Introducing NVIDIA HairWorks: fur and hair simulation solution - Q&A with NVIDIA

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Spets, Jan 16, 2014.

1. Warrax

Warrax Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070Ti
    No offence but you look as butthurt as them with your hate post. It's post like these that start flamewars, I would ban you for a couple of days if I was an administrator. You should go take some air outside, you need it.

2. ClockClocker

ClockClocker Master Guru

GPU:
    970 gtx
    Had a 560TI. PhysX is nice but not a reason to buy a NV card. That hair thing is pretty much useless. TressFX is the same, why not just use this? Seems like the performance is bad too.

3. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    I'm not sure what's wrong with some people these days. But goodbye, I do not want people on these forums talking like that.

4. V@IO

V@IO Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX780Ti @ 1233/7400MHz
    Good on you mate, people like that don't deserve to be part of any form.

5. FerCam™

FerCam™ Guest

GPU:
    MSI Gaming GTX980
    It's nice to have new effects, but the wolfs with the fur look like grey foxes, maybe just a question of early implementation.

6. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    I'm happy it's directcompute, as I'm hopeful same for witcher 3 :p thank you amd for making nvidia compete on this side with open standards ;)

Of course it is still far from how dog fur moves that is just silly. Or looks. But way better then earlier (not that tressfx is any better with hair, but it is way better then earlier).

Last edited: Jan 16, 2014
  7. Corbus

Corbus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Moist 6900 XT
    I did just now, i remember playing it ok on my old 285 , with this 760 with 16xQ AA and everything max and physx on of course i have constant 60 fps. Boost doesnt even kick in, only time i saw it kick in was in that hole where you descend with that helicopter chasing you and theres some fog on the ground and i jumped and slided and ran through it thats when it hit 1280mhz and even then gpu was 70% used max.

8. omnimodis78

omnimodis78 Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080FTW
    Man, I really don't get most of the comments here... Firstly, since when is PhysX such a bad thing? Yes, it's not open but I don't really care because I made a choice to own an NVIDIA product, thus I can use it. If you choose to buy a competitor brand, then you live with the benefits and limitations of your decision. Isn't this how it works in a free market? You chose to eat at Burger King, don't complain that you can't buy a Bic Mac.

Also, any game that has PhysX runs great on my single GPU not-bad-not-great machine, even when its setting is on max. I genuinely don't know why some of you would be saying that your SLI systems are struggling with PhysX.

And let's be clear about how NVIDIA isn't copying TressFX, because A New Dawn already incorporated awesome hair simulation technology (July 2012) before any one of us ever heard of TressFX (March 2013); and that's all in addition to NVIDIA's Real-time Hair Rendering on the GPU work from back in 2007/08.

And that's all in addition to the fact that this article isn't even about CUDA or PhysX

9. Spets

Spets Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Yup, pretty funny how many members jump into a thread to bash Nvidia without reading the article.
    Simulating 500,000 individual hair strands is a big task.

10. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    It's just how it is. Tech leaders have always inspired passionate hate.
    Closed or open standard like here, does not matter.
    If Nvidia built Exaflops supercomputer and used it to cure cancer, it would be:

OMG NV PURPOSLY HOBBLES PHYSX and fails again....WHAT ABOUT DEMOCRACY IN CUBA

11. mR Yellow

mR Yellow Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 Fury
    Apologise for the original post. Didn't see the DirectCompute part :p
    My bad.

12. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Yes that's all fine and dandy, but there is one main difference, TressFX is actually in a game, not just another tech demo..

Nvidia made some awesome hair back in 2004? with 6800GTS, nalu the mermaid but it never came to reality..

They have this hair demo out since 2010 and still no game using it.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7s7UyAVbmU

I wonder what kinda of hair will they use on witcher3 model still 2d or nvidia hair.. So far it looked like 2d mostly :infinity:

13. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    haha:)

14. Valagard

Valagard Guest

Because PhysX is not an open standard, it will never, repeat, NEVER be used as something that improves GAMEPLAY, and not just "I have a lot more sparklies/paper flying around my screen" as it is now, which makes it worthless.

Having SLIGHTLY more eye candy doesn't suddenly make a 7 out of 10 game a 10 out of 10 game, it makes it a 7 out of 10 game with slightly better graphics.

When PhysX is actually used to make a game BETTER, and not just make stuff pretty, MAYBE then people might take a real interest in it, but that will NEVER happen as long as Nvidia keeps it a closed standard, because videogame makers are not that retarded to shut out 75%+ of the market share for a game.

15. nick0323

nick0323 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus DUAL RTX2060S
    The effects look good, I was wondering when NVidia would pull out their hair and put some effort in to this (lame pun).

One would expect it to run poorly whilst it's still being worked on and optimised, basic.

I sorrow for the PhysX bashers.

16. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Wait I'm confused is CoD:Ghosts not out? I could have sworn that game was released and uses this tech.

17. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    was there a 6800GTS?, I had a 6800gt back in the day

18. Corbus

Corbus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Moist 6900 XT
    Nope, only XT, GS , GT and Ultra. He must have made a typo.

19. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    ^
    yea was a typo, talk about nitpicking.

When I wrote I already had 6800GT in, but i said nah that can't be right something is missing xD

What you mean those 2d fur sprites? I wouldn't call that anything special.

And btw that's physx based fur, this topic here is about direct compute based hair, fur.

lol still confused? ;D

Last edited: Jan 17, 2014
  20. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Glad my days of gaming are coming to an end.... How many more APIs do we need?