Bought my first NAS! :D

Discussion in 'Network questions and troubleshooting' started by dcx_badass, Mar 2, 2011.

1. dcx_badass

dcx_badass Guest

GPU:
    Palit GTX 1060 6GB
    Bought a Nas, went for a D-Link DNS-323, a pretty old model but seems popular and fairly well supported, also only £50 new so not bad, bought two nice 2TB Samsung F4's to go in it in Raid 1 aswell. 9.7TB now! So excessive.

Anyone got a DNS-323? I'm going to mod it with fun plug so it can take a USB external drive to back up my most important files to weekly aswell. Got one 2TB drive here and the other and the NAS are due early next week.

Unfortunately can't use it attached to the router so for the foreseeable future it's going to be wired straight into my desktop anyway, but it's fair for the future at least.

2. aircool

aircool Don Aircooleone Staff Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 560 Ti 448 Core
    pr0n back up server eh? :D

Going to keep it far enough away?

3. dcx_badass

dcx_badass Guest

GPU:
    Palit GTX 1060 6GB
    Under my desk :p.

But nah the external hard drive that has the important stuff on (photos, work etc, not media, raid 1 should be enough for that), will be kept somewhere else, then I'll rotate the external hard drives every so often (have two the same) so always a recent ish back up off site.

4. Finchwizard

Finchwizard Don Apple

GPU:
    -
    Got to love NAS's.

I have 11TB with Dual Disk Redundancy.

5. dcx_badass

dcx_badass Guest

GPU:
    Palit GTX 1060 6GB
    I don't like it, it's way too slow at ~10MB/s. I'm going to try return it and was looking at buying this:
    http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en/sm/WF05a/15351-15351-4237916-4237918-4237917-4248009.html

It should have much faster transfer speeds right?
    What OS do people recommend, was looking at unRaid, and FREENAS. They any good? I want to run Raid 1, these OS's run a Software RAID, is that still ok?

Thanks.

It says that the HP Micro Server supports Raid 1, would I set this in the bios? How would I then set up the OS in Raid 1 aswell or would that mean two Raid 1's and it would conflict.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2011
  6. Paradigm

Paradigm Guest

GPU:
    XFX 8800GT Alpha Dog
    you and me both bro.....

i bought me a NETGEAR NASDUO....loaded with 2x2 TB, backed up nearly all of my collection of software (setups+drivers), Doc's and what-not's

only problem is my lappie's (yes i am using a laptop, but i am far away from my real-rig...and currently hooked up with a DV5T (9600mgt/2.5 penryn+4GB+750GB) wifi (an intel 5100AGN) is annoying as hell, can't maintain a 150MBps from the airport extreme (more stable at 90-108MBps)

7. dcx_badass

dcx_badass Guest

GPU:
    Palit GTX 1060 6GB
    Been going for 12 hours so far and done 400 out of 650GB. Why god why!

8. dcx_badass

dcx_badass Guest

GPU:
    Palit GTX 1060 6GB
    Yeah I'm buying a microserver :D.

Right so what OS, am I best using something like freenas with a web interface, or something with a desktop so I can use it as a basic PC aswell.

Most important thing is I want Raid 1.
    Thanks.

9. allesclar

allesclar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    get your wallet out for the proliant servers then ;)

10. DrHycodan

DrHycodan Guest

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 2080
    what is a NAS?

11. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    network attached storage

12. dcx_badass

dcx_badass Guest

GPU:
    Palit GTX 1060 6GB
    So confused over which OS, read loads about it and still can't decide.

Someone said WHS, but I don't like the idea of drive pool, I want a proper Raid 1 (software I guess), but then WHS uses NTFS, so easy to pull and connect to another PC.

FreeNAS, seems simple and seems to mostly do what I want, but if one drive dies I can't just connect the other to a PC.

Agggghhhhhh.

13. Alan87i

Alan87i Active Member

GPU:
    gtx 260
    I run WHS for close to 2 years on a PC . Have had some hair pulling moments setting it up. But so far so good . It saved My son and my self a whole lot of head aches when both our WD black system drives failed 3 months apart.
    My only issue is the 20 GB install partition ( Should be able to choose a larger system partition)

I Wanted to use it as a host for a few games ( run the dedicated servers on )
    I do run an X10 controller for lights in the house.
    Media streaming to xbox's and a wd live player.
    Downloads RSS feeds for me and streams them to pc's or a TV .
    My choice was for the automatic back up's. I have no choice for high speed than to share it wireless with my folks and have setup a rather large network with a few other neighbors out here in the sticks . My Parents don't have to mess with backing up stuff as it's all done by leaving the PC on over night.

14. Finchwizard

Finchwizard Don Apple

GPU:
    -
    You'll have that with most drives in NAS's.
    Unless you're using Windows Software RAID1.

I still suggest you get FreeNAS or OpenFiler.

Ideally what you want is FreeNAS or OpenFiler installed onto a USB drive which is reliable, and use the multiple drives you have as the DATA and pick sometime that's going to meat your storage and reliability needs.

RAID5 is a good place to start. RAID6 is ideally better but the two additional disks can add that extra bit of $$ for no usable space.

15. dcx_badass

dcx_badass Guest

GPU:
    Palit GTX 1060 6GB
    Sorry, forgot about thread. Server came and is shiny. Have Windows Home Server Vail (2011) RC on atm, and find it pretty good, like been able to remote desktop in and also the easy management of external devices such as hard drives and flash drives. Got a few things I'd like to sort but nothing major, but will ask them on another more WHS orientated site.

Running Raid 1 in windows server atm. At the moment all I'm really doing is playing until the final WHS Vail is out. I've never used Windows Raid before, I'm using Raid 1, if I do a clean install of the OS is there a way to save the raid (or move it to another PC, should the server die)?

16. dcx_badass

dcx_badass Guest

GPU:
    Palit GTX 1060 6GB
    New server is pulling about 65mb/s transfer rates without jumbo frames (server doesn't support it). Which I think is pretty good, especially compared to the NAS' 7-12mb/s. Also the advantage of USB for easy transfer.

Question, it sometimes peaks at 110mb/s for a few seconds every so often. Any way I can pull the 65mb/s up closer to the 110?
    Thanks.

17. dcx_badass

dcx_badass Guest

GPU:
    Palit GTX 1060 6GB
    Just a quick update, I've ended up with two of the Microservers haha, one is still boxed but there for when I get a proper network going after uni.

Still not pulling great speeds at about 50mb/s. Not too bad, but I'd like better.

Running WHS2011 Raid 1.

18. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    I have been thinking of getting one also for my large media collection.

19. TirolokoRD

TirolokoRD Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 980TI ACX 2
    I never undestand why people use NAS when they are so slow....I prefer to pick two USB3 external drives and connect it to the PC...

Or maybe I am to simple or dumb! :p

20. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    So ti can be used by any of the devices on the network.

To point out many newer NAS style drive enclosures have USB I/O if you need such a connections.