Win8.1 may return with start menu

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by Fyew-jit-tiv, Apr 16, 2013.

1. Fyew-jit-tiv

Fyew-jit-tiv Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 580 Hydro 3GB x2
  2. scoutingwraith

scoutingwraith Guest

GPU:
    Tuf 3070Ti / P1000
    Until we get a testing version (not sure if there are any out). We can for sure say it is out because this might be a hack or a program such as Start8.

3. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    They better do this or they risk alienating majority of their loyal customers who love the current UI.

4. PinchedNerve

PinchedNerve Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte AORUS 1080 Ti XE
    Win 8 should have had an option from day 1 to either use Metro or classic Star Menu. Problem solved for those with & without a touch screen.

Anyone seen Idiocracy? There is a portion of the movie where the main character goes to the Hospital & the front desk lady has a bunch of buttons with pictures on them (38 seconds into the linked trailer) because reading & thinking has been breed out.

[​IMG]

Windows 8 "Metro" forced Start Screen = Idiocracy imo.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2013

5. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

I did read this, with variations of what might appear on the Start Menu. It has been suggested it's more of an 'Apps list' than a more traditional start menu. It might just show 'Windows Apps' (which are targetting tablets/phones), although it might show standard applications too, possibly? Just don't expect a traditional start menu!

6. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Theres little point for them to bring back the start menu if its just an apps list. But I do hope they can improve it, ie, list things in categories and broaden it rather than long vertical lists. Would be a good for them to pick up ideas from other OS's out there.

[​IMG]

7. JoeyJoeJoe5500

JoeyJoeJoe5500 Guest

GPU:
    AMD Radeon HD 6870 1GB
    It may just be a button that brings you to metro.

8. HairyCube

HairyCube Guest

GPU:
    nVIDIA GeForce GTX 850M
    I only heard about Boot to Desktop and Start Button. No hints on the return of Start Menu.
    Wow, so much for the revolutionary new interface huh? What next? Will they ever fix the ugly plain design? Will they replace the disgusting bootloader? Will they add window transparency and glass blur? Perhaps we'll see Windows Aero return in 8.2 lol.

9. Arctucas

Arctucas Guest

GPU:
    eVGA RTX2080 FTW3
    No Immersive UI (Metro) and no Windows Store, then I would consider 'upgrading' from Windows 7. Otherwise. no thanks.

10. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Full start menu, Aero and original pricing offers at start of Win 8 launch.
    I'll buy it then.

if not, too little, too late.

11. joe187

joe187 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3070ti FTW
    I love windows 8 now, in almost all other respects.

They just totally fudged up the interface, if they have any sense left over at the company they will change it... at least put a damned button in the corner cause it looks like total A** with nothing there but a little awkward space.

Well i least i was able to remedy that with the program "Classic Shell".