Need an advise According to Pc specs W7 to XP

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by Deleted member 268800, Apr 23, 2017.

1. Planning to do a dowgrade to this pc specs, because of performance

PC SPECS
    Amd Athlon x64 dual core processor 2.21 ghz
    Motherboard: ALIVENF6-VSTA
    RAM: 1 GB dual channel 512 mb.
    Current OS: Windows 7 ultimate, lite blue edition

I was wondering if I changes to Windows XP, does this pc will get better performance? i'm facing some performance issues, and i was wondering if i get Windows xp, this pc will perform a little be better? if so, what xp version should i Use? help !

2. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Windows 2000 has less bloat than XP.

3. lexer98

lexer98 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1070 - WC
    For W7> you need at least 3-4GB to perform well. Windows XP with 1Gb is okey but 2GB is recommended.
    The ALIVENF6-VSTA have a decent O.C potencial, you can overclock at least 400Mhz and even more if you do a vcore mod to 1.55v :)

4. Sir Lexer98, has been a while bro, may i talk to you in spanish? if so i will highly appreciate

La verdad es que mira, la pc se siente horrible, no se si es el disco duro, o es que esa tarjeta madre con el 1giga de ram sin tarjeta de video, no va de la mano con ese windows 7, pq a pesar que tenga consumo de 20% ram, o 20% cpu, se siente como (tartamudeo, stuttering) y a pesar que cristal disk me muestra un sector algo feo, el utility de la Western Digital, me pasa las 2 pruebas bien, la extensa y la rapida, y he hecho test de ram y CHKDSK en disco y todo bien, hasta zeroing, el famoso wipe q borra todo, por lo que llegue a la conclusion que a lo mejor si es el window 7 q esta mal con este pc specs, Pero me interesaria bro saber como overclockear, sin joder esta PC

Crees que me puedes ayudar? si te digo bien que fuente poder tengo, aunque se que es una de 450 watts generica, y 1 giga de ram, ddr2, y creo q es dual channel, y ese processador amd ahtlon 64 x2 dual core de 2.21 ghz

Y por otro lado que Tipo de XP? usar? el sp1, sp2, sp3? ahora y que hay un sp4

Aparte mi otra pc se murio :( los socket de la motherboard los pines se levantaron muy feamente, y quise enderezarlo y que va, por eso tengo otro post pidiendo ayuda,de que les parece si compro tal pc
    http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=414065
    Thanks lexer.

5. radosuaf

radosuaf Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASRock 6800 XT 16GB
    Haven't you considered Linux? You won't be playing games with those specs anyway - the rest you will get out of the box. Lubuntu maybe?

We have done many tests and we've found out that Lubuntu can be installed on a Pentium II or Celeron system with 128 MB of RAM, but such a system would not perform well enough for daily use.

With 256MB - 384MB of RAM, the performance will be better and the system will be more usable.

With 512MB of RAM, you don't need to worry much.

http://lubuntu.net/

Last edited: Apr 25, 2017
  6. lexer98

lexer98 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1070 - WC
    @x58haze Just to respect other users lets keep it in english :). 1GB of RAM is the bare minimum for Windows 7 and we you open a few programs the system start using virtual RAM and since you have a hard drive half dead, can make your system perform even worse.
    @radosuaf THIS ! Linux works pretty well on old PC. I had a netbook Atom Single Core HT (355 i think) with Debian and a custom kernel optimized for Atom architecture ..... i can't believe how fast was that turd.

7. The thing is, this pc was mean to print and web-browsing, and for that reason, Linux is not a choice, because this pc has a Print from 1990 which is discontinued, and there only drivers for windows 98, 2000, XP, but i have to get some NTPRINTS.INF among others files from Xp2 to make it work in Windows 7, and to be honest, doing that on Linux, won't be possible. =s

But anyway guys thank you for your help.

8. lexer98

lexer98 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1070 - WC
    The print driver of Linux in this years made great progress and is compatible with lots of printers. Check herehttp://www.openprinting.org/printers

9. lexer98

lexer98 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1070 - WC

10. And what linux would you recommend me? with a happy gui interface close to Windows? also that has a good speed, and compatibility with both of my prints?

I saw the list for F300 series:
    Ubutun, Linux Mint, I never had before use Linux OP, just for high school and was a short course

also on Deskjet 850c
    http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web/models/deskjet/deskjet_850c.html
    And what I dindn't getting is the color calibration, does that mean, that i cannot select how is printed a document?
    Like for example , i want to print in Black Color instead of COLOR, or i want to save some ink by using (DRAFT) like in Windows

example of windows print options:
    [​IMG]

11. lexer98

lexer98 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1070 - WC
    Yes printer drivers on linux has his limitation, color calibration i think is referring about the calibration of the printer, not the quality.

12. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    unless your not connecting xp to internet I wouldnt do that

13. AMDK6

AMDK6 Guest

GPU:
    32MB
    I'm connected on the internet with XP since 2001. No problems here. Just use Firefox instead of Internet Explorer if you want to avoid most of the malware infections. Aside from that IE doesn't function properly on modern websites any more so it's harder to get infected even if you tried. Most pages just won't load properly anymore. I guess you can call that a positive side effect of age.

14. AMDK6

AMDK6 Guest

GPU:
    32MB
    First your MB specs show you can upgrade to 16GB DDR2, 4GB DDR2 x 4.

Dual Channel DDR2 memory technology
    - 4 x DDR2 DIMM slots
    - Supports DDR2 1066*/800/667/533 non-ECC, un-buffered memory
    - Max. capacity of system memory: 16GB**

Second will XP be faster than Windows 7 with 1GB installed yes.

XP can run fine with 1GB but I would recommend 2GB minimum to reduce paging lag. It can handle 3.2GB normally without the 128GB memory patch. If you want to do a cheap upgrade get a single 4GB DDR2 would be enough for XP. If you go to 16GB I'd make a large Ramdrive or use the 128GB memory patch.

If I were you I'd just grab some cheap 4GB DDR2 x 4 sticks off eBay. But if you have no specific XP programs you want to run I'd stick with Windows 7. But XP will run faster than Windows 7 for the most part. 16GB would help Windows 7 a lot though. Around 8GB it starts feeling better. I wouldn't run Windows 7 with less than 8GB as it's quite memory hungry.

15. AMDK6

AMDK6 Guest

GPU:
    32MB
    That's true Windows 2000 runs faster than XP. Memory recommendation would be about 1GB to run fine. 2GB would be plenty. But it can use up to 3.2GB.

16. aka2k

aka2k Member Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 8800 GS
    Nonsense, I had an Athlon XP 2200 + 512mb Ram back in 2004 and it was great enough to edit movies in Adobe Premiere Pro and do some heavy gaming (for the time). XP rocked with the setup I had back there.

Your config should be great for Windows XP or 2000. Especially if you want to run basic stuff. I guess we all lost the touch with the reality of back in 2005. 1Gb was a lot of memory back in those days.

17. Amaze

Amaze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4070 ti TUF
    Make sure all your hardware has drivers for whatever OS you end up picking.

18. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    The guy seems to be on ryzen + win10 now...

Would be funny to install xp though lol.

19. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    Since XP dont get updates anymore my statement stands I would not do it unless it not connect to internet.