GTX650TI single slot mod - cooling/underclocking/undervolting question

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by kacperpl1, Jul 31, 2013.

1. kacperpl1

kacperpl1 Member

GPU:
    Gainward GTX650TI 1GB GS
    So I got myself nice ITX build with 19 litre CM Elite 120A, however while I got some cash to spare I wanna try putting this into even smaller, 10 litre Tacens Ixion. The main problem is the single slot requirement for VGA's in those tiny cases.

First thing was thinking what card should I buy instead of my 650TI but closest HD7750 is half its perf and I'm not sure if I wanna go for ATI. Then i noticed some guys with same problem talking about getting single slot sledges for 650TI so I looked at my card and realised its doable without breaking the card and voiding warranty.

So it looks like this(before and after):
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Without the fan i get like 50 degrees while not playing. But when i start the game the hell awekens and card shuts after quickly reaching 100 degrees :p

So the question is - how to underclock and undervolt the card OR what to get to cool this stuff efficiently while gaming? I did try forcing lower clocks with EVGA precisionX but kepler gave no fuxx :p

2. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    You could try purchasing and mounting a skinnier fan that is the same size in diameter the original fan but skinnier in thickness to the to that heatsink to keep it cool considering you are trying to run a graphics card that used a fan originally.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2013
  3. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Needs more cooling! I would say try to add more fins to the heatsink, and mount a series of smaller fans inside the heatsink by shaving down some fins. that way the heat has somewhere to go. You could also remount the heatsink with better thermal pads for the memory, and better thermal paste on the gpu.

4. kacperpl1

kacperpl1 Member

GPU:
    Gainward GTX650TI 1GB GS
    LoL - The main idea is not to break the card and keep its warranty :)

Tacens Ixion looks like this:
    [​IMG]
    Card is about the length of ITX board so i still have some place to mount cooler blowing air through the fins but I can't find any good and big ones sucking air by front and blowing it sideways. Also I think I'll need to perforate case side for this because it only have perforations on the other side.

Other option would be getting some good water cooling for this and setting the cooler's radiatior on the other side but I couldn't find any of those fitting the 650TI. Any help with this?

5. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    A cooler that is not made for proper convection with the ambient air will always allow the card to overheat. You will have to find a single-slot passive cooler (good luck) if you want to cram the card in without a fan.

The alternative is a single slot heatsink with a fan (again, good luck).

Might need to grab a stock single-slot heatsink that has the same mounting points as this one around the GPU, and mod that so that the metal makes no contact with any component on the card.

6. MM10X

MM10X Guest

GPU:
    3080 FE
    Run a blower fan mounted behind the GPU.
    Make sure to put exhaust vents somewhere. Maybe cut/drill pattern the side panel for extra intake.

Something like this.

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/1...r_Slot_Fan_-_Black_AK-SB-BK.html?tl=g36c15s62

you should fit fans in the front of that case somehow- as long as there is SOME airflow through there!

7. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    Yeah as others pointed out, passive cooling ain't gonna cut it even if you underclock it. You're gonna need some way of pulling the heat off the GPU. About a year ago the fans on my GPU broke (never getting gigabyte again) so I removed the cover and tied a 120mm case fan to the heatsink, ended up getting better temps than before, almost a 10c drop.
    I would do something similar or position a case fan in the chassis close to the GPU as an exhaust fan.

8. kacperpl1

kacperpl1 Member

GPU:
    Gainward GTX650TI 1GB GS
    Thanks for replies. I'm thinking about getting something like this:
    [​IMG]
    But a bit smaller to fit it sideways(90 degrees clockwise)

It would fit perfectly behind the board, with fan attached, but still dunno if it would be enough considering the central position inside the case.

Anyone know of something like this?

9. Captain Oats

Captain Oats Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte gtx760 2gb
    Check size of the gap between the heatsink and the front of your card. Looks like its about 40-60mm long. Buy one or two fans if you can fit two side by side. Cut one side of plastic frames with a little saw or sth so they would suck air from the side. Mount them with plastic cable management stripes or sth. It should do. You can try to connect them to some fan controler. Also change the TIM on gpu to some decent one and you should be done in 20-50zl.(Hej ja tez z Pl :) )

10. Omagana

Omagana Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super
    Stick a scythe slip stream fan on it?

Extra thin I've used a couple in the past for tight radiator spots.
    [​IMG]