Windows: Line-Based vs. Message Signaled-Based Interrupts. MSI tool.

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by mbk1969, May 7, 2013.

1. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    And NIC resisted to switch?

2. pjokerxp

pjokerxp Banned

GPU:
    Palit GeForce GTX 680 2GB
    if you mean by NIC the network card or the LAN ... it did switch

the only one that didnt switch is the USB hubs

3. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    only USB3 hubs switched in my experience... and that is no good because USB and NIC (and SATA) are sources if mass interrupts, afaik

Last edited: Dec 20, 2013
  4. Solace50

Solace50 Member Guru

GPU:
    Palit 560 ti 2gb SLI
    is there anyone that's actually proven some form of statistical gains off enabling this feature. as of now i can not see any noticeable differences between stock and this for the soundcard/video card. theres also a blank string value under the NIC card which is enabled by default "0x00000010" except it contains no value to the name.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2013

5. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    There is. My work rig gained very noticeably in terms of smoothness and snappiness. This rig is old (~10 years) and weak. Also it has unusual little size motherboard.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2013
  6. Solace50

Solace50 Member Guru

GPU:
    Palit 560 ti 2gb SLI
    i understand on older rigs from your opinion that there are noticeable gains. but the question was is there any way to quantify the statistical gains via some benchmark. mainly my question and curiosity lays around at what point is this minor tweak has its drop off point.

7. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Latencymon?
    The target of MSI-mode tweak is interrupt stage of device <-> OS interaction. The only thing which can be improved is ISR execution time.

8. drbaltazar

drbaltazar Guest

GPU:
    amd 7950 3gb
    average user shouldn't notice a big difference ,but gamer ********* on twitch will notice a big difference ,if they aren't defaulted to proper value ,if you did like swifty and baught a server version ,everything should be properly set out of the box ! ms recommend 1 interrupt per cpu core for desktop ,and one ,msi per cpu socket for battery saver (laptop tablet etc)most corp selling part for regular desktop don't bother they just ignore this ,when this isn't set windows default to one per cpu socket (msi)

9. shadow_craft

shadow_craft Guest

GPU:
    ASUS StiX OC 1070
    Thank you so much for sharing this info, even on my newer rig I noticed an improvement for overall response-time for my pc, especially gaming.

I could not change the SMBUS, or my USB (but I believe that is because I am running in Legacy mod for compatibility)

Before the change only my video card (AMD), Sata (Intel) and Lan (realtek) were enabled with latest drivers.

http://snag.gy/93fVz.jpg

10. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3090 FE
    Ofc, since USB 1 and 2 continuesly polls for data. USB 3.0 seems to not do this and only polls when needed.

EDIT:
    Yep, http://www.everythingusb.com/superspeed-usb.html#improvements

Look for "Continuous device polling is eliminated".

Last edited: Feb 6, 2014

11. mootyful

mootyful Member

GPU:
    GTX 760 Gigabyte
    This lowered my dpc latency about 10. I have a forced HPET mobo and I get 34 on average. I now have a solid 24, I think this was mainly due to just nvidia. Any chance you can set this in bulk operation? I know you said it's unwise in the other thread, but I did every pci and I haven't had any BSOD. It just gets ignored if it can't do msi, this would be handy trying out on different computers instead of doing it manually each time.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2014
  12. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    I can write .Net application or PowerShell script.

13. mootyful

mootyful Member

GPU:
    GTX 760 Gigabyte
    PowerShell script would be great, would love to see what my other rig gets. I get 20 dpc latency on it, but I think because I have ATI and it's set to MSI mode already. I have to check.

14. drbaltazar

drbaltazar Guest

GPU:
    amd 7950 3gb
    Is there a way to make USB 1 and 2 behave like USB 3 (corrupt?)at least now I know why USB 1 and usb2 are so slow .polling ! I show uld have known .I wonder how much of our gaming experience is affected ?are there USB 3 headset ? Hopefully you know a fix?

15. drbaltazar

drbaltazar Guest

GPU:
    amd 7950 3gb
    I'm willing to risk it ,since me an kernel can't really see eye best second option is to bulk it ,can you make one so its set for a 4 core CPU or just make a template and say what to change for #of core in said powershell .there is a lot of ways to do MSI or msix but ms is very vague .I don't get why they don't plain supply a power she'll and say what value to change

16. drbaltazar

drbaltazar Guest

GPU:
    amd 7950 3gb
    By the way guys only physical core count (sorry hyperthreading)so for vast majority it's 4 core (yep even the AMD 8 are 4 core .only the old old 6 core had 6 physical core

17. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070

Today I will start to implement script. You can tell me about wanted features. I want to do such ones:
    - listing devices with mark whether MSI-mode off or on
    - creation of reg-file for backup purposes
    - turning off MSI-mode for all devices
    - turning on MSI-mode for all devices (main feature)

If should not be that complex/hard to implement, but I always start new project slowly. If you want script with main feature only, tell me.

18. mootyful

mootyful Member

GPU:
    GTX 760 Gigabyte
    Looking forward to it, and thanks.

19. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    All features except creation of reg-file for backup are ready. ETA is sunday night.

20. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    I will give this try once that is done, I dont like messing wiht regisrty, out side of something I actual know

As of now onlything that in MSI is my nic/intel sata