The Almighty SubWoofer Thread

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by RagDoll_Effect, Jan 24, 2014.

1. Rebel975

Rebel975 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX680 SC+
    Hah. I don't agree. Having measured my system recently I have issues between 0-40Hz and 60-100Hz.

I tried implementing a 12" sub to take out a 20dB drop at 35Hz but all it did was shift the drop to another region.

I could be running a sine wave at 50Hz and get 100dB, for example. I then turn the 12" sub up to max and now I'm only measuring 93dB. It's driving me crazy. My room is terrible for bass.

2. RagDoll_Effect

RagDoll_Effect Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x nvidia GTX 560 SLI
    Have you tried adjusting the phase settings for each sub, maybe push, pull ?

regards,
    RagDoll.

3. Rebel975

Rebel975 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX680 SC+
    Yeah, unfortunately all I can do is make it worse.

4. RagDoll_Effect

GPU:
    2x nvidia GTX 560 SLI
    Have you tried room treatment, such as reflective wall material?

regards,
    RagDoll.

5. mezball

mezball Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Ventus RTX 4080
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2014
  6. Tat3

Tat3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super
    Sounds like a standing wave problem there.
    http://www.audioholics.com/room-acoustics/listening-room-acoustics-1

7. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Master Guru

GPU:
    Msi GTX 970 Gaming 4G
    Quick question for those more knowledgeable than me (all of you) - I'm trying to find a rattle in my sub. I'm using an OLD Logitech Z-5300e speaker system.
    During sustained bass/reverb, everything sounds great. It will rumble the walls & floor and completely fill a room with deep sound. Best I can describe this is the underlaying bass-guitar in music.
    But a hard single note, like the foot pedal of a drum set, causes a rattle sound from the sub. Sounds both wooden & metalic. I have Pandora going right now, and "Carry On" by Fun. is playing, and I'm not hearing a single rattle from it. Right before that, "Poker Face" was rattling up a storm.
    I tried playing with the Bass Redirection in the Sound Blaster software, without much luck. Starting at 80Hz and moving to about 140Hz I can cut back on the rattle, but the music sounds lifeless and flat.

Any tips from anyone (aside from getting a new system) before I start digging into the sub itself? I'd rather have some idea of what to look for before I accidentally mess something up.

8. RagDoll_Effect

GPU:
    2x nvidia GTX 560 SLI
    Sounds like you're reaching the limits of your sub. Did you use bass redirection and set your satts to small? Then set the frequency to 120hz...

regards
    ,RagDoll.

9. Rebel975

Rebel975 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX680 SC+
    Wall treatments/etc. are definitely on my list of things to get. But it'll be a while before I have some for sure.

10. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Master Guru

GPU:
    Msi GTX 970 Gaming 4G
    I have the "Full Range speakers" option Unchecked, both in SB & Windows configs, so I assume that's what you mean by setting them to small. Normally I don't use the Bass Redirection, as I spend most of my time gaming, and I don't seem to hear any rattles with that.
    Will set the bass slider to 120 and see/hear how that works.
    Also, what purpose is the "Bass gain" in the Sound Blaster software? It's only available when the Bass Redirect is on, but seems to add a little bit of life back into the sound. Or is it just a 'halfway' option between the bass redirect slider & default?

11. RagDoll_Effect

GPU:
    2x nvidia GTX 560 SLI
    Bass Redirect acts as/like a crossover, bass gain will only affect the LFE channel. Try it on 120, and yeah it's necessary to use bass redirection to tell your speakers at what point they will redirect bass to the subwoofer/LFE channel, especially seeing as you are not using an A/V receiver or anything like that...

regards
    ,RagDoll.

12. DSparil

DSparil Guest

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3080
    ooooh, subwoofer thread! Sorry for the crap image, but for my home theatre system I have a powered DCM 100-watt sub that rips quite nicely! It's a bottom firing model and luckily no one lives directly below me atm ;) http://www.proacousticsusa.com/Products/Front12009040133920.jpg

For my PC, I have an Altec Lansing sub that is surprisingly good, considering it was a 3-pack of speakers and not an add on individual subwoofer. I guess you just can't go wrong with Altec Lansing. Much better picture of this set :D http://apacelli.com/photo/altec-lansing/altec-lansing-vs4121-1.jpg

13. RagDoll_Effect

GPU:
    2x nvidia GTX 560 SLI
    Cool :) Both look good, the Altec Lansing looks really good for what it is, how much watts is it? :)

regards,
    RagDoll.

14. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    My JLA W6v3

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My Bazooka dual 8"

[​IMG]

Bunch of audio gear I used in my car

[​IMG]

15. RagDoll_Effect

GPU:
    2x nvidia GTX 560 SLI
    So, when that car is a rockin, don't come a knockin :) Brilliant car setup, did you install it all yourself? :)

regards,
    Ragdoll.

16. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    Yes. Didn't get any pics of my HU but it's a Sony BT (something) lol. 6" touchscreen.

The sound damping was a real pain, I'll never do that again. Next time I think I'll keep it a little more simpler.

17. RagDoll_Effect

GPU:
    2x nvidia GTX 560 SLI
    All good :) My car has a 1000 watt sub, just a standard box, 12 inch BOSS driver...lol but it produces enough clean bass and I have Clarion speakers :)

regards,
    RagDoll.

18. DSparil

DSparil Guest

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3080
    Thanks man. I'm not 100% sure, but from memory I want to say the PC speaker system is around 32W RMS and the PC woofer around 20W. It really seems to rip though and there is no distortion at higher volume levels. Only small complaint is that when I crank the woofer too high, the bass can become a bit "undefined" and somewhat woofy sounding. Then again, at those bass levels all I can hear is bass so I never even get close to that high on the sub lol

19. RagDoll_Effect

GPU:
    2x nvidia GTX 560 SLI
    Also, the X-Fi soundcards are some of the best ever made imo, the z series is good too, but the recons apparently weren't very good... I've still got a Titanium X-Fi which served me well. :) Rock on :)

regards,
    RagDoll.

20. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    I had some issues with my X-fi Fatl1ty and Windows 8.1. I doubt Creative fixed them cause I'm pretty sure they mostly abandoned the old Xfi's. Great cards but they need to work on their support which they won't.