Functional 4-Way SLi PASCAL Titan X

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by venturi, Aug 21, 2016.

1. Graek

Graek Master Guru

GPU:
    Titan xp sli Titan x 1
    Wow that is some insane horsepower. It was interesting reading through all of this.

2. animeowns

animeowns Member

GPU:
    Titan
    hey venturi check your private messages still waiting on your email.

3. aomsin2526

aomsin2526 Guest

GPU:
    4x Titan XP
    Finally get quad sli and 2000w psu, work pretty well but i can't change any resolution or plug in or remove display cable. it's freeze everytime until force restart. Only happens when have display that anything more than 60hz and more than 2 way sli enabled. someone have this problem? this is annoying as ****

4. animeowns

animeowns Member

GPU:
    Titan
    freeze issue

not having that problem here which sli bridge are you using ? make sure its the evga pro v2 led 4 way bridge

5. XavierFR

XavierFR Guest

GPU:
    GTX Titan 6Gb
    For VENTURI … or if other people have the answers…

Hi,
    I have find your incredible new information about 4 way SLI performance with mother board permit true 4 SLI. Thank for it… because i find lot of performance with 1 CPU… with 4 SLI and 250% (maximum and in anyway) performance of 1 GPU.

Sorry for my english, i am french, i not understand all…and sorry for the few post, the system obligate me… i can not make Private Message…

For me, there are only 2 mother board permit full 4 way SLI, 1 with Asus with Xeon V1 and V2, and a second the Supermicro X10DRG-Q as like your for Xeon V3 and V4. Today i build with Asus but i will buy X10DRG-Q soon for next CPU generation.

I use 4 Titan 6Gb First generation because they not have limit, make double precision, full compatibility with professionnal software. For game it is nice, but for Video render and software computing by GPU, it is the best for no problem. All next GTX generation are not validate for After effect, or no permit 4 SLI, or have poor double precision, some CUDA function are deleted… compatibility problems… then, i keep and use only the first Titan 6Gb.

I am interresting to build true 4 way SLI with 2 Xeon 26xx. Today with E5-V1 and next time with E5-V3 or V4. The benchmark as like Octane render (possible Octane or other not use all the Bandwidth of PCIe but they make only stress) and Cinebench give performance between CPU and GPU, but not give the real performance in software. For example there are more than 90% of performance betwen E5-2697 V3 and E5-2687w V1, but 40% maximum in lot of render and other software. It is the why of a cheap solution with E5-V1 and later a more expensive with E5-V3 or E5-V4. but, some time, to unloock the hyper threading can help for performance ;)

for SLI bridge betwen GPU you give this council :
    - MSI 4-way v2 metal connector plug with side prongs - works well, no bridge warning message
    -EVGA 4-way v2 metal connector plug with side prongs - works well, no bridge warning message
    -(best performance - all 8 plugs connected in special pattern with modified ribbons (4 of them) with metal interconnected plugs, no warning message and best results. I came up with this because my motherboard has SLI cards in reverse and upside down order. I have to put my 4-way bridges on upside down for example).

you write:
    With EVGA bridge you obtain 350fps, and with your personnal bridge you obtain 390FPS. Then +11% more.
    What is yours details of 8 plugs connected in special pattern with modified ribbons (4 of them) ?
    Possible i will need to make with flex bridge for better cooling on GPU.
    I understand you have build it : you can craft a bridge that has higher bandwidth than any of them. And you write…
    needed: (4) 150mm or 160mm ribbon cables , and (2) evga v2 4-way bridges to destroy
    make 4 ribbons with mental connectors on each end.
    this gives 8 connections instead of 6 and it doubles the bandwidth to the primary card. (about a 2hour effort). Hook them up in the correct sequence

But how ? picture ? do you have the detail ? specific of Supermicro other board with first slot at the bottom ? you use this bridge for all (game and professional..) or depend of the software… ? do you think the perfromance of bandwidth come from more bigger diameter of electrical conductor ?

Thanks

6. XavierFR

XavierFR Guest

GPU:
    GTX Titan 6Gb
    For venturi …

Hi
    you write
    The scaling went from 124FPS to 430FPS as the gpu count rose at 4096x2160.
    Other factors that had to mitigated were the inclusion of V-synch and screen use percentage, and extended scaling such as running a game at 200% resolution (8k), frame caps/limits run at unlimited, turn off frame smoothing, all to make the cards work -otherwise they might all 4 gpus sit at 55% and so forth.

From i understand :
    Betwen 1, 2, 3, and 4 Sli you went from 124 FPS to 430 FPS performance. At the end you obtain 346% (=430/124) with 4 GPU and lose 54% from theorical 400% from 4 GPU.
    is it ?

But arround 4 sli – 15,6% (400/ 1.156= 346).
    Then, from 4 fake SLI (1 cpu) with 250% maximum theorical (220% in practice), by your true 4 SLI you obtain 346%... much better ***128521;… very interresting information.
    Thank a lot for it.

