reboot, it wouldn't even get to Windows without shutting off again, but if I entered the BIOS, the PC would stay there forever. After testing my memory and two spare PSU's I had, I came to the conclusion that it was my GPU, by taking it to my friend's PC which had my 2nd GPU and trading them up, making his PC also shutting off.

So I came home with my 2nd GPU, while playing fifa 14 my display froze, letting me with the overall color of the game menu, and the menu music playing, as I thought it was only the display that had failed, I was moving the arrows to see if I could hear the menu, but my keyboard was responding, and after the song playing stopped, it didn't played the next track, so I pressed the reset button but without success, my display stayed the same but I could hear my CPU cooler ramping down and then up (as if my PC was POSTing) and my hard drives loading Windows, but my GPU fan speed maintained at 100% (it's flashed to work that way) while it should had done the same thing CPU cooler did, so I shut it down and turn it on again. After some time the same thing happened while I was web surfing, so I replaced the GPU with my cousin's HD 3870 and the same thing happened yet again, so I thought it could be some other component in the PC and I took my 2nd GPU back to my friend.

But this time, the same thing was happening on his PC as well. Like something on my PC had mess up my GPU pretty bad. Can components mess each other up? And if they can, what components could do that? Because I'm about to upgrade my PC (board, ram, cpu and gpu) and I'm afraid the rest of my components just mess up with the new ones.

Unless every card failed at the same time, I don't know what could possibly be the issue.

Cheers*

2. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    PSU could be damaging the GPUs

3. Trilogy94

Trilogy94 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 285 SLI
    Is there a way for me to know that?

4. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    a bit of a long shot, but it could also be a short circuit or a virus causing this.

Make sure no loose screws etc. within your case. Also, thermal paste residues may cause short circuits, especially silver paste. Double check your components and especially PCI-E connectors on both the GPUs and mobo.

The virus would probably be more likely a cause as your friend's having issues too.

Have you transferred any files with your friend recently via e-mail or for example USB flash disks? Chances are you both have the same virus in your systems I suppose.

Run a full computer scan with your antivirus software, can't hurt.

5. Pzykotik

Pzykotik Guest

GPU:
    ZOTAC RTX 2070 AMP
    Does your machine run ok if you only have one GPU in it?

6. Trilogy94

Trilogy94 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 285 SLI
    As for now everything I did was trying my PSU on my cousin's computer in which it seemed to be OK, anyway that's not a reason to take it out of the equation.

When I took the 2nd GPU to my friend's PC, he reinstalled Windows before installing the GPU (he used onboard graphics for that), and also I did several reinstallations of Windows on my PC as well while troubleshooting.

Could it be the motherboard? This current board I'm using is used due to my previous one (Asus p6T) broke down on me. But its weird how can the problem move from PC to PC.

What I'm going to try this weekend is:
    - Test my PSU on my cousins computer one more time with his 2nd HD 3870 (which I still didn't install on my PC)
    - If nothing happens, I will pick a spare PSU, install it on my PC, and then install the 2nd HD 3870 and see how it goes

Just for the hell of it I will install both my GPU's and see what happens as well. Just for the record, I tried every modular PCI-E connector my PSU supplies.

Thank you guys for your replies, I will be posting the results here later

7. Trilogy94

Trilogy94 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 285 SLI
    I'm only working with one GPU, whenever I say 2nd it is just to differentiate each GPU. One of them shuts down the computer completely and I haven't used until then (that the 1st). The other one was OK until the problem stated in the post started happening (that's the 2nd).

8. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    well that takes the virus part out of the equation for sure. I'd still check for any short circuits just in case.

Sure, it's strange that problems move from computer to computer and I suppose it could be the mobo causing this.

Are you using the newest BIOS? Both in your motherboard and graphics card? Sorry if you already mentioned it as I must have missed it then.

9. Trilogy94

Trilogy94 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 285 SLI
    This p6T Deluxe I bought came with the first revision BIOS but I already updated it to the latest one. My GPU's BIOS are modified to have a min duty cycle of 100% but they were extracted from my own GPU's and then modified, so no they are not updated. Don't worry asking for things that I might or not mentioned before, as I re-think to answer them again, I might remember something important I forgot mentioning earlier. I'm heading home right now and today I will play around with the spare components I have laying around. Will post every result here later on.

10. Trilogy94

Trilogy94 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 285 SLI
    Well... I couldn't test my theory on the weekend because the 2nd HD3870 failed a few months ago and I didn't knew about it. I think the only thing I can do now is test my power supply on a working computer or use some kind of gadget to test output values and stuff and see if they are correct and hope that nothing happens with my new components.

Thanks

11. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Hope everything works out!

Cheers.

12. Trilogy94

Trilogy94 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 285 SLI
    I know its been quite a while since the last post on this thread but I have an update.

This weekend, in a despaired kind of move, I installed my 2nd GPU on my cousin's PC and played some games until that problem happened again, as I mentioned earlier my GPU's bios are modified, and I decided to flash the original ones which I had backed up just in case, I dunno for sure but I think it fixed the thing, I'm playing games for two days now and nothing happened. I'm using my cousin's PC with my PSU, if nothing happens until next weekend I'm going to install my GPU on my own PC with a spare PSU to see what happens.

Cheers