Best AIO liquid cooler for 1080 Ti?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Danny_G13, Jun 8, 2017.

1. Danny_G13

Danny_G13 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Trio
    I know you're trying to be helpful but please be better informed before giving out bad information.

Pascal throttles from 40C onwards, some even say 30C. It basically drops down 15Mhz every 5C increase.

2. Danny_G13

Danny_G13 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Trio
    Cheers. Cheapest I can find the EVGA for is about £160UK. Heck of a lot pricier than I wanted tbh.

3. slickric21

slickric21 Guest

GPU:
    eVGA 1080ti SC / Gsync
    Yes it is ALOT of money that tbh.

A cheaper option would be going the Arctic AIO - which is said to be 1080ti compatible. However the only reports I see of this being used on a 1080ti (Reddit) the user had temps of 65'c which implies either a bad install or poor contact between AIO and GPU, maybe a shin is needed.

If you had a non FE 1080ti (like me) you could have got a Kraken G10 and any AIO Cooler, and keep the mid plate on for Proper VRM cooling.
    You could do that with a FE card but then you would be into the realms of that install video (if keeping the ref blower for VRM's) and you would definitely need a copper shim between GPU and base of AIO.

The eVGA kit is the only kit that doesn't need a copper shim between GPU and AIO as it has a stepped base.

4. Danny_G13

Danny_G13 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Trio
    It does seem these two are the only genuinely valid out of the box option. I too have seen Accelero on 1080Ti and the temps were 50C.

https://***************/67215/nvidia-geforce-gtx-1080-ti-tested-with-arctic-accelero-hybrid-iii-140

Guy uses it on Witcher 3, and it tops out at about 50C.

I'd take that.

EDIT: forgot urls are parsed out.

5. slickric21

slickric21 Guest

GPU:
    eVGA 1080ti SC / Gsync
    Hmm 50'c whilst gaming seems high, especially considering it's using the 140mm radiator/fan version. Usually only see that under prolonged stress testing when water cooling a GPU

Plus the Accelero Hybrid kit has no RAM cooling, so you would need to buy extra heat sinks if wanting to cool ram which would be adviseable if overclocking it.
    About £100 plus a few ££ for some heat sinks for the ram.

Or get the eVGA Hybrid kit which will cover everything for £150 and look a lot better !!

Tough call, but either way you won't go wrong. After you have had a water cooled GPU you will never go back to an air cooler ;)

6. Danny_G13

Danny_G13 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Trio
    Figured that out years ago on my CPU ;)

Looking into the EVGA - seems the 1080 kit is exactly the same except the shroud's hole is marginally smaller. That would save me £30+.

7. tensai28

tensai28 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    rtx 4080 super
    Really? Does that apply to all 1080ti's? Mine's throttling at 70.:3eyes:

8. slickric21

slickric21 Guest

GPU:
    eVGA 1080ti SC / Gsync
    No not really.

Now maybe people confuse throttling with boost 2.0/3.0 doing its thing whatever, but for all intents they are the same thing, clock speed/voltage lowering based on temps.

After having my last 3 cards water cooled 980ti,1080,1080ti I can absolutely tell you that the first 'downclock' happens when 40'c is reached, the next one happens at around 47'c.

If you don't have a water cooled card then you probably will never see these happen as you will likely skip several downclock events instantly as the card heats up very quickly at stabilises at much higher temps.

I have my card clocked at 2025 now, it will start at this clock then quickly downclock to 2012 at 40'c where it will stay indefinitely as my temps remain ~45'c.
    If I lower my fan speed and let temps go up it will downclock to 2000mhz and voltage will drop from 1.063 to 1.052 at 47-48'c

I don't know what happens after this as the card has never been above 50'c since I put the AIO on it.

9. Gromuhl'Djun

Gromuhl'Djun Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070ti
    Depends on what was running.

I can run Skyrim SE @4k and the temps stay under 40c, but if I run Heaven benchmark @4k for an hour, my temp reached 69c on the Kraken G10, Corsair H75 +1080ti.
    In most games the temps would hover around 60.
    Also remember that to truly test the thermal limits of an AIO, you have to run the test until the temperature balances out. I could say that the H75 would keep my GPU at 50c max if I only ran Heaven for 10 minutes. Many people don't do this.

