Shadow Warrior - Reimagining

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Damien_Azreal, May 10, 2013.

1. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    Copied from Bluesnews.com

Awesome. Devolver Digital is beyond awesome these days, and while it had it's problems, Hard Reset was pretty good.
    So, I can't wait to see what they manage to do with the Shadow Warrior series.

2. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    Shadow Warrior was one of my favorite games back in the day. Hope this actually ges made.

3. dark_surge

dark_surge Master Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA 1080
    This is awesome news if it's true. Hopefully they keep the same dirty old man killing machine persona in tact, though I don't know how well today's politically-correct-and-everything-is-offensive internet crowd will take to it.

Most of my memories of the original were spent at my friend's house on his dad's Pentium computer and Windows 95. My 486 just wouldn't cut it. I remember being blown away by just how great the graphics were. And that sticky bombs were amazing. It was just so much fun thinking of clever ways to kill enemies in that game, and of course all the crazy things Lo Wang would say. I finally bought it on GOG about a year ago but I have yet to revisit it. This seems like as good of a reason as any. :)

Last edited: May 10, 2013
  4. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Shadow Warrior - Reimagining, Features guaranteed:

• Quicktime events.
    • Button mushing to open doors and stuff.
    • Pointless achievements - (eg:You've started a new Game - Heres an achievement so your friends believe you).
    • Poor useage of Tess, AO, broken AA and HD (see:12x12) Textures.
    • Install on release day and get a whole months wait for a patch and drivers to disable crashes, absolutely free - A whole month!.

Leave the old games alone, there's a reason the original never got a follow up....because you know, progress, changing with the times, either and or both.

So...as you can see, I dont quite feel as strongly about this as the rest of you, because, F**King it up is the new norm in anything considered creative.

5. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    Yeah. Because of low sales and controversy surrounding the game's portrayal of the main character.

Several people from 3DR said they'd love to revisit Shadow Warrior, but due to financial reasons never got the chance.

But, I don't see why one would instantly assume QTE and such. It's not like Flying Wild Hog made those huge things in Hard Reset... or, had them in the game at all.

6. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Its just damn near every release over the last year or so has some of 'locate the 'x' key and tap it lots so you dont die.'

I just find it to be utterly pointless and demeaning/insulting to my intelligence to mash the same button over and over rather than having something creative like for eg: using the mouse and swiping it towards your enemy (eg within in eg:when you get attacked by a tiger in FC3) and that will cause the players free arm to throw a punch or get stabby with a knife, instead of sitting tapping E and hoping your tapping it fast enough.

Playable on release is a thing of the past, along with stable AA that doesn't get broken with a patch......aannnd I don't even know why I'm bitching tbh.

Looking forward to it none the less so thanks for sharing, I would however like to call you in a friendly way mind you....A legless velociraptor for not sharing sooner said fact that the original is available on GOG, off to buy that now.

Thooougggh, you'd have to admit that instead of tap the button lots qte's, a popup mini game of put the triangle block through the correct hole before x amount of time runs out, would be far more engaging.

7. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    The original Shadows Warriors (1989) is a scrolling beat em up like Double Dragon from the Coin-op. Only thing it did different to other beat em ups at the time was the ability to interact with the 2D environment like swingin off lamposts while kicking the enemy etc.

8. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    That's spiffy. Except this Shadow Warrior is part of the 1996 FPS Shadow Warrior. ;)

9. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    Unfortunately I doubt it will be anything like the original because of this reason alone. Everyone is so afraid of offending people these days.

10. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    I seriously doubt Volition care if they offend when it comes to Saints Row. ;)

But, it's a thin line. 3DRealms goal with Shadow Warrior wasn't to offend or be insanely politically incorrect with Lo Wang.
    They were trying to do the opposite of Duke Nukem. An amalgamation of various campy, b-level Asian action films.

But, there's more to Shadow Warrior then just being "offensive"... and if that's all people are looking forward to in a new SW, then I'm gonna loose interest in it.
    It's been made clear in the past that Devolver Digital don't really care what anyone else in the industry thinks of them.
    And if they cared about being offensive, they probably wouldn't have published Hotline Miami.

But, a new Shadow Warrior shouldn't strive to be offensive. That was the problem with DNF. It tried to hard to be something it never should've been. Overly funny. DNF should've been like DN3D, serious... with a thin line of black humor and sarcasm.
    Shadow Warrior had a bit more camp then DN3D, but it was also trying to be it's own serious action game with some camp, black humor and sarcasm.

11. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    I agree and I'm not saying that the game must be offensive to be good. It's just a shame that most developers don't have the guts to put a game out that they want to make. They are forced to make changes based on publisher demands, crazy offended parents, or even crazier upset fans that don't think the game is up to their standards.

Could you imagine what would happen if they released the game with some of the original Shadow Warrior quotes in it?

http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Shadow_Warrior

"Just like Pearl Harbour" would definitely be pulled.

Now hopefully the game is not just a remake and a completely new experience anyway. Next I hope someone decides to do Red-Neck Rampage. That was another fun one.

12. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    From what I've read, Devolver and Flying Wild Hog are planning this as a serious new take on Shadow Warrior.
    Hopefully they'll put out some solid media and information soon.

13. Cubemonkey

Cubemonkey Member Guru

GPU:
    Crossfire 7970s
    Played a TON of Shadow Warrior multiplayer back in the day. This game will be nothing like it, but it's nice to see an old IP come back to life. It LOOKS nice so far, at least.

14. MarkyG

MarkyG Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 4070Ti
    Whooo wantaa soome Waaang?! I surely do. Can't wait. :)

15. Radiopassive

Radiopassive Banned

GPU:
    Gainward HD 4870 1G
    I really liked Redneck Rampage and Shadow Warrior, spent tens of hours playing them - both games deserve a HD remake at least if not proper sequel. But Shadow warrior's crazy humor and voxel weapons were legendary in particular.

16. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
  17. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Cheers JonasB.

Is that Cryengine or U3?

18. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    This is done by the team behind Hard Reset so I assume this re-imagining of Shadow Warrior will be using that game engine. :)
    (Devolver Digital as the publisher and Flying Wild Hog as the developer studio.)

EDIT: The screenshots are also available from the developers website now. :)
    http://flyingwildhog.com/game/shadow-warrior

Last edited: May 20, 2013
  19. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    Yes, as far as is known it's using the "Road Hog Engine" which is FWH's own property engine.
    Game looks great.

20. MarkyG

MarkyG Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 4070Ti
    Lo Wang or bust. No Lo Wang, no purchase. He made Shadow Warrior.