Essence ST+H6, Creative ZXR, or Essence STX ?

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by Jayman88, Nov 25, 2013.

1. Tacoboy

Tacoboy Guest

GPU:
    AMD 7800
    Can't see a good enough reason for you to switch over to new A/V receiver for using HDMI.
    You current amplifier (Vincent) appears to be about 8 years old, but good.
    I think you would have to spend a lot of cash on a A/V receiver to match or improve on the amplifiers.
    And the Sound Blaster ZxR comes with three really nice DAC chips.
    So the only thing I think you should do is just get the ZxR and run 5.1 analog to the RCA inputs on the Vincent.
    And not use the rear center channel, as I'm sure modern movies are not designed to work with 6.1 audio.

2. Jayman88

Jayman88 Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia 560Ti
    Tacoboy, yes I am satisfied with my amp for the moment and don't really want to upgrade unless I need to. Based on what Ragdoll is saying, I can with the Essence ST, actually decode and output 6.1 properly by adjusting my settings in MPC...that is definitely tempting and doesn't require me to buy a new amp.

What I don't truly know from experience is the actual difference between 5.1, 6.1, and 7.1 when watching native 6.1 or 7.1 movies(not up-mixed). From what I have read online 7.1 is a noticeable improvement over 5.1, and since 7.1 is essentially just an upgrade to 6.1 I am making the assumption that 6.1 would also be a noticeable improvement over 5.1.

Are the two rear channels on 7.1 just a doubling of the rear center, or do they actually have uniquely significant data?

Does anyone have experience or knowledge of these three formats and how they compare? This will have a big impact on whether i settle for 5.1 via the ZxR or Essence STX using the spdif, or if I go for the ST with analog outs....OR even an HDMI option (which would require buying a new amp).

3. Tacoboy

Tacoboy Guest

GPU:
    AMD 7800
    My personal opinion is the rear center channel is no longer supported in modern disks, the rear channels are separate right and left channels, if you make one of those the rear center channel, you completely lose the other channel.
    Get the Essence ST with the H6, you can try you 6.1, then I would assume you find it really does not help and you just end up setting the Essence ST for 5.1

Also for up to $150, you can replace the 12 op-amps (operational amplifiers) in the ST & H6.

4. Jayman88

Jayman88 Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia 560Ti
    Interesting update. I have found a way to borrow an Asus ST with the H6 board this weekend from the local vendor who has 1 pre-opened! I am going to try out the 6.1 and see if it is indeed worth it.

Ragdoll, a few questions for you about the setup. The ST doesn't have a center out, it has a Left Rear & Right Rear. My amp has a Rear Center input only:

1. You have put a 1 under the rear center channel for the center, left, and right. Should I therefore still leave a 1 under the normal L&R rear boxes or zero them out?

2. How would you connect the rca's from the card to the amp using the MPC configuration you are suggesting?

3. Since I have no center out from the ST, would it make sense to designate one of the LR or RR to carry the signal out instead of the Rear Center? In other words, put 3 one's under either the L or R rear? I am somewhat unclear what the adjustments on the MPC/ffdshow matrix is adjusting...just the output or also the processing.

4. I wonder if it would work if I just leave the matrix as normal and then use an adapter to combine the two L&R rca's into one male and plug it into the center input on the amp. Any thoughts?

This should be fun!

Thanks!

5. RagDoll_Effect

RagDoll_Effect Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x nvidia GTX 560 SLI
    You could just connect 1 rear to the center channel on the amp, because if you route 2 input channels to one, the amplification will be doubled. This might cause the amp to overheat. Just connect the left channel of the rca to the center on the amp. MPC will then essentially reroute the left and right to the center I'm pretty sure :)

regards
    ,RagDoll.

6. RagDoll_Effect

GPU:
    2x nvidia GTX 560 SLI
  7. RagDoll_Effect

GPU:
    2x nvidia GTX 560 SLI
    Just tested this and reroutes to left channel :) So, this matrix and plug only left channel to center on your amp and it will work :)

[​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

8. Jayman88

Jayman88 Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia 560Ti
    Ragdoll, great and thanks! I will try this configuration and see what happens. Will report back when I have tried it:)