Mozilla Stops Firefox 64-bit Development

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Nov 23, 2012.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Weird, It looks like Mozilla has given up on developing Firefox 64-bit and it seems the decision is final.Citing reasons that Firefox 64-bit is a "constant source of misunderstanding and frustr...

Mozilla Stops Firefox 64-bit Development

2. Mikedogg

Mikedogg Guest

GPU:
    Radeon HD 4650M 1GB
    Well that's a kick in the nuts!

I wonder if this will include Waterfox.

3. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Well maybe they should just focus on one browser at a time instead of the many variations that they have. eg: Aurora, Waterfox etc.

4. Mikedogg

Mikedogg Guest

GPU:
    Radeon HD 4650M 1GB
    Waterfox is being developed independently, same source code, different development.

I think.

5. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Ah, cool. My bad.

6. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    That is a bit lame really considering that 64-bit operating systems have been around for years now.

True, not that many games and applications are coded as 64-bit either but Internet Explorer and Opera are so it just highlights a weakness in Firefox IMO. Personally, I think the quality of Firefox itself has dropped somewhat since they switched to monthly release cycles. I now find more incompatibility issues and glitches than with any other browser, including Internet Explorer.

7. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    True that, the amount of time FF freezes when i go to download something is a joke, and those muppets at Adobe need to sort out their flashplayer.

Why unless Muppet's has a capital M and a ' is it considered a spelling error

8. Mikedogg

Mikedogg Guest

GPU:
    Radeon HD 4650M 1GB
    Just a bit of speculation here: but does anyone else think the "tablet genera" is responsible for this?

I haven't had that much experience with tablets but do they even do x64?

9. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    I dont know but imo tablets and the mobile sector have seen more change/improvements then any other tech of late, so yeah. Lost my trail of thought.

10. JohnMaclane

JohnMaclane Ancient Guru

GPU:
    8800GTS 640mb
    They don't, ARM has just recently been talking about developing a 64-bit series of processors.

The point however is that 64-bit is not a do or die feature of a browser, not that I use firefox prefer chrome for its clean interface.

11. chanw4

chanw4 Guest

GPU:
    NITRO+ RX6800XT SE
    They don't and it doesn't matter. This just shows the firefox developers are not able to produce a working 64bit browser.

12. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    Wouldn't even make a difference if they were 64 bit, they're mostly ARM based, not x86.

There's like one x86 Atom (Android) phone I've heard of and no tablets. Who knows, in 2 years from now when I'm phablet hunting maybe AMD or Intel will have a decent x86 based one available. Assuming AMD don't decide to quadruple the salaries of their CEOs while firing another 40% of their workforce.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2012
  13. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

What reason is there not to run x64 Firefox these days? You have x64 Flash, which not having it was the main downside of x64 Firefox previously.

I use a developer preview available here:
    http://fbuild.com/

(the one at the very top). Just because I can :). I'm guessing that particular build will cease to exist...

Despite the reasons given, it is much more likely the reasoning for shelving the x64 version is because of the preference of the developers. Some plugins may not work, but these plugins probably aren't in widespread use. Personally I use a persona (which are compatible with x64 Firefox), although the minimise etc buttons look ugly in it because they're the standard Windows ones, which look great in Windows 7, and both Noia buttons and Noia Scrollbars which also work for Firefox x64.

Also the x64 versions are all pre-release versions, so it make sense that there are more reported issues with them!

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 23, 2012
  14. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    Firefox is quickly becoming the new IE, and I don't mean that in a good way. It currently seems to be the one with the most problems, the most arrogant devs, and making all sorts of weird decisions. This includes stuff like sloppy hardware acceleration, refusing to use the new Flash plugin API (which would make everyone's life easier if they did), the version number scheme, and repeatedly stating better CPU and ram usage when I hear there is no difference.

15. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    Sticking with FF, probably out of stubborn-ness but mainly due to Adblock, Chrome crashing on me every time I watch a Youtube video, IE being IE and Opera lacking Adblock.

16. Black_ice_Spain

Black_ice_Spain Guest

GPU:
    5700XT
    you can disable chrome integrated flash so it uses the same one than mozilla (should stop crashing).

And chrome already added a good-way to their plugin API so adblockers can block everything.

Imo with that last thing which was missing for a long time (adblockers worked, but no perfect, many times downloading apps and hiding). Except maybe memory usage but well... i have 8gb :p

17. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    I’ve never had Chrome crashing on me with YouTube videos, and that’s on a laptop, both partitions at home and also my work PC.

I also use Adblock Plus with Chrome which works perfectly.

Firefox seems to be getting worse all the time, most people only still use it out of habit, I did the same for a while before giving up on it as I used to have it at the top of my browser list.

Now it’s fifth, behind Chrome, IE, Opera and Safari.

18. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    I tried Waterfox and saw absolute no difference speeds wise on my system. Only difference I saw was waterfox would crash and burn once week just trying to start the program up and screw up win 7 aero forcing me to reboot. Mean while Normal Firefox has never crashed on. Only problems its ever had was it would have plugin crash every once in while

19. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    2 point:

-is it usefull to use a X64 internet browser over a x86? i would say no as perf are nearly the same and it use nearly no resource on modern hardware.

-why don't use a x64 version of Firefox? just because you can and your computer is 64 bit :3eyes: (at least until now lol)

now my own personal pov: compared to "modern" internet browser, Firefox (even the last version) is a bit slow and heavy, becoming the n°1 in the XP era make it loose what make it shiny.

some said it is like IE, i would said it is worse nowaday.

20. JEskandari

JEskandari Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3060 (95w)
    well if you can find a plug in like "ErrorZilla Plus" for chrome that reload pages automatically if they fail to load then I'm Game .
    https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/firefox/addon/errorzilla-plus/