Return of AMD FX: My OC'd AMD FX 8150 review with OC'd 6990 - First Results UP!

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by polyzp, Jan 6, 2012.

1. bokah

bokah Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 670GTX 2G
    i dont know what ur talking about
    but if i oc my i5 by 30%, thats what i get in increased performance: exactly 30%

someone please correct me

2. polyzp

polyzp Guest

GPU:
    XFX 6990
    20% increase in performance for 40% increase in clock is llano vs piledriver . you are comparing your own chip to the exact same chip so it would be 30% to 30%

Now, the piledriver trinity cores can oc as well, so if you oc them 30%, performance increases by 30%.

If they came out with a 4.2 Ghz llano k10.5 core chip, this would have higher performance when compared t a 4.2 ghz piledriver core, Hoever, at 4.2 ghz, there is little to no oc headroom for k10.5, while for piledriver clocks of 5 Ghz and over will be attainable on air. It also looks like 3rd generation steamroller cores will be out in january. So that means 3 generations of bulldozer within a year and a half which is really what AMD needs. :banana:

3. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    blah, blah, blah. just like your nvidia is in trouble thread regarding kepler.

4. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    lolz. he is amd rep im telling you...

5. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
  6. polyzp

polyzp Guest

GPU:
    XFX 6990
    Oh you guys and your shenanigans..

7. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    agreed shenanigans here

8. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    I can't believe people are still posting in this thread.... Most of us lost respect for the "FX" moniker when Bulldozer was released.

9. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    ^^ yeah agreed

10. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    agreed guys^^^^

11. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    agreed to agree> lol

12. Foamy4

Foamy4 Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX770 4GB
    I'd completely forgotten about AMD. Glad to see the results. However it's priced way too high and uses too much power.

13. Matt26LFC

Matt26LFC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti
    I'll be honest, I haven't bothered to read the whole thread, was getting boring reading all the bitching back and forth.

However I do agree that clock speeds need to be closer together, comparing 4.8Ghz BD to 4Ghz SB just isn't right, imo

The problem IS however that the OP isn't conducting the tests himself, I think, he's just pulling results from OTHER reviews and mashing it all together and trying to paint a nice pretty picture.

No doubt he's performing some of the tests himself, however for a clean clear and unbiased Review you NEED all the hardware at your OWN disposal to conduct tests FAIRLY and PROPERLY

While I appreciate any efforts made here by the OP its largely imo pointless to compare in the way that he is.

Do it right first time and we won't have these problems

Just my two cents

14. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    pointless thread is pointless. im just going to leave these here. :rolleyes:

15. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    ill +1 (short version)

:)

16. polyzp

polyzp Guest

GPU:
    XFX 6990
    Id be glad to test with an i7 2600k if anyone wants to send one, otherwise im continuing my benchmarks in 2 weeks with the 990FX UD7 and this time 8 Gb of ram @ stock 2400 mhz cl9. Ill also be comparing the best thermal paste(Arctic MX4) against the best thermal compound (Indigo xtreme) to see how much a thermal benefit one really gets with an air cooler and a hot bulldozer chip. I respect your opinions about my review, and would be glad to accomidate the community's requests.

17. polyzp

polyzp Guest

GPU:
    XFX 6990
    Here are some pics of my new motherboard + ram together. New Post with New benchmarks April 20th.

---

Exit
    ASUS Crosshair V +
    4 Gb Gskill 2200 CL7

---

Enter
    GA-990FX-UD7 +
    8 Gb Team Xtreem 2400 CL9

[​IMG]

The first thing that came to mind when I first laid eyes on my new Gigabyte 990FX UD7 board was that it was quite the beautiful board. Much respect for the simple PCIE 16x slot latches, the Crosshair V uses a more traditional type, and sleek heatsink design.

EDIT: It should be noted that I received a revision 1.1 board from Newegg Canada, and that it does have Load Line Calibration (LLC) controls in the bios.

[​IMG]

The new Team Xtreem DDR3 ram has a cheap but cool looking reflecting sticker, but what is most appealing are the stats: 2400 Mhz @ Cl9, which is only surpassed by Corsair's grossly overpriced and discontinued Dominator GT dual channel flagship memory.

[​IMG]

The memory height is not found online, and could be helpful to potential buyers.

Team Xtreem memory height : 52mm

Promlatech Genesis allowed height: 54mm

So this is awfully close to the tallest ram you could use with this cooler. I have seen Dominator GT ram at a height of 54mm barley fitting underneath the heat sink, found here, and a 53 mm Corsair Vengeance stick here.

[​IMG]

I am hoping to hit 2600 Mhz speeds with these sticks overclocked, and see exactly where 8 gb benefits over 4 gb with an AMD setup. We shall see in the weeks to come!

18. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Looks like a really nice board, I'm happy they are still sending you stuff.

19. polyzp

polyzp Guest

GPU:
    XFX 6990
    Got this with my own money :spam3:

20. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    How do I get amd to send me h/w OP? Video cards in particular. Definitely not CPU though