Guru3D Folding@Home Information/Help Thread {Start Here New Users}

Discussion in 'Folding@Home - Join Team Guru3D !' started by aircool, Aug 12, 2007.

1. Psychlone

Psychlone Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD5970 Engineering
    Didn't work. For some reason, whenever I enable a GPU core (or cores), then my total PPD drops significantly.
    I've set the SMP to 6 instead of -1 and that didn't help, so I'm going to try one last thing before writing off the GPU client... I'm going to set the SMP to 4 and try enabling a single GPU core (GPU0) just for a day to see.

Before I started playing with GPU cores, I had my most productive day ever @ 33,711 ... and that was JUST running the SMP on my rig with no other clients. Since then, I've been hovering in the 20,000 +- range. The only, and I mean ONLY thing that I can attribute it to is the GPU client. It's apparently just not primed for AMD's dual GPU - at least not the 5970 Engineering Sample that I'm running.

Anyway, off to set SMP to 4 and run 1 GPU client and see if I can crank out more total PPD daily...

Psychlone

2. Athlonite

Athlonite Maha Guru

GPU:
    Pulse RX5700 8GB
    Hey Psychlone what sort of gpu load are you getting on your GPU slot mine for some reason are sitting on 41~43% and wont go higher last time I folded on these (5770's) cards the GPU clients all maxed out at 99% workload....

and makes no difference if I pause or unpause the SMP slot it still oscillates between 41~43%

temps are fine nothing out of the ordinary top cards temp is 51c and 56c for the bottom card so well within the limit for these GPU's

Last edited: Jan 29, 2013
  3. Athlonite

Athlonite Maha Guru

GPU:
    Pulse RX5700 8GB
    BETA Core_17 on AMD GPU's

seems after setting the client-type = beta in the client options I am now getting 99% GPU load on WU 7662 (24, 22, 1) with an est PPD of 16804 sweet news for ATI folders

[​IMG]

and even better news the CPU usage for folding on an AMD/ATI GPU has gone down significantly, it used to average (for me at any rate) around 35~42% CPU usage for a single GPU slot now it's down to 7~10%

Last edited: Mar 11, 2013
  4. iancook221188

iancook221188 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 670 SLI / GTX 460 SLI
    the funny thing Athlonite is the problems you were having with the AMD client are now happening to the nvidia client

5. Athlonite

Athlonite Maha Guru

GPU:
    Pulse RX5700 8GB
    well all I can say is turn around is fair play nVidia have had it there way for so long now it's not funny

personally though I tend to think evenly matched NV and AMD cards should always pull roughly the same PPD when using F@H as its mostly OpenCL doing the same work just a slightly different GPU architecture

6. PantherX

PantherX Folding@Home Team Leader

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti
    It is possible that with better/improved drivers, the Nvidia GPUs Usage may drop. However, it is anyone's guess as to when that will happen.

7. PantherX

PantherX Folding@Home Team Leader

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti
    The issue is that both comparable GPUs may not have the same OpenCL version which may make all the difference. AMD is currently ahead of Nvidia in terms of the latest OpenCL version. Let's hope that both vendors will get their OpenCL optimized so everybody benefits.

BTW, in theory, FahCore_17 can run on any supported OpenCL platform including CPUs, iGPUs, Xenon Phi, etc. Hopefully, that will be the future which would be awesome!

8. iancook221188

GPU:
    yep let hope Nvidia update there driver (we can dream) with better OpenCL support when this is out of beta or more stable we need to let people know there must be lots of amd card out there

9. Booyaah

Booyaah Guest

GPU:
    2x EVGA GTX 970 FTW 4 GB
    lol I gotta admit when I saw this forum, I didn't know what folding was. I thought it was a spinoff of curling :)

10. iancook221188

GPU:
    haha fair enough, have you been enlightened yet?

11. DeskStar

DeskStar Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 3080Ti/3090FTW
    Well I just stepped into the folding universe on PC for the first time..... I used to do it on my PS3 all the time back in the day.

As it sits I am looking at 964611 points per day as it has projected for me. I would like to know if this is any good? Everything is running CPU at 100% and all four GFX cards anywhere from 65-99% utilization. Temps are of no concern as the cards are no hotter than 34-35c and CPU's hottest core is 62c.

