All about TEC and peltier effect

Discussion in 'Links' started by Kain, Mar 22, 2006.

1. Kain

Kain Ancient Guru

ONLY????
    You may have a lot of money.

2. bellringr

bellringr Member Guru

GPU:
    BFG 7900GS OC @ 599core 799 mem
    great post Kain

I had cosidered a pieltier cooler like the one you listed and did "some" research. I opted not to use it mainly because I didn't understand all of the problems it could have. It's great to see someone take the time to explain it, Thanks man. I still won't use it lol, but it cool to know how they work. Kudo's

3. Kain

Kain Ancient Guru

I will probably use one of them and make some experiments in some months.

First of all, I need to get rid of all problems, specially condensation.

Anyway, Now, I own a 400 watts heatcore (radiator) so, heat shouldnt be the most difficult part.

Anyway, condensation is the tricky part of peltier effect.

4. bellringr

bellringr Member Guru

GPU:
    Is there any way to limit condensation on the cooler? I know it's imposible to totally get rid of it, but maybe a good way to cotrol it?

5. Kain

Kain Ancient Guru

6. bellringr

bellringr Member Guru

GPU:
    I brainstormed a bit last night and after calling a good friend of mine, I might have a good option for controlling moisture inside of a PC case. It isn't perfect but might be a really good option for reducing humidity that is drawn into the case. If you are interested I will post it.
    BTW, thanks for the links, i didn't know that many companies were exploring this type of cooling. Those coolers actually might be an option for me. I will probably try it on an old computer first but they work, why not
    Thanks again, let me know if you want to know about my idea?

7. Satan

Satan Guest

GPU:
    some
    Sure, go ahead.

8. Kain

Kain Ancient Guru

Of course.
    Thats why this thread was made.
    Go-on.

9. bellringr

bellringr Member Guru

GPU:
    Ok well. I had origanaly thought of a heater dryer sytem, like what you find in a cars air conditioning. It takes the humidity from the air and absobes the moisture. The only problem is the heater dryer has to have refrigerant flowing through it for it to work. So, I called a good freind of mine (who happens to be an AC guru lol) We talked. Basically the heater dryer is filled with a moisture absorbant material ("Desicant", in his words). Pretty close to the silica packets you find in beef jerky, says do not eat. HIs recomendation was to look for a product called Dry z air. It contains the same moisture absorbing silica, plus some. look here
    http://drytheair.com/xcart/store/customer/home.php?cat=248
    Used for keeping excess moisture from building in boats etc when in storage. Well, if you could put this media in a bag at the bottom of a "can" (or preferably something prettier) in front or behind the incoming air, hell, maybe both. It would help to take moisture out of the incoming air, also with the addition of a bag of silica just set in the case it would reduce it more so.
    According to him, if you use it right, it wont impead air flow much, and hell if you are using a water cooler for the cpu, the only things you need to worry about are the mobo, ram, and NB. So, one intake, one, or two outlet.
    Kinda long but I put some thought into it. It isn't foolproof for sure but, I figured why not? "All critisism welcome" Thanks

10. bellringr

bellringr Member Guru

GPU:
    Rough sketch for dryer

I kinda sketched the dryer idea and figured I would post it. Just a rough idea of what it might look like or close anyways. I hope it shows up ok. My writing kinda sucks but eh:)

11. G L

G L Don Juan

GPU:
    Leadtek 8800 GTS 640 MB 600/1000
    I doubt this would remove enough moisture to mean you wouldn't have to insulate, also I'd guess you'd need to change them from time to time... and besides, insulation does work if you do it right. You would insulate around each block that chilled water passes through as well as the tubing itself. The end result isn't terribly pretty but I believe it is plenty effective.

12. bellringr

bellringr Member Guru

GPU:
    Oh no, I definatly agree, you would still have to insulate it for sure. I just figured you can never be too carefull, especially in really humid areas.
    As for changing the media, yes, Russ says probably about one to two months just to be safe. Sorry, I never meant for it to replace other precausions, it just struck me as a good extra precaution. Thanks BTW

13. Kain

Kain Ancient Guru

I hadnt seen you already posted in this thread.
    Actually your idea is not that bad but it stays short when talking about the power of a 226 watts peltier.

A friend of mine wanted to do the same with silca gel and well, he couldnt.
    I told him that was not enough to stop all the condensation and the power of the peltier.
    He made a controller so that he could use his peltier (DD one) at just 100 watts.

His main idea was to stick it in a XP-120 and cool the fins (yes, thats weird) instead of cooling directly the CPU (processor).

In this case, it worked, but when raising the voltage so that wattage gets up to 200 watts it was not enough.

Those are Xtreme Cooling solutions and should always be very carefull.
    They dont work the best for a 24/7 solution (mainly for benchmarks).

Now, he´s were buying the Swiftech Insulator Grease to make some other experiments.

Will post them in some weeks though...

14. chris_clark

chris_clark Member

GPU:
    BFG 7800GT OC 256mb
    ive only seen one of these in use gave some nice results but i will stick to normal methods of fans.

15. krazyredboy

krazyredboy Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 8gb
    For Bellringr:

It is a nice idea, however, from my knowledge (and I may not be absolutely certain, it's just my experience) when you take most of the moisture out of the air, you will increase the tendency and possibility a of static discharge. When I worked in a computer center, we always had to maintain a certain level of humidity, just for that reason. I think that it is best to just focus on good insulation around the areas prone to condensation.

16. bellringr

bellringr Member Guru

GPU:
    Krazyredboy:
    Thats a good point, I hadn't thought of that. Eh, besides, I actually did a little bit more research on it and found it to be a pretty weak idea anyway. That stuff in circulating air will only take out a cup every 2-3 weeks. It would never keep up with the moisure in the air, and even if it did, you'd have to change the stuff every week or more. Bummer.
    BTW, I really like this sticky KAIN, I hope I'm not stealing youre wind man. I am looking forward to any results you have on youre tests.

17. Kain

Kain Ancient Guru

Well, actually, I think we´re not going to see my results since of working a lot right ow to stay without PC and having a mess in my room.

Also, Im thinking on upgrade my PC so I cant really spend in a lot of money (And Im very happy with Water cooling).

But... why dont you post some results?

18. bellringr

bellringr Member Guru

GPU:
    Oh, kinda have a VERY similar problem BUT. I think I might be able to get something going. I have a good list of available parts and am close to getting what I might need. I had to sell my computer after being laid off to pay some bills, but I saved some parts that would come in handy. Instead of cloging the sticky, IM me. I would really enjoy it but I could use some help with the details. IE sources for parts what o use etc. I would love it.
    Thanks

19. Kain

Kain Ancient Guru

Hadnt seen your post man.

Just add me to your MSN messenger. I will help you there.

20. Reeddog

Reeddog New Member

GPU:
    MSI 4830
    I like your ideas about using a peltier to cool a CPU. I was talking about it with a tech at work a few weeks ago then I ran across your thread. I am going to throw in my two cents worth.

What if you used the peltier to cool the liquid in a liquid cooled system? You could remove the condesation on the processor problem. Remove the heat from the case with less effort, reduce the size of the radiator and cool the liquid to a lower temperature.

Can you control the temperature of a peltier with voltage or current control?

Reed