Dell Inspiron E1705

Discussion in 'Laptops & Notebooks' started by MToguro, Aug 29, 2006.

1. MToguro

MToguro Master Guru

GPU:
    SLI Gigabyte G1 970s
    Gonna get this laptop, is it a good deal?

Inspiron E1705 Intel® Core™ 2 Duo processor T7400 (4MB Cache/2.16GHz/667MHz FSB)
    Operating System (Office software not included) Genuine Windows® XP Professional with re-installation CD
    LCD Panel 17 inch UltraSharp™ Wide Screen UXGA Display with TrueLife™
    Memory 2GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 533MHz
    Video Card 256MB NVIDIA® GeForce™ Go 7900 GS
    Hard Drive 100GB 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive
    AC Power Adapters 90 Watt Spare AC Adapter
    Network Card Integrated 10/100 Network Card and Modem
    Adobe Software Adobe® Acrobat® Reader 7.0
    Combo/DVD+RW Drives 8x CD/DVD burner (DVD+/-RW) with double-layer DVD+R write capability
    Sound Options Integrated Sound Blaster® Audigy™ HD Software Edition
    Wireless Networking Cards Intel PRO/Wireless 3945 Internal Wireless, Netgear 802.11g wireless router
    Office Software (not included in Windows XP) No productivity suite- Includes Microsoft Works 8. DOES NOT INCLUDE MS WORD
    Anti-Virus/Security Suite (Pre-installed) PC-cillin Internet Security: AntiVirus, Firewall, Spyware removal 36-months
    Primary Battery 53 WHr 6-cell Lithium Ion Primary Battery
    Hardware Warranty SAVE ($50 After Rebate) 4Yr Ltd Warr, At-Home Svc, Warranty Support
    Dial-Up Internet Access 6 Months of America Online Membership Included
    QuickSnap Options Mediterranean Blue QuickSnap™ Cover
    Future Operating Systems Windows Vista™ Capable
    Dell Digital Entertainment Starter pack- Basic and trial products from Corel and Yahoo
    Processor Branding Intel Centrino Core Duo Processor

TOTAL:$2,120.23

2. SorienOR

SorienOR Guest

GPU:
    BFG 8800GT + Acer 1080p
    Short answer..no.

First of all don't buy the ram upgrade from Dell, it costs twice as much as Newegg.

Second, do yo really need the 4-year warranty? 4 years is a lifetime in the PC world. Think about what a 4-year old laptop would have right now and decide if you would want to use that today. I say 2 year warranty is plenty.

Third are you using any coupons? If not you are getting ripped of pure and simple.

Check out coupon sites like www.techbargains.com or the deals forum at www.notebookforums.com

I found this:

25% off select Dimension Desktops $999+ (Excludes XPS) Code: G80QDB?HWT0GCJ Expires: Aug 31

Dell does that often..25% is would make that laptop only $1590

3. MToguro

MToguro Master Guru

GPU:
    SLI Gigabyte G1 970s
    Yeah, EPP Coupon company discount. Went down from $3,350. Thanks for the coupon, but that's a desktop, and I'd never not build my own desktop unless from ibuy/cyberpowerpc. And the 4 year plan is what is included in price, company extras. The difference between that and the 2 year is that the 4 year comes free due to my bonuses and 2 year is add 85. But of course the ram comes out more expensive, laptop ram is always more expensive. Could build this in a desktop for under 1500, but it's for portability with decent gaming. I've been looking at laptops from ibuypower.com, cyberpower.com, alienware.com, acer.com, newegg-prebuilt and dell.com and I'm still not sure what to get. Spending around $2,500 and that dell seems to be the best I can get with the best price-to-hardware ratio.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2006
  4. Infested Nexus

Infested Nexus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD Radeon™ HD 8850M
    Thats a fine laptop. Though as suggested abouve you may want to select a lower RAM option on the website and purchase additional RAM from elsewhere for cheaper.

5. scoutingwraith

scoutingwraith Guest

GPU:
    Tuf 3070Ti / P1000
    Thats a good laptop there m8. As the others suggested order ram from an online retailer such as www.newegg.com because it is much cheaper

A little of topic.
    Nexus do you know any website besides pricegrabber to offer Merom for the US
    I am looking for the T7400

6. Infested Nexus

Infested Nexus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD Radeon™ HD 8850M
  7. scoutingwraith

scoutingwraith Guest

GPU:
    Tuf 3070Ti / P1000
    Yeah i saw this one through PriceGrabber.com (leads me to the site). I was trying to find another one but no succes. I see DELL has them though.

EDIT: I think i should wait for a while when the other series come out and the prices become more reasonable since i think this is not the actual price but a bit over it.

8. SorienOR

SorienOR Guest

GPU:
    BFG 8800GT + Acer 1080p
    For $3280 you could get a real XPS with a Core 2 instead of a Core and a 7900GTX

But the epp probably won't apply to the XPS..:(

9. scoutingwraith

scoutingwraith Guest

GPU:
    Tuf 3070Ti / P1000
    Notice that the Laptop is with the mobile version of Core 2 Duo also known as Merom.

10. nm+

nm+ Don Cappuccino

GPU:
    old
    I disagree with sorien on the warranty in a general sense. You should get a warranty for as long as you plan to keep the notebook. the only reason I bought a new notebook was because my old one's warranty ran out and I didn't want to deal with a failed notebook and figuring all that out at the spur of the moment. Thatw as after 3 years. If, for example, you're going to college, 4 years is perfect as you'll be broke.
    Of course, this takes knowing what you'll want. As it looks like you want a gaming notebook, you need to realize that you probably won't want this as a gaming notebook after 2-4 years.
    So get one for as long as you need it. Note that these tend to fail near the end of the 2nd year and beyond. So extending is very worth it if you need that period. But if you're buying a new one in 2 years, get a 2 year warranty.
    /Notebooks are the only place where warranties are worth it, I've saved a small fortune.

11. TheGriffin

TheGriffin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Intel HD Graphics 3000
    Might want to upgrade that 6-cell battery to a 9-cell, you get approximately double the battery life.