7. XavierFR

XavierFR Guest

GPU:
    GTX Titan 6Gb
    For venturi …
    Hi,
    Some software use CUDA core.
    Do you have make test, with medical imaging, VMs, nuc med, isotopes, or CUDA core for permit to know the performance with yours 1 , 2, 3 and 4 SLI ?
    Thanks

8. XavierFR

XavierFR Guest

GPU:
    GTX Titan 6Gb
    For venturi …
    Hi,
    you explaine:
    For make personnal bridge, you council to go to … Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section.

But what was yours reference post for all you have learn for make your bridge ?
    Thanks

9. XavierFR

XavierFR Guest

GPU:
    GTX Titan 6Gb
    For SRPlus
    Hi,
    I will use Titant 6Gb for video render and i looking for council about people making the same… and i am lucky here…

You write :
    I was also considering building a new super workstation with 4x Titan XP for GPU rendering, but will definitely be water cooled. GPU rendering puts the Cuda cores at a constant 100% load until the render complete so the GPU's get hot fast. Should cut my render times down to a third replacing my old Titans.

You means not had any problem with old Titan ?
    Or the problem was the last first Titan ?

My hadware :
    CPU Model
    Dual Intel Xeon E5-2687w
    Graphics Card:
    4x GTX Titan 6GB
    Motherboard:
    Asus Z9PE-D8 WS
    Ram:
    64GB
    Storage:
    Samsung 840 Pro 512GB
    Soundcard & Speakers:
    onboard, Gigaworks T40
    Power Supply
    SEasonics 750W + Corsaire AX1500i
    Case
    Phantom NZXT
    Operating System: OS
    Winodws 10 Pro x64
    Monitor
    sharp lc 60le840

10. XavierFR

XavierFR Guest

GPU:
    GTX Titan 6Gb
    For SRPlus…

Hi,
    You write :
    i will like to build a best performance render video with 4 Titan 6Gb SLI, this video card are the last model and best official list for After effect and have fully compability with all function as like V Ray Tracing.
    « I have a suspicion that once the yield rate has come down ».

i will like to know from 100% performance with 1 Titan and CUDA core for render , how many performance you obtain with 1, 2 , 3 and 4 SLI Titan?

I imagine near 400% with 4 SLI Titan?

Thanks

11. XavierFR

XavierFR Guest

GPU:
    GTX Titan 6Gb
  12. XavierFR

XavierFR Guest

GPU:
    GTX Titan 6Gb
    For SRPlus…

Hi,
    I think to use PSU Seasonics 750W for connect mother board, HDD and few other thing, and Corsaire AX1500i for 4 Titan (by PCIe 8 Pin and PCIe 6 Pin) on PCIex16 with Fan. I will like to know how you have making for use your 2 PSU and how you use it on Motherboard, Gpu, HDD...?

Thanks

13. XavierFR

XavierFR Guest

GPU:
    GTX Titan 6Gb
    For SRPlus…
    Hi,
    You write :
    I'm itching to buy 4x Titan Pascal, and upgrading to the Asus Z10PE-D8 WS with E5-2687wv4's or 2697A's, but my spider sense says wait...

From my information, Asus Z10PE-D8 not make PCIe x16 with 4 SLI. it is PCIe x8 by 4 SLI, possible there are 1 slot with x16 and the other are at x8.
    Asus Z10PE-D16 have only 3 way SLI…
    It need to take care to use Quad or GTX, all mother board not accept Quad and GTX, usualy it is Quad OR GTX .

From my information for 4 way SLI there are only the Supermicro X10DRG-Q for Xeon E5 26xx V3 or V4.
    Thanks

14. XavierFR

XavierFR Guest

GPU:
    GTX Titan 6Gb
    For SRPlus…
    Hi,

How you make synchronisation between yours 2 PSU for wake up?

Thanks

15. venturi

venturi Master Guru

GPU:
    2x 4090 FE RTX
    In response to the questions:

For enablint the 4 and 3 way sli, you will have to contact me and respect I will not post info on front page, but will gladly do so off line.

The process to get 3 and 4 way working without micro stutter and good scaling is a combination of factors:
    1. You must have a mobo that can support all the lanes AND deliver to some serious processing power, if you want the scaling

2. You need to have a mobo that can devide the lanes up to separate cores, most mobos can handle multicore cpu's but that's different than lane allocation

3. You need to understand compatibility bits, period

4. This is not absolute but you'll need at least a v2 bridge.

4.a if you plan on doing 4 way sli, you CAN use the standard v2 bridge, however, if you observe the 4 way sli bridges you'll notice that, the main card only gets 1 connection, the pattern is 1,2,1,2. In order to get the bandwidth on 4-way, you need a 2,2,2,2 config
    4.b it's not enough to make the ribbon bridges with v2 connectors, there are some resistors that must connect to certain pins to enable the driver to get rid of the high bandwidth warning, and get the last bit of scaling.

