Sony PS4 Thread - Part 2

Discussion in 'Consoles & console games' started by PhazeDelta1, Dec 7, 2014.

1. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080, KD55XD800
    Pretty sure they ditched 7200rpm SSHDD's a while ago though.

2. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    I got that 1tb Seagate sshdd for like £65 ages ago.

3. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    I don't think Seagate is manufacturing the Momentus XT anymore. That was the 7200rpm SSHDD but it only went up to 750GB. The only laptop SSHDD I could find from them what the 1Tb model which I have in my PS4. I believe that is 5400 rpm.

4. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    What is worth it to one person is not worth it to another. I have used SSHDD and to me i see very little difference between them and HDD so yes to me it. not worth it

5. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    The difference is indeed negligible. For me, at the time of buying, the SSHDD was only a few £ more than a regular HDD so it was as no brainer. Yes, you only gain a second here and there but still, it's far from bad value I'm sure you'll agree.

Saying that, I'll probably just end up getting a 2TB or larger drive further down the road.

6. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    like said it debatable. to me few seconds quicker is not a better option when i can get a drive with more space for the same price almost identical speeds. special when it come to ps3/ps4 seeing ps3 (sata I) will never see the full speed of SSHDD let alone a SSD just like ps4 (sata II) will never see the full speed of SSHDD especially SSD, most the benefit either console will see will come from the none existent access time of SSD and SSHDD(from only cached files)by comparison to HDD.

IF it 1tb is same price HDD vs SSHDD then sure it worth but more times then that they are not. HDD prices have been all over the place since the "flood" that they now use as accuse to make hdd more expensive.

I not knocking them as i love my SSD but there not priced sensible enough for 500+ gb drive to be worth less you got money coming out of ears.

And like said SSHDD are only worth there price extra if the drive is using the cached data, and the size of the cache on these drives are still way to small imo.

Its all in the eyes of the beholder.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2015
  7. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Contradicting yourself a little bit here, right?

Anyway... Currently you can get a 1TB Seagate SSHDD for around £75 or a 2TB HDD for around £90. Not quite the same price, is it? Yeah, I would probably just get the 2TB HDD if I was buying now. But the prices fluctuate, like you said. I paid £5 premium to get the SSHDD over the HDD last year. Prices change, markets are different. It all depends on timing and location, really. Then it comes down to value for money.

And right now, a 2TB HDD is better value than a 1TB SSHDD. In the UK that is. Currently. This might not be everyone's scenario right now. Or in the future.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2015
  8. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    it not contradicting anything, HDD price have been more expensive since the flood, And more time then not SSHDD and HDD of the same size are not the same price, there the cost difference is not worth for measly few seconds...

maybe to you it contradicting i dont know how your brain works

9. ElementalDragon

ElementalDragon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVidia RTX 4090 FE
    Weird to say the cache on the SSHDD's is way too small.... considering they generally have an 8GB cache, whereas a standard HDD usually has what.... 64MB of cache?

10. DerSchniffles

DerSchniffles Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080Ti
    When my rig took a dump, I threw my 240gb SSD in the ps4 just for kicks. It loaded quite a bit faster, but nothing I would spend alot of money on just to have a 1tb ssd or anything. A 7200 rpm would be much more logical imo. I still cant believe Sony and Microsoft still went with 5400 rpm drives. I know when I swapped out my ps3's drive for a 750gb 7200 rpm hd, games loaded a bit faster, but games that streamed textures were WAY faster and didnt have the streaming pop in problems (ie-rage, dust514, etc.).

11. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    http://www.dualshockers.com/2015/01...available-offers-all-you-can-play-for-7-days/

12. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
  13. jonerkinsella

jonerkinsella Guest

GPU:
    rx480
    Dying light is a lot better than I thought it was going to be.

14. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    How does the framerate hold up?

15. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080, KD55XD800

16. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    Does it actually look, "next-gen"? I was worried about dying light since it originally had xbox 360/ps3 in mind, those versions got canned toward the end of development, but that told me it was probably a last gen game with a few tweaks and 1080p?

17. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080, KD55XD800
    I think it was more a current gen game that they were attempting to port back to the 360/ps3, like shadow of mordor (and look how terribly that turned out)

18. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 on Laptop
    i have Dying Light on PS4 and i must say it looks superb. it plays flawless. no fps drops. Highly Recommended

19. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    It is good to hear that Dying Light has turned out well. Just think of what Destiny could or should have been like if they had canned the last gen versions....

20. ElementalDragon

ElementalDragon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVidia RTX 4090 FE
    Yea.... but there's a difference. I'm pretty sure Destiny was originally a PS3/360 game. ESPECIALLY since it was basically announced LONG before there was even word of a PS4/XBone on the horizon. Hell, i pre-ordered it within the first week that it was possible to (Even got a pretty smexy huge a** double-sided poster, too) for PS3.