That is also with the fans @silent. If I ramped up the fan speed, temps would be much lower indeed, but that defeats my purpose: a silent pc that performs great.

10. slickric21

slickric21 Guest

GPU:
    eVGA 1080ti SC / Gsync
    No i'd still say a bad install (poor contact,poor thermal paste,poor radiator positioning, poor airflow management in case)

I'd be gutted if temps reached up to 69'c with an AIO cooler.
    Check out the Kraken Overclock.net thread, there occasionally is people popping up with bad temps like yours, usually one of those things listed above.

As im now on my 3rd water cooled GPU i have a pretty good idea of how they perform thank you very much, and ive never seen temps like you.

My card will plateau temperature wise at 46-50'c (depending on fan speed) running heaven/valley bench indefinately. And no i dont mean 10 minutes, I mean indefiantley.
    It was exactly the same with my old 980ti that I had the kraken g10 + h75 fitted also, although that peaked at around 52'c looping a banchmark.

I have just upgraded to x2 Noctua NF 120 PWM fans for my push-pull to replace the noisey Corsair ones.
    These fans can run 1500rpm 100% and not be audible over over case fans.
    Thus providing more cooling than the Corsair ones which became noisey at about 1200rpm.
    This has given me an extra 3-4'c off load temps now also :banana:

11. Danny_G13

Danny_G13 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Trio
    Did you get the 1080 one or the Ti edition?

12. Danny_G13

Danny_G13 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Trio
    What counts as good here?

Poor contact is obvious, poor thermal is subjective (I use Shin Etsu), what is poor radiator positioning? And my airflow has improved since I adjusted it a month ago.

13. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    Danny_G13
    1080Ti Sea Hawk X

14. pegasus1

pegasus1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 4090
    All depends on the case ambient which depends on room ambient. My OCed 1080Ti is hitting 50C in hard gaming because the current weather has my mancave at 10c warmer than normal. Dont be suprised if component temps rise in direct relation to room temps.

15. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    Ive used a Accelero Xtreme IV on my 1080 and it topped out at 64C at 2100MHz at full fan speed. Around 68-70C at 7v fan speed.

I had a Kraken G10 bracket and a Corsair H90 140mm AIO on it. I have an MSI GAMING GTX1080 this means that when you take off the stock heatsink the card still has the memory and VRM cooling applied as its separate from the main heatsink so no need for extra cooling.

With the Kraken bracket+H90 I was getting no higher than 60C at medium fan speed. I never tested at higher speeds, the amount of heat that came from the AIO though was extremely impressive. It was heating up my room.

Now I have an EKWB Predator 360mm AIO and I brought an EKWB GPU Block for my MSI 1080 and it came prefilled with quick disconnects to use with the Predator 360.

Now with this setup the GPU never exceeds 56C at full load, depending on game but never seen anything above 56C. Normally around 40C in 99% of the games I play.

The 360mm rad is having to cooler a 7700K and a 1080. The 1080 loves water as for the 7700K I have it back at stock clocks for the time being as temps are insanely high. It can spike to around 75C easily during gaming. Yes.. 75C on water. I have reseated the block and reapplied the paste numerous times. Nothing works, I honestly think I just have a really bad chip. It can do 5GHz but temps get to 95C after just 20 minutes of AIDA64.

I am going to delid the chip and apply some thermal grizzly and see if it can help with temps as this is not good. I dread to think what temps would be like with air cooling.

All this is with the fans on the predator at 30% speed at 30C - 45% speed at 50C - and 65% fan speed 80C. I dont go higher than 65% speed as noise gets pretty bad.

16. pegasus1

pegasus1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 4090
    My 2700k can hit over 70C in some games and thats with top notch custom water and a lapped IHS.Its even worse in this warm weather we are having :(

17. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    Lies! UK has no good weather! :p

18. pegasus1

pegasus1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 4090
    Ha ha ha ha, when i rolled out of Essex at 0500 this morning it was glorious :)

19. VMBeast

VMBeast Guest

GPU:
    ati radeo 6450 1gb ddr3
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2017
  20. tensai28

tensai28 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    rtx 4080 super
    Hey guys
    I'm loving the look of the new gigabyte Aorus waterforce coolers. This might be a long shot but is there any possible way to switch over to that on my aorus xtreme without obviously buying the whole card over again?