5. OS, bios -tweaks. You must have a real understanding of the OS, windows in this case. There are registry settings that can make a world of difference. There confit and setup requirements that can also give you a substantial increase in results and stability. I'll answer this again. windows 10 is the slowest os for me and provides the least amount of benefits and control. My personal choice in order are win server 2012r2, windows 7 64, ubuntu 17.04, ubuntu 16, windows 8.1 64 and windows xp 64/ seven 2003 64. I've tried repeatedly server 16 and find it highly unstable and unreliable and slower than 2012r2, 7-64, 8.1- 64, and so forth.

My attempts with win 10 and srv 2016 have shown a product unfit for my needs and work. Quad SLI takes a drop in performance despite all my efforts on win 10.

I'm currently running 4-way 70-95% scaling on about 60 titles, including some u4 titles, OpenGL, dx10 and 11
    Running about 50-60 scaling on about 30 titles some more difficult engines, no matter what I try, such as unity.

Then , warning, no matter what magic I try, some titles show only margina; improvement.

So in my collection about half the titles are in group 1, the rest remain a constant hobby to tweak.

Recently, I've made some headway on some stubborn engines by working in SFR, when all hope was abandoned on AFR and AFR2

HOPE THAT HELPS,

again, I can't openly post the changes you need to make in inspector ---> or the marketing engine of nvidia will kill it in a driver release.

Last edited: May 28, 2017

16. venturi

venturi Master Guru

GPU:
    2x 4090 FE RTX
    Yes sir
    In both nuclear / isotope and medical imaging, on two applications, cuda was necessary to achieve the desired result.

That was an early adoption for me about 5 years ago and have progressed ever since. I have posted in the cuda developer forum and exchanged a lot if information.

17. AntonP

AntonP Guest

GPU:
    4x GTX1080
    Venturi, i have not got enough posts to send you PM.
    Please, could you PM me how to make 2-2-2-2 (HB 4-way) bridge from EVGA V2 4-way bridge and EVGA HB 20mm bridges?

18. XavierFR

XavierFR Guest

GPU:
    GTX Titan 6Gb
    Hi,
    thank very much venturi for your answer.
    I am very happy to obtain answer :bounce:
    In first, i will like a lot to contact you by private message, but the system not permit me :bang: because i not have make enough post… But it miss few post for the system permit me to write you … i try to solve it…:)

-For answer, Let's me to know if i make a understand mistake :
    1. You must have a mobo that can support all the lanes AND deliver to some serious processing power, if you want the scaling
    2. You need to have a mobo that can devide the lanes up to separate cores, most mobos can handle multicore cpu's but that's different than lane allocation

Today i have 2 projets, 1 cheap and 1 high power but with the most application. It means, hight CPU frequency first, and maximum of core second.
    My 2 projets are with Asus Z9PE-D8 WS with dual Xeon E5-2687W V1 and SuperMicro X10DRG-Q with dual Xeon E5-2697 V3. The video card will be 4 way SLI with First Titan generation, Air or water cooling (because some cards have poor cooling).
    I have seen the Logigram for the 2 motherboards.It is permit true 4 way SLI x16Pcie.
    -From ASUS Z9PE-D8 WS :
    https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Z9PED8_WS/HelpDesk_Manual/
    PDF file at # 225 « A.1 Z9PE-D8 WS lock diagram » :
    http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb...99.795812280.1496734718-1065418910.1496734718
    For Asus, there are only Switch for divide or not the x16Pcie.
    -From SuperMicro X10DRG-Q :
    http://www.supermicro.com/products/motherboard/xeon/c600/x10drg-q.cfm
    PDF file at # 18 « System Block Diagram »:
    http://www.supermicro.com/manuals/motherboard/C612/MNL-1677.pdf
    For Supermicro there are not Switch for divide x16Pcie.

I have find only this 2 motherboards permit true 4 way SLI With Dual Xeon.
    I think, for Asus in Bios, to need to unactivate some Gbe Lan for to be sure to save 3 PCI-a x1 lanes free and save some Bandwidth.
    But SuperMicro X10DRG-Q will need sound card

My only one problem with this 2 projects. the project with E5-2697 V3 will give only +40% performance every time, and some time +90%.

I think the 2 motherboard and CPU solve the 1 and 2 points.

Thanks

19. XavierFR

XavierFR Guest

GPU:
    GTX Titan 6Gb
  20. XavierFR

XavierFR Guest

GPU:
    GTX Titan 6Gb
    4. This is not absolute but you'll need at least a v2 bridge.

I have buy EVGA V2 bridge 4 way SLI for Asus. But, Supermicro will need a other because the first slot are at the bottom ?
    Else, it will be EVGA V2 bridge 4 way SLI.