Temps on my 570s approaching 90C

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by jez_uk1, Mar 15, 2012.

1. jez_uk1

jez_uk1 Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 SLI
    Hi all,

I have a couple of MSI 570s. One is the Twin Frozr II, the other their standard 570 product. Both are quite new and I haven't altered the cooling at all. The test was done with the case closed but it's well ventilated and the ambient internal temperature was around 27C during this test. I get similar results with the case open.

I know these things get quite hot, and I'm not overly concerned becuase I'm around 7-8C clear of the 97C thermal threshold but it does surprise me how hot these cards are getting and I haven't even really overclocked them much. I tried running them at 820Mhz with around +30mV core voltage increase and admittedly the temps didn't go much higher.

Anyway - what do you guys think? Probably going to have to stick a couple of waterblocks onto them, or some other solution. The supplied cooler isn't really handing it too well imo!

Some data here:

[​IMG]

Cheers

2. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    you running auto fan? try running 100% or 85% if you havent flashed your gpu bios and report temps if they are much better, set up an aggressive fan profile

3. jez_uk1

jez_uk1 Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 SLI
    You can see from the charts the fans are practically running at 100% and the temp stabilised at 89C on the GPU1

4. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    hard to see o my fone. what case do you have. I been running my cards at my specs. 1113mv since launch. I see max 80c gpu1 74-75c gpu 2 with a fan profile. stock coolers

5. ground_zero298

ground_zero298 Master Guru

GPU:
    integrated
    Problem with the 570 is the piss poor design. Just keeps dumping heat into the case and recirculating it. need a way to get the heat out of the case.

My case is pressurized and flow was designed to remove the heat from my 570. Max load on mine won't break 60c. I wanted to sli them but I knew I would over cook 1 card because of the lack of sli spacing on my mobo.

If you have a side fan I would recommend flipping it and having it blow out of the case to pull the heat. Cool air coming in don't mean squat if it can't get the heat them 570 are dumping in the case out.

6. jez_uk1

jez_uk1 Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 SLI
    Thermaltake RX-I Overseer
    But I've had the case open too, the temps are marginally lower but not by much. I dont think it's a general cooling issue.

But but :) These ones are blowing air out the back like a beast.. Some is getting recirculated I guess but most of the hot air is shooting out the back

7. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    switch the cards around

8. maiker

maiker Guest

GPU:
    jhk
    I dont think it's a general cooling issue.
    [​IMG]

9. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    How many fans do you have and in what configuration? Honestly, in that case, a front intake fan won't do any good as the harddrive rack blocks the airflow.

First place to start is ensuring proper airflow to all components. Given that both his cards are running hot, "general cooling" is the best place to start.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2012
  10. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    evga hd coolers kinda suck for multi gpu. you could replace thermal paste, might drop 10c if you do it correctly.

11. nikavelli

nikavelli Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 780 Ti
    You could try disassembling your card. Some cards ship out with too much thermal paste applied to the chip, which can actually hinder cooling performance. Ideally, only a small amount of thermal interface material should be used to facilitate heat transfer from a chip to a heatsink; a paper-thin amount is all that is necessary. Some higher quality aftermarket paste should reduce heat by a few degrees.

If the backside of your card uses a metal retention/spring plate, sometimes they are not fully tightened or are slightly bent to the point where it's not applying optimal pressure. So that's another thing to check as your reassembling your card. Make sure everything is evenly tightened and secure so there's constant pressure. This will ensure good contact between chip and heatsink.

12. tweakpower

tweakpower Banned

GPU:
    MSI HD 6770
    Well, i don't see problem here, you said, and official nVidia site says:
    Maximum GPU Temperature (in C) 97 C.

I recently changed head for head GPU (to be able to connect TV), 9800GT for 8800GT, and on old temps was very low. Now, to ease your mind, look at temps on this card (8800GT).