I would like to know if I'm wasting my time on getting some good folding in in a short period of time...... I will try to leave my rig on for a week and see what happens!!

"I'm very excite!!"

12. iancook221188

GPU:
    well you'll be top of the team in terms of production per day that an amazing amount

13. DeskStar

DeskStar Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 3080Ti/3090FTW
    Very glad to hear that.... I just figured that I never have enough time to get on here and do what I want to do lately, so what better than to lend a helping hand toward a great cause.

Is there anything I should be doing differently regarding my setup? I have been running the Folding@home Client Control 7.4.4.

I have instances 0-4 running. The CPU being 0 and the four GPU's 1-4 are all being taxed to 99-100%, so I assume things are going along smoothly......

All of my temps are within reason. Hottest GPU has hit 37c and the max on my CPU core is 68c.

14. iancook221188

GPU:
    so like most are running ok.
    that a good gpu temp i would say a bit low are they under water?

15. krusher_r

krusher_r Member

Hi all; looks like this thread is getting older now but still running.

Just some info here to update iancook's original thread; I wonder what he is running for machines to be on top...congrats iancook.

I pretty much knew how to set this up already running on a Win 7 PC and my old GTX580 did work, but it's not too efficient nowadays and puts out a lot of heat. I'm waiting for Pascal for my main PC upgrade.

I had a file server here that I had planned to stick a video card in someday and use it as a media center PC, but didn't have a video card and didn't want to spend much. Then something I did not expect happened. I was the guy who won the Guru3D MSI GTX960 gaming GPU. So, it took me a bit of time to change the hardware around but I ended up installing Linux Mint 17.3 and the F@H Client+Control on the "new" PC.

iancook's original guide says that GPUs are only supported under Windows, but I can confirm that it works fine under Linux. In fact, what I did was to setup the remote access feature on the Linux PC and I use the viewer on my Windows 7 PC. So, as the Linux PC keeps chugging along I keep my regular PC free for other things. It's only a dual core CPU on the file server, but F@H uses one core and that leaves the other core for serving files. I wonder if GPU support on Linux is new however, when I click on the project ID, even their web site says "These are Core18 projects for Windows+NVIDIA only." Well, that's no longer true.

Eventually, come Spring, when the temps heat up outside (and in the house) I'll move the file server into the living room for use as a media center as well. When that happens, I'll likely shut down F@H for the Summer but once the heat goes back on I can resume the project.

It turns out that the 960 is pretty efficient for F@H projects and doesn't use a lot of power. When I checked the "control panel" info, I was running about 61-63C and the fans were a bit over 33%. What works good for gaming also works good for F@H apparently; the 960 and 980 are both highly rated. P.S. A quick edit: Close to 120k PPD. My old GTX580 is ~2.5X slower and uses double the power.

So, thanks again Guru3D and MSI.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2016

16. krusher_r

krusher_r Member

About 6 hours ago it looks like I rec'd my first Core 21 project; I wasn't sure if this PC would run Core 21 as so far it's been all Core 18's. But, it appears to be worth a little more points or that "QRB" feature has kicked in; up to ~136k PPD now.

EDIT: I think the QRB has started for real now; I'm running pretty much around 160k PPD no matter which core version I'm running (which is 18 most of the time).

Last edited: Feb 10, 2016
  17. krusher_r

krusher_r Member

Congrats to all!

I'm not sure when this happened, but we passed up the Rage3D team at some point between my last message and this one. I know the results of our efforts mean "we all win" no matter who is first, but now we're one place up.

I'm also getting close to the 10,000,000 mark and will give an update once I get there...should be 2-3 days yet.

18. iancook221188

GPU:
    hello krusher_r yep 47th will be goo to see on folding Star when you do:)

19. krusher_r

krusher_r Member

Hi iancook,

It looks like I made my goal of 10 million points and ended up in 44th place after running for 78 days straight. I'm trying to print off a 10 million point certificate for myself but F@H is putting me just under that; I may have to try tomorrow or let it run once more.

For now, I'm on idle for the Summer months here to give my little file server and fanless PSU a break from the heat. And, maybe use that GPU for some games.

Keep up the crunching while I take a break everyone :) and if there are no other replies here I'll check back again in late Fall when the heat goes back on.

20. ra_alfaomega

ra_alfaomega Member Guru

GPU:
    Gtx1070 MSI Gaming X