GPU 71 °C (160 °F)
    GPU Memory 63 °C (145 °F)
    GPU Ambient 56 °C (133 °F)
    GPU 688 RPM (30%)

Those are at idle, room temp about 26-28c. When i start some game, it goes up to 88-90c for GPU, for other i didn't even look at. As long as it all works fine, no need to worry.

One interesting thing is, fan starts to spin at 96c or more (not sure), and i was only able to get that temp when i started Furmark (was concerned about temps), it eventually reached about 98c (room temp was over 30c, did it on purpose), fan kicked in, and kept card at 90c, never reached more then 70%.

Some cards are just designed that way, it is way how they work, nothing to worrya bout, if you don't have any real problem.

13. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Those are max operating temps in a hostile environment.
    Only expect the card to last as long as the warranty if you dont overclock it.

As stated, make sure your case side fan is on and change the thermal paste on the GPUs.
    If the fan has speed settings, play with those.

14. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Soooo.... you consider 71c idle temps quite normal and don't mind deliberately running your card up to 98c with Furmark...interesting.

My 8800GTX idles around 58c and maxes out at ~75-80c iirc...that's what I would consider normal temps...tbh I'm surprised your GT is still alive - sounds like it's had a hard life.

If ATI stated my GPU's max temp was 97c, rest assured I wouldn't let it get anywhere near that temperature....

Athlon X2's TjMax is prob 72c, but I'm sure you don't think to yourself "hey that means I can safely run my CPU at 72c all day long".

15. KopyKat007

KopyKat007 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 960 SC
    Yeah i agree with this, my 8800GTS 512 started idling at like 70ish C temps when it used to do like 50ish and i knew something was wrong as i also have 2 more fans in my case over stock, it would go up to close or over 90ish C temps under load and it would give me the crash of death, this is after about 5 years of overclocked usage stable, thats why i bought a new GPU lol.

I still think i might be able to clean it out and bake it back to life but im not counting on it and im waaaay happier with my 550Ti now for what i use it for lol.

As of right now i see idle of 36C and most under load OCed at 76ish max.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2012

16. tweakpower

tweakpower Banned

GPU:
    MSI HD 6770

Hehe, well, to be honest, i don't really know. But if I'm on his place, i wouldn't worry, because there is warranty, and if something brake down, it's not hes fault :).

Really? I don't want to highjack this thread, but if GTX idles at 58c, then GT should work at lower temps. Anyway, when they test GPU (CPU's also) due to the standards, real maximum temperature (or something else, like for example cars, and how much miles/kilometers they can do) should be around 10%+ less then lowest temp (m/km for car, more) one part did and broke. So, if max temp is 97c (105c for 8800GT) then, the worst card in series should work perfectly fine at 107+c, and TjMAX have it's own "safe zone".

For CPU's, i wouldn't be fine if CPU run close to MAX temp. But same rule should be done on them to.

Anyway, what i wanted to say is that he should not worry about it because of warranty, but ofc, he should check if for that specific model those are operate temps. Maybe u r right, and he have faulty GPU.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2012
  17. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    1. If your motherboard allows it and you haven't tried already pop the second card lower down.

2.I'm guessing you went sli because 1 was not enough, but try your games with just 1 card when the extra gpu power isn't needed.

3. Take out any of the extra hard drive trays at the front that you're not using to allow more air to be pulled in from the front intake fan and even stick an additional fan (pulling) on the wall of the hard drive shelf - the one that is closets to the end of where you plug pci-e power into gpus

4. I could be wrong but i do believe some drivers can cause cards to work harder than they need to, I personally have only seen this once on my own PC.

5.You know the grills at the back of most gpu PCI brackets, I cut some of them out with tin snips to match the second cards bracket (Evga's high flow bracket) and that helped a bit, of course remove said bracket before cutting.

6.I'm ol greeeeggg - The Mighty Boosh , love that show.

18. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    ^Yeah...true what u say about the warranty. And maybe he has a crappy cooler...?

I thought it strange he got same temps no matter if case was open or closed...